Saturday, January 6, 2024

The Tuxedo Group

 It's still cold in California.  Lucky for us, the BIG ONE didn't hit after all, at least not in our area.  There was an earthquake down south, something like 4.1 in Rancho Cucamonga.  As it turns out, they now say that was just a "fore" earthquake.  Since there were no aftershocks, it wasn't a REAL earthquake.  You've gotta love the science.  

Now they say we can expect the REAL BIG ONE in a couple of days.  This should be fun!  Maybe I'll have oceanfront property after all.  By the way, I'm not near any faults, so hopefully "I" won't fall into the ocean too.

For those that asked, here's the tux photo.  Too funny that all the short people stood on the right side.  Just like the Masons, the Elks stick to pomp and circumstance.  In 1868 the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks was founded by Charles Vivian, a comic, singer and son of a clergyman.  In New York City, everything was closed on Sundays according to the New York City Blue Laws.  Charles got a group of guys together to pass the time.  Pretty soon, other actors and singers gravitated to Charles and called themselves the Jolly Corks.

At Christmas that year, one of their little group died and left his family destitute.  Charles decided that in addition to good fellowship (i.e. drinking and singing) they should have performances to benefit the people around them.  And so the Elks were born.  They asked the New York Legislature for a charter and in 1871 it was granted.  

You can only join if recommended by an existing member.  New members are interviewed and must go through the initiation.  From that point on, you become part of one big family across the U.S.  Benefits include parking for cheap at any Lodge that has RV parking, help if you need it, a great family and community atmosphere, 100% backing of our Veterans, the flag and our country, and even a funeral service when you pass on.  So there you have it ... lots of social activities and lots of help for whoever is in need.  


Onward ..... Mr. Cooper and I hung out on the couch until it got warm enough to begin the packing process.  Laundry is not my thing, but I persisted until I had enough to fill the closet in the rig.  I made three trips outside and stashed everything in places I hoped I would remember.  

That's when it hit me.  I'm usually packing for a three or four day trip to another house, completely full of everything I need.  Not this time ... I SHOULD be packing for LIVING in the rig.  That is another whole game.  I unpacked everything and started all over from scratch.  I didn't get far when I realized I better sit down and make up a list of what needs to go or I'll be doing the same thing over again.


Luckily, lunch time came around.  It was time for another Hello Fresh creation.  This time, Thai Burgers.  Here's what it looks like, all packed up in a nice paper bag with a big recipe card to follow.  I have to say I love the flavors of most everything I pick from their long menus.  On the other hand, there is SO much prep work!  What happened to just microwave it!!

I peeled the sweet potatoes, cut them up (without cutting myself I might add) and tossed them with oil and salt.  Uh oh ... WAY too much oil.  After 15 minutes in the oven, I had to drain off the messy oil.  I didn't have much hope they would be good.


Next up ... mix up the sauce, meaning grate a tiny piece of ginger and an even tinier piece of garlic.  Dump that into mayo from a nice friendly packet, adding soy sauce, thinly sliced green onions and a dash of sugar.  Hmmm not bad!

More of everything went into the hamburger ... very good hamburger I might add ... and I fried them up.  Just look at all that grease on my stove!!  This recipe better be absolutely wonderful if I have to clean up all that mess!


And here we have it ... a burger with ginger and garlic, on a potato bun with the mayo sauce, sweet chili sauce and those yummy fried onions from your Thanksgiving dinner casserole.  From now on, I'm buying a can of those to put on everything I eat.  

Yessirree ... it was DELICIOUS with a capital D.  The fries .. not so much, but they were edible.  Here's the good part, I have the second serving of this meal in the fridge for today's lunch.  That's good because it's probably the last time I will have it.  Between the massive amount of dishes to wash and the greasy stove, I'm not sure this will be on the menu again.


More unpacking and packing happened until it was time to watch some Rodeo from Texas.  Cooper wasn't interested ... he played hide and seek with the ball. 


I still have a long list of things to get done, but at least I was able to scratch off a few.  I'm shooting for the end of next week.  We shall see how it goes!!





7 comments:

  1. You can buy a splatter screen to lessen the amount of grease/oil sizzling out of the pan, it makes clean up easier. Lunch did look very good. Happy packing!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely what I need. Maybe I can find one in Quartzsite.

      Delete
  2. Packing can be a royal pain. Glad you are making a list.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely not the most fun part of traveling.

      Delete
  3. Hi Nancy!
    Have you visited the Elks National Memorial here in Chicago? It is a spectacular place, situated right at the lakefront. You can enjoy a 'virtual tour' by Googling-up Elks National Memorial!
    Come visit me!

    Sweet Potato Planks:
    2 scrubbed sweet potatoes, Cut in half, Skin-on Cut into planks
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    1/3 cup parmesan cheese
    1 Tbs garlic powder
    1 Tbs oregano
    2 eggs, beaten
    Dip the planks in the egg
    Dredge the planks in crumb mixture
    Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Flip halfway through
    Serve with Ranch dressing for 'dunking'
    Mmmm, good -- and healthy too!
    Best Regards,
    -Chicago Robert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Robert! I looked up the memorial online. That is an amazing building. It's on my bucket list now! And that recipe? Oh yeah ... sounds delicious. I'll try it!

      Delete
  4. No more greasy hamburgers That’s why they make Greasy barbecue grills. And don’t forget post ups that way when you come back, you can see what you forgot to bring

    ReplyDelete