Friday, March 11, 2022

Erase Erase .... Oops!!!

 It's like a surprise birthday party every morning when I retrieve the game camera.  Some times I have to concentrate on the images to figure out what the heck it is.  And then I make the BIG SNAFU ... I accidentally erase them.  Wah wah waaaaaah .......

It wasn't anything exciting since you really couldn't tell what it was, but a hummingbird came along at morning's early light and hit on the red infrared camera lights.  I guess he thought it was a flower?  It was just a big blur, but you could hear him chirping.  THIS guy however ..... I love it when they are so relaxed they close their eyes while drinking.  It just tastes so GOOD!!  For those who asked, yes this water supply is set up to run year round.


While having my coffee, sitting in front of the slider since it's just too cold outside, I heard the telltale chirp of happy quail.  This is the first time I've heard that all winter long.  Gambel's quail usually stick together in small family groups during the spring and summer, but gather in much larger groups during the winter.  Up until now I think I've only seen two.  There were eleven on this morning.


It's interesting to watch the ebb and flow of critters.  I'm usually graced with lots of deer, but this year there were very few.  No quail either, but TONS of desert cottontail rabbits.  Also this year, more sparrows than I've ever seen or heard.  There is a huge group that comes to water every morning.  Sadly, all of these guys fly away when I open the door, quiet as I am, so it's hard to get photos.


I spent the morning quilting this new pattern of suns on Patty's quilt.  I love it!!  Especially since I make so many southwest quilts.


Next up came list after list.  If I don't want to forget something ... like all my checkbooks and financial data which I left home last time ... I need LISTS!  I began checking off things like charging up those tool batteries and getting them in the truck.  Then I hefted that oh-so-heavy generator onto the tailgate that I had just raised two inches by airing up the air bags.  Note to self ... do the lifting FIRST next time!

Since our Golden Spike RV group has a trip planned for the end of April, I gathered up everything I needed for that and stuffed it in the truck.  I'm going to have a full load going home, what with those six big boxes of fabric and ten quilts that need binding.  There's never enough room!!

Patty and I discussed having lunch at Saguaro Corners since I have only had shrimp and grits one time.  We made plans, only to find out they were closed.  Of course Patty said "I'll just make it"!!  Everything she cooks is delicious, so I was IN.  


We even made some cheddar bay biscuits!!  This of course was twice what I normally eat, but boy was it delicious!!!  We laughed because in the end she had 89 dirty dishes to wash.  It's okay though, since her dishwasher actually works!!


I didn't sleep well last night, so there may be a nap in my future.  I distinctly remember hearing rain on the roof for quite some time.  Either that or it was a really big owl flying over.  As is usual in the desert, an hour later you can't tell any water ever hit the ground.

It's time for another surprise party .... I'm going to get the game camera.


10 comments:

  1. Sent you an email. I guess you will be in Cal when we arrive in April, perhaps we can meet again this year. I'd say "half-way" that that would be like Stockton! No way I am going into Stockton! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Stockton isn't the best place, even if you are just passing through! I'll keep in touch!!

      Delete
  2. I could watch those quail all day, just love their antics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! They are so darn cute, and love to dig in my garden for fluffing dirt!! LOL

      Delete
  3. You got some beautiful pictures of the quail! We had 5 run through our site this morning,first time ever!
    Live the suns in that quilt. I don't understand the'how'at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the quail become a little more prolific around here. Maybe in the early summer.

      Delete
  4. Love the animals. Almost time for your trek to Quartzsite soon. Hope all goes well and you're happy with your solar setup. Are you heading to California from there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still not sure if I'm getting solar Doug. The cost to usage ratio isn't very good at the moment!! Although with the price of gas to run the generator, I'm leaning that way at the moment. LOL

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't go into Stockton either after seeing all the homeless camps along the freeway Dave! Love the quail too, especially when they have the little babies running too! The food looks oh so yummy! Don't like shrimp but the rest would work for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call the babies itty bitties. Yup they sure are cute!!!

      Delete