Friday, January 19, 2024

Life In The Desert

 Here we are in beautiful downtown Quartzsite!  Though they say the place is packed, it's still not like the old days.  The Chance family and I parked way out on Hwy 95 with the Ham Radio group.  That has now been abandoned, not by choice.  Apparently the powers that be do not allow camping there any more, so everyone has moved in to Roadrunner and LaPosa South.  THOSE areas are crowded.  As usual, the closer you get to town, the worse it gets.  Especially in light of the Big Tent opening tomorrow.

Remember the Kuehn Road vendor buildings on the south side of the road at Hwy 95, including the Rice Ranch RV Park?  That has all been replaced by an RV park that is maybe half full.  High prices I assume.

Though I love the Big Tent craziness, THIS is one great reason to come to the desert.  The sunsets are incredible.  This isn't even looking to where the sun sets ... this is the OTHER direction.  LOVE these pink skies!


That was followed by the actual sun setting in the West.  The pictures do not do it justice.


Life in the desert revolves around keeping this kid warm.  It's all good during the day because the sun does come up enough to keep the temperature up.  At night however ... it's a problem.  To be honest, I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to boondock with only the rig heater to keep him warm.  I'm on the edge of having enough battery power.  

What a setup, yes?  My favorite tripod with a ceramic heater ... the kind used to keep snakes warm.  Yes I tried the heating pads ... the perfect answer because they use little power ... but nowadays, they only work for an hour, then shut off.  I guess they don't want some of us old folks to cook.  


As usual, Mr. Cooper and I were out early for a morning walk.  This picture is for Patty Chance.  A huge sweet kitty kitty sunning himself in the window.  


And then it was time for some Poker Pool.  It's bad when there are seven balls left on the table ... one the cue ball, one the "safe" ball and FIVE that are your cards.  Obviously it wasn't in the cards for me that time.  There are usually seven or eight who play ... all women of course.  Why you ask?  Because the men are just too competitive.  

We laugh at ourselves for missing and cheer each other on.  No one cares who wins or who doesn't.  If you've never played pool in your life, you can win this game by everyone else knocking in your card numbers.


With all the cold weather here, I signed up for two more days plugged in, hoping the weather cooperates.  That meant I had to move sites.  NOT my luck, Bill the master of parking was gone.  No problemo ... I can do it.  Truly, I do need the practice.

And so I moved down the row to an even wider spot that was a bit easier to back into.  It took a couple of times ... okay FOUR times, but I got her in.  

Next thing I know, we are off to Happy Hour.  That happens a lot in the desert.  Deb and Tom were happy to have another English speaking American in their midst.  I laughed at that one!  Otherwise, the entire group is from Canada.  Don't cha just luv those accents?  I could listen to them talk all day long!  So this is Kim and Ken, Keith, Patsy, Bill, Deb and Tom.  Did I get that right?


You always learn new things in the desert too ... those Canadians are inventive.  This is Keith's rig that he built himself, but the picture is all about the table.  It's a collapsible ladder.  How smart is that?  It certainly makes the perfect table, as well as a stool to stand on and a ladder when needed.  We looked it up ... a Harbor Freight special at $49.00.  I'm getting one!


We got back to the rig just in time to head out for night flying.  What is that you ask?  Bill the Master of Parking also flies airplanes at night, all of which are lit up by lights.  How cool is that?  I can barely operate my TV remote control, and he flies an airplane with a little black box.  I'll post pictures tomorrow.

In the meantime, life in the desert is a friendly kick in the pants!!  




18 comments:

  1. Those sunsets are hard to beat! Great job backing your rig in. I bet it is nice to see everyone and catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun to see everyone in person. Actually we all keep in touch almost every day, but smiling faces in person is better!

      Delete
  2. Great sunset pics. Mother Nature uses the whole sky for sun sets and rises, she’s a very talented lady! Congrats on backing in to a new spot.
    I’m thinking the trick is to enclose the whole heating system for Jonathan, leaving only a small opening instead of the entire front. Something LIKE or SIMILAR to a pop up tent (like the ones kids use in the house, no pegs or straps), it’s big enough to hold everything safely, the space is small enough to heat easily, easy in and out, folds out of the way easily.
    You can buy mattress pad heaters for your bed that allows you to use different heat settings and they shut off after 12 hours or so. It would similar to a heating pad.
    I’m happy to see you managed to get out to Road Runner for a visit. It’s always good to connect with friends.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ceramic heaters can get very hot, so I'm afraid to enclose it. A heated mattress pad might just work. I could pretty much enclose him in that. Don't know how much power they use, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the great idea Deb!!!

      Delete
  3. Sunset pics are THE BEST!! I like the colors rather than the sun itself. Practice parking will help in the long run! Too funny!
    Gotta check out that table also - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That table is just a foldable ladder. You just have to love the inventive thinking! And I could cut up Jon's sticks on it too!

      Delete
  4. Four tries but you did it. That's all that matters. Rain coming? I better check our weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain here Sunday, Monday and Tuesday it says. Batten down the hatches!

      Delete
  5. I can't find any 'fix' to get around that blanket turning off. Wondering if it turns off because it got to hot, or is it more like a timer. Have tried it on 'medium' and see if it stays on longer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a timer. Bill and Patsy let me borrow theirs, which is many years older, and it stayed on all night long. Weird, yes?

      Delete
  6. You go girl! Backing that rig is a challenge.
    Beautiful sunset pictures.
    Enjoy your day!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a challenge. I just don't get to practice enough.

      Delete
  7. Love the Sunsets and the friendships you make with other RVers around. Have a problem with anything and everybody is willing to help. Hope Jonathon stays warm.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it interesting that the same is NOT true of where I live in my house. People sure can be different.

      Delete
  8. After you left, the girls at pool commented on how you handle that rig like a pro. Of course, we are all in awe no matter how many tries it takes.
    I'm so happy to have you for a neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well not exactly a "pro"! LOL. I love having YOU guys as neighbors. It's so nice to have fun people to talk to and hang out with. We do laugh a lot!!

      Delete
  9. Could Jonathon wear a little tiny sweater to keep him warm? !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not. They sleep with their heads on their backs and need to be able to fluff their feathers for warmth. If I can find a mattress warmer, I think I can wrap the whole cage. Of course it all depends on how much electricity it uses.

      Delete