Monday, February 5, 2024

I See The Light ....

It's CELEBRATION day!  No, I'm not that much better, but the screaming head banging event they call music is finally OVER.  But not until they had not one, but THREE stages going full blast until 4:35 this morning.  I did my best to stay in bed until 5:30.   

Yesterday I did see a light at the end of the tunnel.  I actually felt good enough to get outside and take Cooper for a long walk.  It would have been better if I got some sleep, but he was bugging me like no other.  Off we went on a beautiful cold morning.


No boom boom boom ... as we walked through the show arenas.  I sat for a bit and enjoyed the quiet.


On the way back, I spotted this.  WHAT??  Is Jerry Shannon here?  Elva said no, but he sure was jealous of the setup.  Apparently they don't care about the 10 year rule here.


Back home and feeling energized, I placed an order at Walmart, who lives just down the road.  I even felt good enough to play with Cooper for a bit ... which he surely appreciated.  I mean how could you turn down that face?


It didn't last long.  By the time I drove to Walmart and back, I was exhausted.  So let's whip up a nice burger for lunch.  But wait ... I have no BBQ.  These are the same wonderful burgers Patsy and Bill cooked for me while in Quartzsite.  

Let me just say I will never cook another burger in a frying pan on the stove.  I was cleaning up grease for an hour after I ate, even WITH the pan screen.  Quite tasty if I do say so myself, but what a mess!!  I'm buying a small bbq as soon as I can find one.


I ate the whole thing, so I skipped dinner, making sure I had NO dishes to wash. 


I didn't think about it until today, but all that vibration and noise must be pretty hard on Jonathan.  They have very keen hearing and are aware of every bit of movement.  I rather imagine he's not feeling all that great either.  Hopefully all of us will recover today when this Gem and Jam has headed out the front gates and down the road.


Same for my shadow Cooper.  I spent the rest of the day watching the Pro Bowl Games because there was nothing else on.  I've no idea why they do that, other than advertiser cash.  It helped drown out the boom boom boom.

There was a little people watching ... and I have a question.  Am I the only one that doesn't hook up, take out and set up everything I possibly could every time I stop for the night?  There are water filter setups the likes of which I've never seen before ... major sewer hookups that I never put out unless I need to dump, along with every awning and window shade on the rigs.  Mats and chairs come out along with tables and even lamps.  

Good grief ... what a lot of work.  The next morning they take it all down and leave.  I do as little work as possible I guess.  


A much more interesting (at least for me) show was that of Alex Honnold, the greatest rock climber of all time, heading out to climb the highest rock wall in Greenland.  It's an expedition of six people, and I'm sure 3 or 4 cameramen, crossing an ice cap to get to a glacier for scientific exploration, before beginning an epic climb of the tallest rock mountain ever tried.  I got that scared feeling in the pit of my stomach and I wasn't even there.  More on that tomorrow.

That ended the day.  My plan for today is up for grabs, but dinner will be with the Chance family at Red Lobster.  It's time to get back in the swing of things.





16 comments:

  1. My hand is raised high on the "Not setting up everything". I remember when we were out for our first year driving up the Oregon Coast. We were at a campground about 3 miles inland from the ocean. Two vans/cars drive up and they set up a complete campground, took them 2-3 hours. 3 tents, massive numbers of chairs, cooking equipment, etc. Next morning they pulled out just as I got out of bed (around 8:30). Figure they were at the campground for 14 hours, and 4 hours were spent setting up and breaking down. Oh, how fun "camping" is to those young kids who did most of the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they are just weekenders, but I've seen many big rigs do the same. It's just so much work! LOL

      Delete
  2. George swore by using the Weber BBQ. Bill has one (larger unit) and we do too, the smaller version (Q1200). Camping World, just a few miles from you on I-10 has them, but so do ACE, Home Depot, Lowes etc. Walmart has a sale on for the camping gas bottles if you don't want to hook up on the regular propane bottles. BTW we donated our Camco stainless steel BBQ to a special forces guy in the campground who wanted it, but that one never got as hot as the Weber does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my first Weber because of George. He taught me how to cook a whole chicken. Best chicken ever. Sadly, I left my Weber at home. I think I need another one to leave in the rig!

      Delete
  3. We set up very little unless we plan to be around more than a week. I’m lazy by nature! Lol.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's me too! I suppose the setup isn't all that bad ... it's the take down that's time consuming! LOL

      Delete
  4. Very little settle up is the name of the game for us too.
    Web is a great grill!
    We got hammered with wind and rain! All is quiet for now.
    Glad you are feeling a bit better. Take care!
    Frances :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was watching you guys on radar. Funny how it just hit my house here and there, mostly missing. Hope you are tied down!!!!

      Delete
  5. Lol....Jerry did say he was jealous. Sorry about the kitchen cleanup but that burger looked delicious. And we are the kind that set up as little as possible when we just stop for the night. Please eat some Red Lobster biscuits for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl ... I ate TWO biscuits for you! They are just the best biscuits EVER!!!

      Delete
  6. Your burger does look yummy! We also set up very little when it comes to overnight stops :) Haven't been in years, but used to like Red Lobster especially the biscuits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That burger was tasty enough to warrant another bbq! LOL

      Delete
  7. The only thing I usually set out was my doormat and much of the time I drove off without that.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Linda!!! That's it for me too. I suppose I could at least put a chair outside!!

      Delete
  8. Second vote for the Weber Q1200, just because I remember that's what George always used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's why I bought my first one. LOVE it!! I just forgot and left it on my patio at home. It's a GREAT bbq!

      Delete