Friday, January 5, 2024

The Last Hurrah

Good morning foggy California.  We've had just about every kind of weather from sunshine to fog to pouring down rain ... and just for good measure, it's been VERY cold.  It's definitely past my usual time to head to warmer weather, and it's going to be later still.

By this time I'm usually in sunny Indio at the RV rally.  Sadly, it has been cancelled this year.  Increasing prices and low attendance (because of increasing prices) has hit hard.  If you can't figure out a way to change that up, you will price yourselves right out of business.  I'll get to the sunshine sooner or later.

In the meantime, this is my last official Elks duty of the month.  Its Insurance and Finance Night, along with an initiation of new members.  All I can say about the required tuxedo is that it's black and makes you look ten pounds thinner.  Not the least bit comfortable, but thinner.

Here I am waiting for the Treasurer to show up with the money.  The drink is a coke, the better to keep me awake since I still have a bit of a chili cheese dog hangover from the last Bingo games.


These guys go all out to impress their insurance paying clients, especially in light of the recent hikes in price.  Let's face it, the more disasters like fires and flooding you have, the more everyones insurance goes up to pay for it.  I suppose it's a necessary evil because MOST of us pay up.  

There is a raffle at every dinner.  This is just two tables of prizes.  Not only does the Committee Chairman have to get a crew together and do all the cooking, he also has to acquire all the raffle prizes and bring two pretty ladies to sell tickets.  Oh yes ... there are two more full tables over on the far right hand side out of sight.  Add to that a BIG TV.   It took over an hour to raffle off all the goodies.


Ten seconds after the door was open, the crowd came in and hit the bar.  No, that's not my beer.  There's one thing I am NOT and that's a beer drinker.  They do have several kinds on tap if that's your thing.  I'm sitting at this table to help sell dinner tickets.  For $20 you get an amazing steak dinner.


And here it is.  A New York steak, scalloped potatoes, green beans, rolls, salad and ice cream for dessert.  Not bad!  There's also bottles of wine for your table if you wish.  I didn't eat this time ... I've got too much in the fridge to get rid of, including another box of Hello Fresh, delivered yesterday.  Let me just say the insurance guys know how to cook steaks.  RARE is the name of the game.  


We fed over 150 people.  Can you just imagine?  And this happens usually twice a month.  It amazes me how such a small town Elks Lodge can be so huge ... like one of the busiest businesses in town.  They also serve lunch Monday through Thursday, so if you're ever in the area, be sure and stop in.  The food is REALLY good!

Raffle over, it's time to head upstairs for the initiation and meeting.  It was short and sweet this time with only 15 new members, versus the usual 45.  I was out of there in a flash!

Believe me, there's nothing like the AHHHHH of taking off a tuxedo jacket, vest and necktie!!  I need a clip on.  

I'm hoping to get out of here by the end of the week, so packing has begun.  It seems there's snow over the pass, so I'm at the whim of the weather.  Pray for NO SNOW!





10 comments:

  1. Mr. Ed said you better hope they’re not State Farm insurance. They just increased their rate by 20% to California. That’s OK they bailed out of Florida. For too many claims

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALL insurance companies in Cali raised their prices this year by about 20%. Between PG&E fires and flooding, they didn't make their normal millions. LOL

      Delete
  2. I have attended 'meetings' where the raffle has taken an hour, and due to my position as Director of the Library there was no 'leaving early' AND there was no 'winning'...it all just dragged on and on... Cooper doesn't eat steak??? You said you didn't take a dinner, if I did that, Indy would have bitten my butt! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes ... he eats steak. I thought about it, I just had too much other food in the fridge!! That Indy ... she's a gourmet dog!

      Delete
  3. Skinny in a tux or comfortable in sweats. Ill take sweats any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit you are right. The tux thing is a pain.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Jim and Barb...sweats any day!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cheat ... I switched out my tux pants for cute stretchy pants! LOL

      Delete
  5. That looks like a dinner I would enjoy. Do you have to be a member to eat there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for lunch, but Lodge Dinners and Friday Night Dinners you have to either be a member, or go WITH a member.

      Delete