Sunday, March 27, 2022

Slow and Go

 I'm a little late on the uptake this morning.  It's hard for me to get motivated when there is just SO much to do.  I spent yesterday morning going through all the paperwork for taxes.  As you can imagine, that's my least favorite thing to do.  Like the mechanic who never works on his own car, I'm bad about organizing all that paperwork and creating the worksheets required by my tax guy.  Making it worse, most all of my official paperwork is in a big cardboard box at the Post Office ... remember my P.O. Box got broken in to just before I left.

I didn't have much time to waste ... I was supposed to be at the Elks Lodge at 12:30 for official portraits by Cris.  He's my photography buddy from way back and I'm so happy the lodge took my recommendation to have him do the work.  

If you've ever met photographers, they are very closed mouthed about how to do things.  Not Cris, he'll show you everything, equipment to buy and how to use it.  He'll tell you all the secrets we learned years ago.  I'm also SO VERY proud that he has now lost 140 pounds.  When we had photo shoots in San Francisco, he was our body guard ... and a VERY good one!!  This is a good guy.  Too bad he's married.


Amazingly, all six people showed up for the portraits.  It actually takes longer to set the whole thing up than it does to take the photos.  Pretty snazzy table settings we had to squeeze in between.


Once the photos were done, we had 90 minutes to wait for the "official" arrival of the officers.  Truly, I'm not about all the pomp and circumstance.  It's just not my thing.  I hid upstairs in the bar waiting for the appetizers.  That's not my plate either .... full to the brim .... nor my fingers trying to steal a bite.  


At long last we went into the Lodge Room for the official swearing in of the new officers.  It's fascinating to see how people react to this sort of thing.  The new regime wants to return to the days of old with long drawn out ceremonies.  I may not be long for this, since this cowgirl really doesn't fit in with the mucky muck crowd, made all the more difficult since I'm single.  I think I should just stick to Bingo!!

As soon as the festivities were over, they all headed down to the prime rib dinner.  I snuck out the back door as fast as I could, so relieved to get that bow tie off my neck!!!

This morning I return to unloading with a trip to the grocery store as soon as possible.  I have one avocado, a few tortillas and a bag of potatoes chips for dinner.  Somehow that isn't very appetizing.  To make it worse, I'm out of peanut butter cookies!!  Time for some baking.



12 comments:

  1. Wow! Cris looks awesome! Congrats to him! That plate of whoever's food that is looks awesome, give me that instead of prime rib! LOL. Long drawn out ceremonies, no thanks haha. Yep time for the grocery store for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you ... those chicken wings were delicious!!!

      Delete
  2. Cris sound like a great person. You are right, it is hard to find someone who will take the time to teach you the finer points of photography. Barb and I are not ones for pomp and circumstance either. We like the organizations and the cause they stand for, but have no time for the self-important people who like nothing more than to hear themselves talk. There seems to be one in every crowd....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe there's six in this crowd!!! Love the organization, but the posturing is getting tiresome.

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, tax time, the annual dreaded chore. That is one of the first things to tackle when we are back home I guess. Of course a trip to the supermarket I am actually looking forward to when we return. It will be so much better for my wallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan of tax time. I pay a ridiculous amount every year. You shouldn't have to pay after age 70!!!

      Delete
  4. I've never been to an official 'photo shoot' so wouldn't know the first thing but I'm glad Cris was your man. I think it would be fun with my daughter to do one.:)
    You should have hung on to those Nutter Butter cookies, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I will always remember Nutter Butters now!!

      Delete
  5. When I was a kid the moment church was over I first lost the tie, second lost the suit jacket, third lost the shirt and tossed them all into the car. (Third only during summer when it was hot) As an adult I hated each day I had to wear a tie, which, as a restaurant manager was just about every day...as a Librarian I only wore a tie for special occasions. I STILL don't know what the purpose of a tie is....

    Mailing my taxes tomorrow...of course, at our stage now it is very simple to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tie probably wouldn't be quite so bad if it was for the starched neck!!! I hate taxes!!

      Delete
  6. I have never understood why anyone enjoys long drawn out ceremonies. Sounds like grocery shopping would be a good idea.
    Chris does sound like a good guy. I know I am behind as usual but glad to read you made it home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the main reason is pomp and circumstance comes with lots of attention. And they want to make the ceremonies even longer!

      Delete