Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Holy Smoke!!!

Laissez le bons temps rouler!!  It was Fat Tuesday!!  Too bad I couldn't find any beignets!!  About the closest I've ever come is that little stand in Disneyland.  Maybe some day I'll try out a recipe and enhance my skills.

I'm an early bird ... but I prefer not to get the worm.  I may be up at 4:00 in the morning, but I try not to leave the house before 9:00.  So when my appointment to change the oil in my truck and check the radiator was set for 7:00 ... I was running like I got stung by a bee.  MOVE IT!  

I was almost out the door when I looked on my phone for a route.  It's not the easiest place to find, but Ray Scotts Automotive is the best one I've found in Tucson.  Besides, he was my neighbor when I owned the house.

That's when I discovered it ... and lucky that I did ... Highway 10 West was completely shut down due to an accident.  I had to go out of my way on surface streets to get there ... not on time.  They took my truck right in.  Such nice people to deal with!

And then it happened!  Holy Smokes ... the electricity went out on the entire block.  Well that's not good!! It's a good thing my phone was charged up.  I played games for awhile, then watched Top Gun Maverick. I mean if you're going to sit for that long, that's the best movie to watch!!


They finally handed me the keys and said to take off.  No worries about paying, they will contact me later.  A few hours after I got home, they called with a $107.00 bill.  That worked for me.

The kids were happy to see me come home.  Jonathan chewed up his last stick to celebrate.  It took all of two minutes.


My sweet boy Cooper was sleeping, but not for long.  He has learned to walk me very well, so off we went.  Truly, I'm getting all my exercise walking up and down my steps carrying him.  


I had plans, but they are always made to be broken.  Over half the day was gone, so I decided to find some Holy Smokin' Butts BBQ.  Anyone with this name HAS to have some yummy smoked meat.  It wasn't far away ... down on Broadway, but be careful of the parking lot.  It has holes so big if your truck fell in, you wouldn't find it again.


BUTT ... this BUTT is amazing stuff.  On the left, brisket with sweet bbq sauce.  It comes lean, cross cut or moist.  I chose lean.  I've tried smoking brisket a couple of times.  It looked nothing like this.  The flavor was amazing and fork tender.  Holy smokes!!!

On the right is the BUTT ... pork butt to be exact, with NO chunks of fat.  That's the sign of a good smoker.  I got Carolina sauce for that one ... mustard based.


I was in heaven.  I tried not to stuff myself, hoping to save at least 3/4 or it for future meals.  You know me, no cooking involved.    So if you like barbecue, check out this place.  It's 5 star in my book!  by the way, you can dine in also.  Here's one of their meals.  I prefer to dispense with all the sides and just chow down on the meat.


And so ended a day of accomplishments.  I've been waiting to cross something off my list!  

TODAY is February 14!  HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!  It also happens to be SOMEONE'S birthday.  So what do you do when it's your birthday and you are in Tucson?  Why you go to the quilt store of course ... because you get an extra discount for your special day on everything you buy.  I guess you know where we will be today!!!!!  

A big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my best friend and partner in crime for something like 40+ years.  It's been a blast, from quilting forays, to antique finagling, to smooshing the hotel clerks into giving the Harley riders a room, to chopping down flowers in a stranger's yard.  May you have many MANY more!!





14 comments:

  1. That meat looks delicious. It's 8:45 in the am and man, I could scarf that down. My mouth is watering!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS delicious!! If you're ever here, check them out!!

      Delete
  2. Good price on the oil change. Happy Birthday to you know who.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill ... I think they treat me right. Plus they check everything else ... grease it, check the water, etc.

      Delete
  3. Happy Valentines day!
    Meat looks wonderful!
    Weather is getting nicer each day in SLO.
    Enjoy your day, Happy Birthday to your best friend!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances ... I do love good barbecue. I'm glad the weather is on the upturn.

      Delete
  4. Fixin' to put Ribs into our slow cooker here shortly. (Ya, that Arkansas Dialect comes out of me still....first time I heard "Fixin" was when I asked one of my Branch Managers how old her children were..."And he is fixin' to turn 5 next month..." I asked her, "How does one "Fixin" to turn 5?" She laughed. Fixin' then became a part of my language.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny the words we pick up. I love good ribs, but this brisket is my first choice.

      Delete
  5. I hope you both enjoy someone's birthday! It's good to see Cooper back to his old self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha ... someone is having a great day! I'm happy when Coopers happy!!

      Delete
  6. I just found your blog as I searched for A Ribbon Runs Through It - I've been working on that quilt for a couple of years and I am finally in the process of sewing the rows together. Then I went down the rabbit hole of reading your blog and have enjoyed it immensely! I'm a Texas native and still live there but travel to our Arizona home (southeast of Tucson, north of Sierra Vista) regularly (husband's job is in AZ, mine is in TX, though I work remotely). I don't mean to write an essay, but wanted to say I'm enjoying traveling along with you vicariously :-) Safe travels and enjoy your time in Arizona!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great way to meet people! Thank you for posting a message. Oh yeah ... that quilt for a doozy!! It will be well worth your time when it's done. I love mine. Sadly I'm leaving Arizona soon, or I would try to meet up. I'd love to hear more about Texas! Keep in touch ... I'll be back!!

      Delete
  7. Nice the shop let you leave before paying. Everything is so dependent on electricity today.
    That food looks delicious.
    Be Safe and Enjoy celebrating your friend's Birthday.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard a big power station got hit in Parker, cutting off Parker, Bouse, Quartzsite and all the surrounding areas. Maybe we shouldn't rely on electricity so much. You could give people lessons on boon docking!!

      Delete