Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Death and Taxes

Here we are again, lounging on the couch.  Mr. Cooper gets in lots of sleep in the mornings, probably because his Mom keeps him up most of the night, tossing and turning.  It's weird ... the older I get, the more sleep evades me. 

 It didn't help that I was trying to get fabulous chicken in an ice cream container out of the store freezer while the owner was throwing everything out.  Then my truck got stolen, so you can imagine how the rest of the night went!!  All in my dreams ... or rather nightmares when it involved my truck.

I hit the ground running by reconnecting the battery cables on my Jeep.  I admit, that 2012 Jeep Liberty is one of the best things I've bought.  Never a problem with it, runs like a top, has power and speed when I want it and 4 wheel drive when it's muddy or snowy.

Time to give it a little TLC.  It needs a smog check and an oil change.  It's not just California.  If I was in Tucson, it would still need a smog test.  The problem here is that the smog guy gets to work at 4:00 in the afternoon.  I've no clue why, but that meant a late appointment.


In the meantime, though the weather guessers said sunshine all day, it looked like this.  It's cold and dreary, which makes Nancy just want to sit on the couch.  So that's what I did, phone in hand.  I called Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles to let them know my 5th wheel registration was not due since it moved to California (where it is half price).  No kidding, California charges half price for that registration.

She said I should contact California and have them send the paperwork that it was registered there.  We both got a big laugh out of that one.  No way is that ever going to happen.


Next problem that I have been procrastinating about ... taxes.  You know the saying, the only sure thing is death and taxes.  So I gathered up what I thought was everything I needed and began to sort through it.  Uh oh ... I can't find ANYTHING on the house sale.  How could that be?  

No kidding, I spent the next two hours looking through every drawer and cupboard I could find.  Nothing ... nada!!  I'm hoping and praying it's all still on my computer, but it had to wait.  Time to head to the repair shop with the Jeep.

I waited ..... and waited ..... and waited!  Good grief!!  Finally the guy came in with my air filters in hand, followed by a trail of dirt.  did you know there is one in the glove compartment that cleans the air "inside" your car?  Where have you been, he asked.  These are REALLY BAD!!  

Arizona ... and to be honest, I don't think anyone has ever changed the inside filter, probably because I said no.  The cost for that one was $43.00.  Oil change, smog test and filters came to $243.00.  YIKES!!!  Oh well, you can't take it with you.

THREE HOURS LATER, I was finally out the door.  You can go blind playing games on your phone for an entire 3 hours!!!


Onward and upward, I'll keep looking for those tax records today.  Nancy will be a happy camper if she can just get that monkey off her back!!  Then I have a choice to make.  Clean this house or go shopping at Marshalls and Harbor Freight.  I guess you know which choice I will be making on THIS day!!!






8 comments:

  1. Ugh! Having just gotten home, we came home to a pile of mail, many of which were labeled "tax documents". I opened them and put them aside. I will need to think about doing those in the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the only downside to traveling during the winter!

      Delete
  2. Taxes time...yuck...never fun! Hope you find your paperwork.
    Jeeps are so much fun!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be a bone crusher this year paying taxes on the sale of that house.

      Delete
  3. Let me tell you how it will be
    There's one for you, nineteen for me
    'Cause I'm the taxman
    Yeah, I'm the taxman

    If you still can't find those house papers, perhaps the realtor has copies...good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the first part was only a dream!! You had Bill worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate dreams like that! All that ice cream that turned into chicken! LOL

      Delete