Monday, May 31, 2021

Remember And Honor The Fallen

 It's Memorial Day, a day to remember all those who have fallen fighting for our freedom.  A moment of silence.


We can be ever so thankful that we haven't been in any wars the likes of World War I or II, or Korea or Vietnam.  Sadly, we are no longer the strong nation we used to be and so I pray we don't go there again.    


At any rate, those were my thoughts as I stared up into the sky yesterday while working on a little tan for the first time in years.  It's a good thing there were no drones flying overhead because they would have been shot down.

Squeezing into a five year old bathing suit is not a pretty picture.  At least those two helicopters that went by were too high to see anything.  Luckily I remembered the lounge chair was across the back forty up against the fence to keep the skunks at bay.  I drug it back to the grassy lawn and spent 30 minutes removing all the foxtails from my shoes.  


It's looks pretty awful, having laid on the ground for over a year.  This has to be the most sturdy, indestructible supposed-to-be-white plastic webbing on the planet.  It may have discolored, but it's as strong as ever, as evidenced by the fact that I did not fall through when I sat down.  I also covered it with a nice towel.

Of course being outside means play time for Cooper.  I hadn't been sitting one minute when he began barking.  The game is to roll the ball underneath the lounger so I have to twist and contort to reach it.  Then of course I have to throw the ball as far as possible, trying to wear him out running after it.  It never works.

If I try to ignore him, he barks, then does this ... sets it on the webbing and dares me to try and steal it.  What a card this kid is.


I actually spent the greater part of the day making this beautiful cherry crisp.  It's so easy ... just open a can of cherry pie filling.  On THIS occasion however, I made it ridiculously hard by deciding to use up all those cherries my neighbor gave me, rather than throw them away.  

Have you ever pitted cherries?  My first thought was to make a beeline for the big box of antiques in the garage.  Way back ... and I mean WAY BACK, Miss Patty and I used to collect such utensils to adorn the walls of our kitchens.  We had everything red and green, which was the colors of the wooden tools we coveted.  There was everything EXCEPT a cherry pitter.

And so I used my handy dandy knife to cut each and every one apart and dig the pit out with my fingernails.  Five cups of cut up cherries later, as you can imagine, I was a lovely shade of red.


It was worth every single second.  Of course I put way too much topping on it, but who doesn't like oats, brown sugar and butter?  I served it up in my best china!!  It's my red, white and blue tip of the hat on Memorial Day.


I missed one picture of the dinner prep yesterday.  This is the chicken chili.  I'll add a couple cups of water to the batch before cooking (it already has chicken bouillon in the mix).  Just to be sure I remember, I wrote the directions on each bag.  By the way, if in a hurry, these can all be cooked in an instant pot.

And so another skunk-free day goes by as I hit up Michaels and Joanns for my latest try to staunch the boredom.  CRAFTS!!  Not that I'm very crafty, but it's more fun (and less dangerous) than moving skunks!!

9 comments:

  1. Indy likes her chew stick (Pet Magasin Natural Rawhide Chips – Thick Beef Hides, Processed Without Additives Or Chemicals ... I have to cut them in half to make them the size of a large beef jerky) better than her ball. She will jump up on the chair next to me with chew stick in hand...I toss...she jumps back up BUT she will not give it to me. When I reach for it she growls and takes off expecting me to give chase...which I never do....so she returns and we do it over and over. Sometimes she plays tug-of-war with me as I try to take it out of her mouth. She is getting real good about catching it in mid-air. I toss out the chew stick every 10-14 days and she always loves her new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look that one up. Cooper might like that better than the ball, although they probably don't roll very well on the floor. That Indy ... she's a keeper and lucky she got a good Dad!!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh Cooper is so cute playing with the ball! He's so clever isn't he?! The second picture is so moving and beautiful! Oh that cherry crisp looks so yummy especially with the ice cream on top..yum! Love the chicken chili prep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooper is TOO cute, meaning he's spoiled rotten!! LOL

      Delete
  3. There's a recipe book called Well Fed that teaches you how to batch cook tasty Paleo meals. My body doesn't tolerate batch cooking but I can attest that the individual meals are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look that one up Linda. Sounds like it might be a good one.

      Delete
  4. OK. I've missed something here. I do read your blog every day (I'm pretty sure, but I'm also old) and I haven't seen the background on all those bagged meals. I saw the groceries all laid out for the project though! Did you really plan out 30 meals and how to bag them up and freeze them? I am very impressed! What an achievement
    I would kill for a piece of that cherry crisp.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Judith ... I'm on the same cherry crisp bandwagon!!
      I found the meals by accident on-line. I printed out four recipes and the shopping list, then made the 38 meals all in two hours. Super easy and the meals taste great!!

      Delete
  5. OUR country is alot stronger than you know or believe.

    ReplyDelete