Sunday, January 14, 2024

You Knew It Was Coming

 It's always a contest to see just how many trips we can make to the fabric stores.  On Saturday, we tested it out yet again.  I lounged around just chilling while Ray and Cindy hit a few yard sales.  When they returned, it was off to Arizona Marketplace where most all the fabric is on sale ALL the time.  Oh yes, Miss Penny gets to go everywhere.  She has her own shoulder bag that bits perfectly over Ray's shoulder.


Shopping for fabric to the smells of Carmel corn.  What could be better?  For those that aren't in the know, fabric now sells for around $12.00 a yard.  Some Tucson stores are hitting $14.00.  So when you find an entire ROOM full of fabric for $6.00 a yard, you go crazy.

Cindy has the eye.  She can find the most fabulous stuff in a sea of blah.  She handed me this bolt and I loved it.  I bought the whole thing!!  That usually ends up in an additional discount.


It didn't take long to accumulate three more bolt ends and enough fabric to last me another year.  But wait ... we still have one more store to hit up.  Gramma Jo's!!  


My quilting friends all know exactly where this is!  They have always carried the best of the best in southwest fabric, which is extremely hard to find anywhere else.  We always stock up big time when we are here.  

Sadly, I was told they were selling out.  NOOOOOOO that CAN'T BE!  On a good note, that meant all their fabric was on sale ... up to 50% off.  That equates back down to $6.00 a yard if you buy enough.  I can tell you, that has never been a problem.  Actually, the place has been sold and will remain open with a new owner, but probably higher prices. 


No kidding ..... 22 yards later, all at 50% off.  I knew there was a reason there was so much storage available under the bed of my rig.  Believe it or not, I saved $229.00 in one fell swoop!  I'll be burning up my sewing machine very soon!


But WAIT ... we were not home fifteen minutes before Ray and Cindy said those words ... maybe we should get backing for this quilt.  Oh yeah ... we were back in the store in an hour.  This time I only picked up a couple of small pieces.  Ray however, paid for ..... wait for it ..... another 20 yards!!!  It's an addiction I tell you!!

Back home, it was time to think about electricity again.  Ray said on some breakers you have to turn them completely off before trying to reset them.  I haven't seen that before, so I decided to give it a shot.  I knew from past electrical outages that there was a box in the pass through.  Of course it's one you have to lay on your back and reach for.  

You can't believe the descriptions here ... someone at the factory thought it would be funny to tape the description on the breakers in the wrong order.  

At any rate, I pushed it hard OFF .. and click!  I turned it back on and VOILA!!!!  I'm back in business!  I reset the GFI and everything worked again.  There's another little nugget of knowledge I will try to remember in the future.  


We were all exhausted from fabric shopping, so we lounged around in their living room for awhile.  I was graced by the presence of Miss Penny.  She is definitely a lap pup!


She is also the QUEEN of the dog park.  Every day at 3:00 it's Yappy Hour for the little kids.  I hesitate to take Cooper to dog parks because there are none near me.  That means he doesn't have the immunity most dogs have.  He greeted a few, but was more interested in smelling the smells.  Soon there were many, and the overprotective Mom in me picked him up.  Several people put out water for the kids and I didn't want him partaking.


Here's why.  I'm an old cowgirl.  You never EVER let your horse drink out of ANY water trough but your own.  There are too many things they can catch from troughs used by other horses that will kill them.  Most horse people nowadays don't even realize that, which is how horse diseases are spread.  

I knew Cooper would be thirsty from the long walk over to the park, and with zero immunity, I didn't want to take a chance.  Penny of course is around all these kids and this park all the time, so there's no problem for her.  This is Cooper's new friend ... what a cutie!


We took the long path home, both of us fading badly at the end.  In fact, I had to carry him the last 100 feet.  Poor guy was plumb wore out!


And so ended a gorgeous warm (almost 70 degree) sunny day.  I'll try to get Deb's phone number and maybe go for a drive today after I see what's on the schedule.  I've never been out to Ogilby Road before.  It might be a nice place for Cooper and I to dry camp some time.


22 comments:

  1. Stop the madness! You should be set in materials for years. If you get out Ogilby Road way, say hi to D&R for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got the breaker reset. I thought you knew to turn it off and then on or I would have mentioned that yesterday. Any breaker that trips, you always do a hard off and then on to reset it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I never knew that. I think I've turned many off and on, but never tripped one to know that's what it does. I know now! Thanks Bill.

      Delete
  3. You are going to be busy making guilty! Sounds like fun looking at all that beautiful fabric.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, it's like looking at Coldstone's ice cream counter. I want one of everything!

      Delete
  4. With this outbreak of 'Doggie Cough' that is starting to hit the Dog Population, we have decided to not take Indy to the Dog Park for now. (This started early last year) Daily I take her out to a couple of places that people like to walk their dogs, but at a time when there are no other dogs around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem anyone here has a problem, but I've heard other places have it bad.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the heads up about Arizona Market Place for fabric. Will need to stop by when I am close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely stop in. You will be surprised at their sales prices. It's bigger than many stores and their prices are right!!!

      Delete
  6. Wow. The fabric Cindy spotted is beautiful 😍. I agree with "no dog parks" for Cooper. Looks like another beautiful day in the neighborhood...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has finally arrived Elva!! I'll see you later today.

      Delete
  7. Glad to see my faith in your material shopping abilities was correct...lol I went into the material store, plus the sale one, when we went to the market place. Just for old times sake...lol
    They do have some beautiful material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha Deb! This time was a little different though ... I've now got 5 new patterns to use!!

      Delete
  8. Only another quilter can understand purchasing that much fabric at a time for your stash. Well done, you can never have enough fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right!!! Too bad I can't sew faster!!!

      Delete
  9. Wow so much pretty fabric. I am looking forward to your creations with it in the coming months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to use the bird fabric. And some new patterns will motivate me to sew faster!

      Delete