Monday, January 8, 2024

Decisions Decisions

 Oooweeeee it's cold in California!!  31 degrees is way below my comfort zone.  I felt like I was already IN the freezer when I went outside to begin the frozen food pack.  I have to say this thing works like a charm.  I've no idea what the FRIDGE temperature is, but the freezer is working like I was in Alaska.  The decisions made on what to take were many.  If nothing else, I won't starve for the first week or two.


Cooper and I passed the time by checking the Weather app every 30 minutes.  Nothing like being worried about the weather.  It's sunny, it's raining, it's snowing, it's foggy ... take your pick.  It's all happening at once.

Trying to sideline my terror of black ice and snow, I went to the last bag-o-food from Hello Fresh.  I've put the account on hold until I return.  It took awhile to make the decision to cook this one up.  I thought I might take it with me, but these seem to be complicated and require lots of dishes.  Since I'm the Queen of Paper Bowls and Plates, I figured I better make it now.

This is another Thai dish ... chicken and rice bowls.  I got the rice going and cut up the pear according to directions (without even a drop of blood) for the salad.  I admit, the thought of adding some weird sauce to mayo for the dressing, rather turned me off.  I substituted my Vidalia onion favorite.  

On to the cucumbers, which were supposed to be pickled.  Hmmm I should have read these recipes first.  I left them plain Jane.


The chicken however, was an easy decision.  Chop up chicken breast, add soy sauce and marinate for about 15 minutes.  Dump in a heaping tablespoon of cornstarch and stir.  Dump into a pan with a splash of oil ... and leave it be.  

Wow ... when I heard it crackling, I turned the entire thing over in one piece.  After a few more minutes I chopped it up a bit and added the usual Thai sweet chili sauce.  


Dinner was finally served.  Thai chili chicken over white rice, pear and cabbage slaw, along with cucumbers.  The "should be" is on the right.  I think they gave me the wrong Cole Slaw, but I ate ever bit.  There was twice the amount of food I normally eat, but it was pretty tasty!!  I would definitely cook the chicken and rice again ... YUM!!


The last decision of the day was finally made.  I'm heading off to Indio to spend a few days with good friends from my RV group.  I don't know if I have everything packed, and it may just snow ... but I figure I can buy anything I forgot and my friends will come get me if I get snowed in.  Wish me luck!!!


16 comments:

  1. Drive safe, have fun, enjoy that California Sunshine...I mean snow... lol

    ReplyDelete

  2. please be careful on the road.
    Rex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be very careful Rex. I actually go the speed limit!

      Delete
  3. Most prepackaged foods leave a lot to be desired.
    Be Safe on those mountain passes and Enjoy visiting with your RV friends.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your hip gets taken care of soon so you can head on down again.

      Delete
  4. My weather apps show clear sailing...or clear driving. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drive safe Nancy!
    I'm praying for you to have save travels.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. The plan is to veg out with friends and not do much at all. Maybe a trip or two to Mexico.

      Delete
  7. Safe travels. I’d make that chicken, it looks good.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crispy fried chicken ... what could be better? Fastest way to cook it I've ever seen.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! Maybe we'll see you down this way?

      Delete