Saturday, December 24, 2016

It Was a KNOCKOUT in Round One

Kitchen appliances and I were not meant to be in the same room.  I'm not sure why that is, but they definitely have something against me!!  Since it was so cold and rainy yesterday, I decided to make those cinnamon rolls my Mom was known for.  It's easy, right?  Although MUCH more time consuming than I ever remember.
So I mixed everything up, paying particular attention to the temperature of the water/yeast mixture, even going so far as to heat up the mixer bowl.  According to the directions, just add the flour and knead for 5 minutes.  Since I have this handy dandy KitchenAid mixer, I figured to make quick work of the kneading part.  What could possibly happen????
You can get your hand crushed ... that's what.  The dough was stuck up at the top of the dough hook, aptly named I might add.  I turned the machine off ... really, I did ... but was dumb enough to keep my left hand on the switch.  As I reached in and pulled the dough from the hook, my left hand accidentally hit the switch before my right hand was out of the bowl.  It was a knockout punch in the first round.  DING DING DING!!

The hook immediately caught my hand between the large round harder-than-steel white disk at the top and the edge of the steel bowl.  I'm pretty sure they heard me scream all the way into town.  I actually had the thought .... I'll just let that dough rest while I immerse my hand in freezing cold ice water ... which I did.  In no time, I couldn't feel a thing as it swelled up like a balloon.

The good news was that I moved my fingers almost immediately, so I assumed nothing was broken, more or less.  I tried to keep it up in the air to lessen the damage, but there was an entire batch of dough in the mixer that needed to be attended to.
Mostly left handed, I was able to get the dough in a bowl to let it rise.  That gave me an hour and a half to keep my other hand elevated where it throbbed nicely, not letting me forget how stupid I was.  After a second rising, I was able to get them rolled up.
Have you ever tried to cut with a sharp knife left handed?  I wasn't giving up, no matter how awful they looked.  Into the pans for another rising and baking.  In the meantime, I sent a picture of my hand to my Nurse Patty for her official opinion.  Yup I crushed it, keep it iced and in the air.  
It's actually much better this morning, in spite of the lovely shades of black and blue.  One knuckle has returned and I can almost make a fist.  The rolls came out great, but I was rather distracted by my hand and didn't get any nice pictures.  You'll just have to come to the RV Rally in Indio California to see them in person.
Not taking any chances at all, I tossed a California Pizza Kitchen pizza in the oven for dinner.  My cooking skills aren't the best when I have TWO hands ... I'm not going to try and cook with only one. What can I say .... it was edible ... although I've never seen a pizza that had toppings laid on ultra thin like this one.  I would have fixed it up, but that would require two hands to grate the cheese.  I'm not going there.
To make things even better, since it's Christmas and all, I woke up with a sore throat.  As you may be aware, it's just normal for me to end up in the Emergency Room on Christmas Day.  I don't have much time to heal up before takeoff, so I'm spending the entire day on the couch with the puppies and a bottle of wine!!  

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE TO EACH AND EVERY ONE



12 comments:

  1. Did that with a slicer in the restaurant once, thank goodness it was at a setting for thinly sliced roast beef so I only lost a small tip of a finger and not the entire finger. Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit Dave, i know better, but sometimes you just get in a hurry. Certainly glad you didn't lose that entire finger!!

      Delete
  2. Tipping the Blender head back would have allowed you to toss the dough around the room instead of mashing your hand.
    Be Safe and Enjoy a Merry Christmas,

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is an older model where the head doesn't go back. It stays stationary and the bowl lifts up and down. That's probably why they changed the design. I hope you both have a very Merry Christmas!!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Jan ... I didn't even taste them. Except for the nuts and caramel that were left in the pan .... YUM!!

      Delete
  4. OMGosh! I've followed your blog for a long time but I think I've only commented once. But I can't let this one go by - I wish you were my next door neighbor, we have so much in common! I am the consummate clux and do things like that all the time so I won't give you any advice on what you should have done. I have a huge scar on my arm where I tried to remove an item from the dryer while it was still turning! Anyway, love your blog. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June I knew EXACTLY what you meant. It would be cool to be neighbors ... we could take each other to the hospital!! LOL I'm so glad to meet you ... have a very Merry Christmas!!!

      Delete
  5. Told you I was A KLUTZ! Can't even spell!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you hate autocorrect? And it never will let you change it once you hit that button!!

      Delete

  6. You need to start going to AA meetings
    Hi; my name is Nancy, and I'm dangerous to myself ?
    I have a split personality.. one hand hates what the others doing !

    Either that or you need to start a New Year's resolution
    note to self
    I will stay away from any electrical apparatus
    I will do my best to avoid the kitchen
    I will only use a butter knife
    I will make the microwave my best friend
    I will find two for one specials at restaurants and freeze number two
    I will order per-cooked food online
    I will always allow someone else to cook (see next line)
    I will always bring the appropriate wine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to tape this list on my fridge!!! It's PERFECT!!

      Delete