Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Rock Climbing Obsession

 There's been many crazy things I've done in my life, one of which was rock climbing.  Sadly, I started a little late at about 50 years old.  There is nothing like being on the edge of a mountain, hanging on with your fingertips and toes where there's no place TO hang on.  Let there be no mistake however ... I would never have done that without being roped to a belayer at the bottom in case I fell.  

This guy ... Alex Honnold ... doesn't need all those ropes.  This guy free solos.  He climbed El Capitan in Yosemite National Park with nothing but his skill and fearlessness.  I watched him do this in 2017 because I live just outside the park.  It made me sick to my stomach to watch.  I can't explain it to you ... he's an unusual individual.


Yes, he's obsessed with rock climbing.  But what do you do once you've climbed the 2900 foot El Cap behemoth? It must have been frustrating and depressing not to keep up that kind of electricity.  He got married, had a beautiful baby girl and now finally found a way to put his talents to work.

This is a National Geographic expedition which turned out to be right up his alley.  All of these pictures came from that television program.  There are several programs in a series, and if you want to be amazed, watch every one.  Keep in mind I am NOT about global warming.  What can happen in a million years is pretty much out of our hands.


Six people, including one local guide, one gal an expert in polar ice melting, and one gal another expert climber ... along with I'm sure several photographers who are also climbers ... headed out on foot, carrying their supplies as they headed toward the glaciers.

This was their first warmup climb.  1500 feet of deteriorating rock carved by glacial ice.  


They took turns leading up the mountain.  That means the very first person going up, hauls tons of equipment around their waist, as well as all that rope.  They set the bolts and clip in the ropes on what they think will be the best route to take.  Here's Alex taking his turn.  


After the first day's climbing, they bivouac on the side of the mountain, two to a tent.  No, NOPE, NO WAY!!  Not even when I was young and dumb!!


They made it to the top after a big snowfall, hiked over a huge snow capped glacier and met up with a boat which took them to THE ROCK.  It's got a name, but I don't remember.  This is absolutely crazy. 


Here's the face they are going to climb.  It's about 1000 feet higher than El Capitan.  If this was a challenge for Alex, imagine what it was for the other climbers who are not quite of his caliber.  They've got guts, I can say that!!!


I won't show you any more.  You just have to watch the programs.  I think there are maybe five?  It will have you on the edge of your seat every step of the way.  

Back in Tucson, after seven days, I think I will finally live.  I'm no longer exhausted and not coughing quite as much.  I might have wandered off today, except the wind was over the top.  Just what I need, more desert dust and pollen, the better to cough up!!

I did however, get an invitation from the Chance family for dinner, and you know I'd never turn THAT down.  Lucky for me, it was a night out to Red Lobster.  I'll post about that tomorrow, since it's laundry day .... and I have to beat everyone to the washers!!!








11 comments:

  1. Great news you are doing better and dinner with the Chance family.
    Life is good !!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better. Dinner with the Chances at Red Lobster sounds awesome.
    Enjoy your day!
    Rock climbing looks very scary.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bad if you feel strong and ARE strong, as long as you are tethered. Soloing is not my thing!!

      Delete
  3. Those rock climbers are a different breed of people...half human and half mountain goat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in awe of his every move. You just can't imagine how hard it is to hold on with three finger tips.

      Delete
  4. Is there anything you haven't tried :-) you are quite the tomboy. Hanging/sleeping alongside a mountain wall in one of those tents would absolutely terrify me. That is if I even ever got up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't catch me in one of those tents either Marlene!!! WAY too scary!!

      Delete
  5. Elva ... I only used ONE. Didn't want to hog them all! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people have enough adventure running through their veins for all the,rest of us. NO thankyou!
    Glad you are on the mend!

    ReplyDelete