Saturday, February 24, 2024

Beware The Chicken!!

 It's DARK!  We are in beautiful not-quite downtown Bakersfield.  It's an almost full moon trying to light up the sky.  Interestingly enough, it's not a DRY night.  There's no rain, just a layer of water covering everything.  It's not really a good thing to walk Cooper in the dark, since he just plows through all the big puddles of water and mud, but walk him I must.

I didn't mention yesterday that the little roadside stop of Ludlow looked like the swamps of Florida.  Every little depression in the sand was completely full of water.  It was like driving through a lake, just above the water level.  They have certainly had a LOT of rain!


I wasn't in a hurry on this morning since I only had a 3-1/2 hour drive.  I was meeting up with bestest friends Barbara and Tom Westerfield along the way.  That meant I had to keep Cooper occupied, which for some reason always involves ME being on the floor.  Just look at this concentration!!


He was of course waiting for me to throw the ball.  He catches it mid air, then holds it in his paws before letting it roll down so we can do it again ... and again ... and again ... you get the picture.


Here he is in action, only this time he got down to bury it in the blanket on the floor.  I definitely give him all the credit for my flexibility!!


At 8:30 I stuffed everyone in the truck and we were off!!  I kept it just above 55 because the Westerfields are night owls, unlike me.  I didn't want to get to Fresno TOO early.  Traffic was awful as usual for a Friday.  I'm glad I wasn't going the other direction though, because there were 10 trucks going south for every 2 going north.  Do you think they were going to the border??

Thank goodness I WAS going North, because the southbound lanes were at a complete standstill from Tulare to Visalia.  That's TEN MILES!!!  This is another one of those epic failures of road construction.  They take 3 lanes down to 1 lane with little or no notice.  It was a parking lot!!!

At last I reached my exit and pulled in to McCoy's coffee shop.  It's one of those secret places truckers stop.  In less than five minutes, in drove Barbara and Tom.  These two full timers taught me as much as anyone about my Class A rig when we drove to Maine and back.  Through pouring rain, tornados and windstorms ... I survived because Barbara is the best navigator there is!!


Husband Tom showed me all the ins and outs of repairing broken cupboards and drawers I tore up along the way.  He's a master woodworker.  We met here because Barbara knitted this beautiful sweater/wrap/coat for me.  She is a knitter extraordinaire and can whip out a sweater top in no time.  She tried to teach me as we worked our way back East, but I never could quite get it!!  I could have used this in Tucson's snow!!


We said our goodbyes (we'll see each other again soon since they just hung up the keys not far from me) and I was off yet again.  Finally the traffic thinned out and it was a good ride home.  My backing skills might have improved just a tad ... or I was just lucky.  I backed in to my dog leg with a curve and a narrow gate in TWO tries.  

Cooper refused to leave the truck.  I literally had to carry him into the house.  He was having none of it.  I uploaded his favorite toys and he sulked on the couch while I cleaned out the fridge.  I searched and searched for something to eat, but hamburger buns and ginger were all I could come up with.

AHA ... I found some chicken tenders I stuck in the freezer.  I do remember there being something on the packaging about HOT, but really, how hot could they be?  I'll just smother them in cold barbecue sauce.  

Out of the air fryer they came.  I took a big bite.  Okay ... a little hot, but not bad.  Next bite ... ooooh that's getting hotter.  I admit by the third bite I was on fire.  GOOD GRIEF!!!  I ran for the faucet and some cold water.  

I was really hungry by this time ... and with nothing else in sight, I thought I would peel the coating off and at least eat the chicken.  OH HECK NO!!  The chicken was drenched in even HOTTER sauce.  


Yup ... I had yet ANOTHER cupcake for dinner.  My tip of the day ..... BEWARE THE HOT CHICKEN!

The next big problem to raise its ugly head was of course DishNetwork ... my TV provider.  It's a long story, so it will wait until tomorrow.  These guys are like used car salesmen!!

The good news is I have less unpacking to do than normal, and I already ran two loads of laundry.  I have to get to the store not only for MY food, but for Cooper food.  Then I will tackle that huge laundry list of stuff I need to do!!!  

It's good to be home!!


16 comments:

  1. Glad you had a safe trip. Cooper is so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. That sweater wrap is beautiful. Welcome back to CA. Enjoy...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be home, but it's COLD here!!! Better to be in Yuma.

      Delete
  3. Glad you made it home safely. Rest up for Tuesday night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely do that!!! It always comes around faster than I think.

      Delete
  4. Gad you made it home safely in spite of the weather & adverse traffic.Dish tv is becoming less relevant & less reliable- thought perhaps you might have had the chance to check out the Starlink at Bill & patsy’s - a lot less aggravating & reliable.Cooper definitely has a charmed life,lol.All the best. A James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've checked into Starlink and it's a good deal for internet, but it doesn't have the live television programs I always watch. I'll keep checking on it though.

      Delete
  5. So glad you made it home safely! I know you will be busy getting settled in.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems there is always so much to unpack, clothing and the fridge in particular.

      Delete
  6. Nice to be home...Cooper is probably thinking, "When we are in the trailer "I" get to see other dogs, go on walks and smell other dogs, see all these people who I have not seen for along time, and I don't have to sit at home alone while mom is at BINGO!" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head Dave!! He is NOT about sitting around!! LOL

      Delete
  7. Glad you made it home safely.
    When eating spicy food, drinking water only makes it worse. Have a slice of bread, bun or dinner roll and it will cool it down.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hopefully there isn't a next time, but if there is, I will remember that!!!

      Delete
  8. I'm so happy you made it home. I had no doubts! Nice to visit with your friends, love the sweater wrap!
    Hope you got some shopping done for both of you.
    That first picture of Cooper is the sweetest!! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got NO shopping done! Oh wait ... I did get an order of Caesar's dog food for Cooper from Amazon. Good thing they have one day service!

      Delete