Thursday, November 16, 2017

The Cookie Man

Who has decorated Christmas Cookies .... raise your hand!  My hand is NOT raised.  I've always had good intentions because they look like fun, but to be honest, they are not the tastiest cookies I've ever had.  In fact, most are a combination of glue and sawdust flavoring.

In a moment of insanity however, when I saw someone I knew post on Semi Sweet Designs Facebook site, I thought I just might try it.  You can go for the whole cookie or just the heads.  I chose the heads hoping they would be easier.  I received the cutters from Mike the Cookie Man in three days, individually wrapped, along with instructions and a free decal.  This guy knows how to do it right.  He literally sold out in one day.
I read through all the instructions for his sugar cookie dough twice, just to be sure I got it.  The recipe included almond flavoring ... NOT my favorite.  I'd rather try a little lemon zest, but since this was the first time, I relented.

It was pretty easy to mix up the ingredients before dumping it on parchment paper on the counter.  Rolling was a cinch with this new rolling pin.  Those ends are removable and adjustable in order to make any thickness you want.  No more guessing how thick the cookies are, just roll away and the thickness comes out perfect.
The next trick was to put the rolled dough on a sheet pan and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes before cutting.  The colder the dough, the better they will hold their shape while baking.  So far so good!!  I only got 15 cookies instead of the two dozen I was looking for, but these are much bigger than the three inches called for in the recipe.  They also took longer to bake!!

Amazingly however, I have cookies!!!   There was only one with a chunk taken out when I missed with the spatula, so like any good cook, I ate it.  I was right ... almond is STILL not my favorite, but at least it's a flavor better than sawdust.  Pictures will be forthcoming when I finish them today.
I spent the rest of the evening sewing together these squares.  Thank goodness it's only a crib size quilt, because all those matching seams almost made me crazy ... well, crazier!!  This will turn into a wall hanging for the Lost Horse Ranch.
I'm hoping to get it sewn together today, as I received a text message about company coming and this is currently spread all over the spare bed.  That means I'll be madly cleaning the house and changing the sheets.  

It's also supposed to rain, so it's much warmer this morning.  Truth be told, I haven't had my AC or heating on since I returned in September.  The seasons seem to be slipping further along.  Pretty soon we'll be having Christmas in hot summer weather!!






6 comments:

  1. My aunt made Christmas cookies every year,like you too much work,and never tasted that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a little Hobby that was turning into a Career and since nobody wanted to pay so enough for us to make a profit we gave it up for the RV Lifestyle.
    The only difference we had for the Christmas Cookies to any other was the design. When people ordered them with Wedding Cakes for Thank Yous, you know you had a good product.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you saying that ... I bet they were mighty tasty!!!!

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had fun making cookies, that would work for us too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS fun and doesn't require too many things to make them. A little messy however, as you will read in today's blog.

      Delete