Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Enchanted Land Of Bingo ...

Much as I would rather have stayed home and worked on that crazy quilt, I knew I owed it to the Castle Lawyer to show up in the land of Bingo.  Our cast of help in the cashiering department is very sparse.

It's nice to be needed as I was greeted with big hugs and words of "thank goodness you're back"!!  It makes me feel even guiltier that I wasn't around all summer.

I met most of the crew upstairs, including Prince Charming, the Court Jester and Frank.  Frank is a 98 year old Apache Indian, veteran of just about every war.  He was even at Pearl Harbor.  His stories are both amazing and funny and he's looking for his next wife.  Yes, I thought about it, but the old saying of they're looking for a purse or a nurse holds true ... Frank needs both.  Lucky for him he found our Elks Lodge because we take care of him.

At any rate, we set up so early and so fast that they opened the doors before the appointed hour ... and no one came in.  What????
Eventually we came up with enough people to even raise the pots, no thanks to the mini infernal machine.  The mini me credit/debit machine has become the bane of our existence.  You KNOW all the peasants like those plastic cards.  The machine does not.

Probably 50% of the time it reads a communications error message, then says reversal, before denying the transaction.  Run everything through the second time and it works.  It appears the errors began when they installed new phone lines.  Doesn't make sense to me, but then I'm just the Castle Cashier.

The Castle Lawyer who had been working in her garage all day, came down with a nosebleed like she had been hit over the head by a peasant.  Maybe she was.  I sent her home.  About that time a replacement showed up who counted out my cash and said I was $139 short.  RATS!!  I hate it when that happens.

Lucky for me, this time I remembered almost immediately.  Usually it's when I'm at the third stop light on the way home.  We sell something on the floor called Bonanza's.  When the guys turn in their money, we poke the infernal machine so it records the amount.  Not having done this for many moons, I forgot the poke.  Lucky for me, it was $139.  YAY!!!  I got the best of the infernal machine after all!!

The best part?  There were no fights, no screaming (except when ten people won a $150 pot, making their winnings only $15 each) and no complaints.  Almost no complaints.  We listened to a long diatribe from the new purple haired cook about how she was overworked.  There just weren't enough people volunteering to help her in the kitchen and she had to do it TWICE a month (instead of just once a month) if there were five weeks on the calendar.  I knew not what to say.  I'm always so fascinated with her VERY dark purple hair, my brain turns to mush.

One last thing ... I found a list of eleven things about getting old that seem to fit me perfectly, so I'm passing them on.

I may not be that funny, athletic or good looking or smart or talented or .... I forgot where I was going with this!!

Yup ... happens to me all the time!!!









4 comments:

  1. You had an entertaining day and sounds like some fun was had.
    Forgot where I was going with that happens a lot more now than it used to. But at least we are going somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha ... you ARE going somewhere and heading closer to me. Hope we can meet this winter.

      Delete
  2. I don't like getting old but it beats the alternative.

    ReplyDelete