Saturday, January 20, 2024

Flying In The Dark

The title sounds like me trying to fix something.  I'm just flying in the dark by the seat of my pants.  These sunrises however ... they can give you pause.  I probably ran outside six times before I grabbed my big camera.  I'll post those images tomorrow ... because NOW ... lets REALLY fly in the dark!!


Bill is now the President of the Quartzsite Desert Flyers.  If you like airplanes (or even if you don't), you will love this club.  They have their own airfield just outside of town where they fly practically every morning.  If you are here, go take a look see.  Check them out on Facebook for dates and times.


You usually see them flying during the day, but add a few lights to the planes and you can imagine the fun they have.  I used to watch these many years ago ... watched them crash that is.  These guys ... they just fly these crazy planes with remote controls like it's child's play.


See the lights on the bottom?  That's so they can fly at night AND see the runway where they are landing.  There are many different kinds of planes, and every color combination under the sun.  They even change color while flying!


The fly upright ....... straight up to the moon until they stall out, spin around and head for the ground.


And they fly upside down!  How can your brain do that ... use the controls to fly upside down without crashing.  


Here's a crazy one .. yes he's flying, but my camera just picked up the lights and only shadows of the plane.  Pretty crazy looking.


The darker it got, the harder to photograph.  Bill got this plane out so Keith could fly a bit.


And blurry as it is because it's very dark now, this is Bills plane.  At least I think it was.  There were three just alike.  I was watching where Bill was looking, so I hope this is it.


So tell me ... is this flying TOWARDS you or AWAY from you.  Hard to tell, yes?  Also hard for the pilots to tell.


Patsy and I finally headed back home to let the pups out while the guys finished up.  Early this morning, she said "let's walk to the Dollar Store".  Okay, but I knew how far it was.  If I get tired on the way back, I'm going to stop just like your puppy Gibbs does, and make you carry me.

Turns out it wasn't that far after all, but I forgot my list.  Flying in the dark again.  I picked up a few things and we headed back to the rig.  Now to try and light my oven so I can bake this small casserole.  I can't believe I not only remembered how to do it, but it lit without too much of a fight.


Cooper got a nice long walk before I headed back to the grocery store to get everything I forgot the first time.  Oh there was more ... like dropping my phone into a big plastic tub of water in my sink.  Yeah, that part wasn't quite as fun.  More on that later, because .........


It's a very early morning for us .... it's time for the BIG TENT!!!!



22 comments:

  1. How cool is that?!?! I have been to that airfield a few times, but never knew they did night flying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are down here, they do it quite often. I'll ask Bill what nights they fly. It's really cool.

      Delete
  2. Your pics are great of night flying! Your casserole looks yummy, looks like enchiladas? Enjoy, (not sure if that's the right word) the Big Tent..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunrise! Night flying! Food! Cooper! GREAT BLOG TODAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are amazing!
    Hope your phone is ok.
    Husband's fell in the ocean two weeks ago.
    Need I say more.
    Enjoy your day!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fell in the ocean? Uh Oh!!! Surprisingly, mine is good. I was sure I would be buying another one.

      Delete
  5. Very good pics at night, that is hard to do. Sure hope that phone is ok...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a camera that takes pretty good night pics, but there is a limit! LOL

      Delete
  6. Great pictures. And that casserole looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those were great pictures of the night flying planes.
    Hope your phone survived.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really cool to see them flying in the dark.

      Delete
  8. You put my pics of the flying to shame so I'm glad you posted them! Maybe you should get on staff as their photographer!
    The casserole looks delish.
    Big tent, yay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ... that's an idea!!! But really, it's not me, it's the camera.

      Delete
  9. Hey, thanks for posting some of Bill's flying stuff as he doesn't post much about it. And did you remember to check out the road across from the flying field for boondocking. I think the first right turn where the boondocking is may come out about where Patsy and Bill and You are staying now. Might be a good walk for you and Patsy.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have discovered being plugged in is a much better option!

      Delete
  10. You took some really great photos of the night flying planes.

    ReplyDelete