Monday, January 15, 2024

Down A Long Road

 Good Morning YUMA!!  The days have been fabulously warm ... dare I say perfect temperatures ... with cool nights.  There's been lots of dog walking, which means dog lifting into and out of my rig.  That's almost as bad as lifting all that material up the three steps!!  My back complaineth!  Yes, that's a word.

Back to the quilt show for a bit ... here are just a few of the amazing creations.  Yes, those are all 1/2" pieces.  Even the white parts are made up of teeny tiny pieces.  This would be a NO for me to make, but what a striking wall hanging.


 Appliqué, all done by hand sewing, is SO beautiful, but SO labor intensive.   Not something you would have on your bed, but again, a wall hanging.  It's called needle turning.  You use your needle to turn the edge over and take one stitch.  Turn over, one stitch.  No thank you ... you all KNOW I don't have that much patience.


Same for this one.  I love it ... it's got critters ... but this would probably take at least a year to make, if not more.  The detail is amazing.


If you're a quilter, you will get this one immediately.  It's not my colors and not a quilt I would want to make.


This tells it all.  It's called Pathway to the Stars, but the Quilter called it the Quilt From Hell.  I know of what she speaks.  We got a big laugh out of this one!!


More appliqué ... and this one took the grand prize.  If I started something like this I would never finish it!


After trying to do a little house cleaning in my rig, since I keep seeing spider webs hanging across the entire width, I got Deb and Riley's phone number.  It seemed last year every time I was here, they were there.  I was determined to catch up with them.  

Once again, it amazes me how you can read a blog or two and soon feel like family.  Yes, it was a drive down a long road.  It's always longer when you've never been there before.  Deb was kind enough to park out at the main road so I wouldn't miss the turnoff.  What a beautiful area to boondock.

I'm pretty sure we didn't stop talking for two hours.  I learned so much more about solar stuff and this great place to park that I completely forgot to take pictures.  I also learned you don't have to park perfectly straight!  Lots of laughter ensued.

Just as I was ready to leave, Deb said WAIT ... PICTURES!!  So we got pictures of all of us before I headed back out.  Deb and Riley .. you made my day!!  I'm so glad we finally got to meet in person.


I barely made it back in time for our lunch date in Yuma, except the place was closed.  We postponed that and I headed off to Home Depot.  Cindy discovered a handle device at the quilt show to hold our rulers.  Since they were $10.00 each, I looked online for a substitute.  

Of course Home Depot didn't have them in stock, in spite of what their web page showed.  It was okay though, because the cute YOUNG guy at the store spent time with me looking for an alternative.  He came up with a great idea ... which I'll post later.

Lucky for me,  Cindy whipped up a delicious dinner of air fried fish (YUM) and funeral potatoes.  You've heard me speak of that dish before.  They were freeze dried ... just add water.  I'll talk more about that tomorrow too, otherwise this blog would be a book!!

The sunset was less than spectacular, but a nice pink glow.  That's good ... it means no rain!!


One last walk outside for Cooper ... I think it was number 23 ... to see the crescent moon rising.  It was a GREAT day!!




18 comments:

  1. What a great day! We have learned so much about quilts reading your blog. We now have a new appreciation for them and the work that goes into them, than we ever had before. But the highlight of your day had to be meeting Deb and Riley. They are our kind of people; down to earth, nice and a great sense of humor. I am glad you got to meet them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You described Deb and Riley perfectly. It was like I had known them forever. I meet the greatest people in the RV world.

      Delete
  2. Those are some wonderful quilts, but the farm animal one is missing the always present farm mouse... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Dave ... with a piece of cheese! LOL

      Delete
  3. Amazing quilts. I'm thinking one day I need to go to this event. Hmmm...Deb never goes out to the road for us. And, of course, we always miss the turnoff...lol lol 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Deb knows my sense of direction from reading the blog! LOL

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing the quilt pictures. Beautiful although I don't have that kind of patience either. Although I did make a Hedge Hog quilt for my grandson that had 1000 pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW!! A thousand pieces ... that's amazing. You are a quilter extraordinaire!

      Delete
  5. It was great to finally meet you and we had a great time. The time slipped past so quickly. We should it again soon!
    Both my mother and sister quilted, the amount of work is amazing. I have no patience nor talent to do such things. The fact that I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler probably tells why I didn’t bother to try. Lol

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you can park a fifth wheel like a champ! LOL. Loved meeting you and I will definitely try to catch up again!!

      Delete
  6. I'm happy you were able to meet up with Deb and Riley. A wonderful little family. Deb is as kind as they come and doesn't hesitate to offer help with anything.
    Lovely quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those quilts are amazing!
    So nice you got to meet Deb and Riley.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilts are gorgeous Frances .. but SO much work!

      Delete
  8. Those quilts are a piece of art for sure. However, your creations are just as beautiful and I bet you cannot wait to start another one :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are right there Marlene!! I may just have to load up my smallest sewing machine next time.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful quilts and all are so labor intensive. I love the County Fair and it looks like it could be a McKenna Ryan pattern. Hers always have so many little pieces. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just amazes me how people can create those patterns using so many different fabrics, and make it look real. It's a beauty!

      Delete