Thursday, November 2, 2017

I'm So Proud!!

For someone with a black thumb and the absolute worst at growing ANYTHING, I'm so proud of my seed plantings.  I was pretty sure there were going to be a lot of disappointed kids around the County. Actually there will be about 20 because the teacher forgot to pick up her seeds at the exit gate.  Maybe that was on purpose ... who knows.

That box sat outside during our one and only rain storm, before being unceremoniously dumped in the shop building in a dark corner.  In six days, they sprouted beautifully with no sun whatsoever.  I owe it all to Ortho planting mix.  One kid posted a picture of his 12' high sprouts.  This just may be my new hobby!!
Although this isn't Cooper, it IS a huge pile of fur I trimmed from him yesterday.  I was thinking he was getting so fat I needed to cut back on his food.  It's a good thing I gave him a haircut first, because he's skinny as a rail!!  
With that done, I did a few dishes in the sink with cold water (I was running out of spoons and knives), when lo and behold, the water turned HOT.  It was magic!!  I immediately threw them into my already overflowing dishwasher and set it for a normal wash.  

Ninety minutes later when I returned from the store, it was still washing.  Since it wouldn't quit, I hit the cancel button, then rinse only.  I'm thinking it was that black cat that crossed my path.  FINALLY I have clean dishes!!

Just for something to do, I whipped up a batch of Instant Pot flan.  I love this stuff ... it's the perfect small dessert and SO easy to make.
The reason for the trip to the store was the crazy idea I should make sweet corn tamales.  You need Masa for that, which I can't make worth a darn.  Believe me, I've tried.  It's SO much better if you can buy it pre-made.  

Save Mart didn't have it.  I hate to ask people where to go, since just because they are Hispanic, doesn't mean they are Hispanic, know what I mean?  One lady said to try the Carniceria down the street.  There's nothing worse than going in to an all Spanish speaking business when you don't speak Spanish.  I stick out like a sore thumb.  The nice young girl at the counter suggested the bakery down the block.

I walked down to an even more authentic establishment, where everyone turned to look at me as I entered.  I was truly hoping someone spoke English.  I stood in line for ten minutes while one after another, people cut in front of me.  I can excuse the little girl who paid 45 cents for a Coke ... what a deal!  When the fourth person cut in front of me, I finally objected and asked for a bag of masa.  At long last, after waiting on everyone else, I got my bag for $6.00 and raced out the door.  
That's when I made a complete fool of myself as I tried to take a shortcut through the parking lot.  As far as I could see, there were no parking bumpers ANYWHERE.  Except there was, right where I chose to cut through.  I just kept going.

Hopefully today, my wonderful tasty roasted corn tamales will erase all of that experience from my head.



4 comments:

  1. Glad that you got your masa, I love going into ethnic stores to look for things different from what we are used to. Even of O don't speak the language they still want to make a sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always felt good about one little store, but they closed down.

      Delete
  2. Food City (next to the Target) at Irvington and I19 has fresh masa on weekends, at least they did last year. They have a table set up, weigh it out and put it in bags. It's a great store, smells really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO much easier to buy pre-made. They use beef stock and lard to make the perfect consistency!!

      Delete