Tuesday, March 22, 2022

I'm BAAAAACK!!

I packed well.  In fact, I packed so well I had clothes, toiletries and snacks to last three days, all in one tiny purse/backpack.  All of Coopers stuff was in one small lunchbox and water in an even smaller one.  As you can tell from this picture, he wasn't impressed.

So off we went to the big City of Havasu, about 90 minutes North.  I'm always impressed by the RV parks along the river, packed in like sardines, but with beautiful views.  I could do that, but I'm sure I would never outlast the waiting list.  

This wasn't the easiest place to find.  My phone kept giving me WALKING directions, which didn't compute when I drove.  After several passes around the block, I finally found the back door with little to no directions on where to go.  I caught a uniformed guy in the parking lot who pointed down the hill.  What a weird setup.  Inside the closed garage doors, it was so loud with echos I could hardly hear.

In spite of being early, Bradley Chevrolet took me right in.  I explained the problem, whereupon they agreed with the diagnosis and directed me to the waiting room.  I tried to impress the "I'm really homeless here" part, but got no sympathy.  At least I passed a car rental place on the way if it became necessary.

Neither Cooper nor I relished sitting in the waiting room in too-small chairs, but he's so cute, he got lots of attention from the employees.  And we waited ..... and waited.  Not able to watch my stuff and Cooper and leave to check on their progress, I called to talk to the lady on the other side of that door.  I laughed about it, she did not.

Two hours had passed and she had nothing.  Patience Nancy .... patience!


Twenty minutes later she came in the door to explain what they had done.  I expected major repairs.  Here's what she said:  The bearings are fine and the brakes are fine, as is the transfer case.  Really?  Quite by accident when it was up on the lift, the mechanic noticed one of the heat shields over the air bags was loose.  He fixed it and adjusted both shields so the air bag wouldn't melt and cost me a chunk.  

Then he drove the truck to find no noise.  Yup ... that was it ... the shields on the air bags.  $141.00 to save me $500 down the road.  That was a good deal I guess.

On the way home, in spite of seeing diesel at $5.69 in Havasu, I stopped at Running Man on the reservation.  Half of their pumps were covered, meaning not available.  I got a few gallons just to be sure I made it back home to Quartzsite where it's $4.99 a gallon.  Running Man was $5.07.


Back in Q with 25-30 mph winds and crazy gusts that shook the trailer all afternoon, I turned off the power and tried out the solar.  Lookie lookie ... I have TV!!!


For 2 hours, the TV, dish controller and satellite control were on, even if I was snoozing a moment or two. After another 30 minutes, it was at 12.4 because I completely forgot and used the microwave for coffee.  I was pretty shocked when I actually realized the microwave WORKED!!


So all in all, a great day.  I can't thank Patsy and Bill enough for their offer to go get me if I had to spend the night in Havasu.  AND for keeping an eye on Jonathan.  

I'll be hanging out here for another two days to see what other trouble I can get in to.  There are more smells for Cooper to find and more puzzles for me to ponder over with Patsy.  

Big sigh ... it really was a good day, in spite of Cooper getting sick all over my bed last night.  He seems to be better this morning.  Oh the joys of "children"!  


16 comments:

  1. Great news! I too hate sitting in those rooms, and the lack of communication sometimes is just beyond my comprehension. I see what Doug and Nick have been going through and all I can say is, that is one patient man there, I would have lost it days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that has to be a best-case scenario to get out of there for less than $200! Now relax and spend your remaining two days there with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad things are under control without breaking the bank.
    Be Safe and Enjoy time with your friends.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome news. Jerry got home yesterday. Sunday his travel was slow because of a strong head wind. I hope you can relax and enjoy your a couple of "days off". Elva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Headwinds have been just awful. I could barely keep it at 55 last week. Hopefully they will be gone in a day or two. Glad Jerry made it home safely!

      Delete
  5. You know we're almost as thrilled as you are and certainly happy to have you around for a couple more days! Yay!
    Now to get out friends fixed up. 🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear the good news about Lori and Roland. And couldn't be happier to have you guys as neighbors!!

      Delete
  6. You certainly lack in the patience department, Nancy. Wonder what you would do if you were stuck two weeks with little information😃 So glad it was a small problem and inexpensive. During the day while the sun is out you should be able to watch TV whenever you want. Use it or lose it as they say😁 Now enjoy your boondocking time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gotta tell you Doug ... I would have been screaming after the third day. You have the patience of Job!!!

      Delete
  7. Yay! Glad you got it fixed so quickly and not too expensive! Enjoy your time with friends...nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very surprising outcome. Made me a happy camper!!

      Delete
  8. Glad to read everything turned out so well...yay! That picture that first picture of Cooper is precious.

    ReplyDelete