Thursday, March 3, 2022

Coyote Watch

 Boy do I love watching these critters, and it's even better if I'm able to catch them on camera.  It was a beautiful warm day, much more like an Arizona winter.  It began with some hard work when Dan said he was coming over to move all those oleander and palm tree branches out to the roadside.  

Apparently the Homeowners Association (very small with a negligible cost) is hiring a big Waste Management Truck to come around and pick up anything and everything we want to get rid of.  For FREE!  It wasn't all that bad since we only had to load the backhoe which he then drove to the road.

Once done, that gave me time to work on these images.  I think this is Big Momma, but I'm not sure.  the markings on her back are the giveaway, although a couple of her kids have the same markings.


I snapped away as fast as I could, this one being a little blurry since it was shot through the window.  Opening the slider usually makes them take off.


She drank for quite some time, giving me the evil eye now and then to be sure I wasn't moving.


The family was out and about last night.  They woke me up with all their howling and greetings at about 2:00 and they are back again this morning at 5:00.  Cooper can hear them and is barking in return.  Makes you wonder what they are saying!!


With visions of coyotes in my head, I took off to the fabric store for what else, more fabric.  Sometimes it doesn't pay to do anything when you are tired.  I cut the fabric entirely the wrong way, ending up with 14 pieces instead of seven.  I was able to get 12 yards of black and white at close to half price.  I'll use it up in no time.

Being tired at the end of the day lead to the little accident with a knife while cutting up the meat for my stir fry.  I'm pretty bad about using up leftover veggies, so figured I'd give this a try.  I learned two things.  One, a thumb tends to bleed a LOT.  It's okay, that chunk will grow back eventually.


Two, there's nothing that hurts more than a cut thumb when you need it to sew the binding on a quilt.  Those thumbs that hold things together work really well until you are missing part of it.  As you can tell I have LOTS of binding to do.


Dessert made me feel a little better ... no-bake lime cheesecake I made a couple of days ago.  I ran out of little pie shells so I used mason jars.


The best part of the day was actually putting on a pair of shorts before eating the pie!!!  It's finally warming up in southern Arizona!!



16 comments:

  1. Great shots on the coyote! It is always fun to see them in person. Those cheesecakes look delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, enjoy watching coyotes if you think they are photogenic.

    But don't think visual fun makes the coyote less lethal for your little dog. Just a few seconds of vulnerability will result in a dead dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much enjoy watching them and my dog was not outside. I've been around wildlife all my life and would never let my dogs out for even a second without me being right there watching. It's not the coyotes that bother me, it's the rattlesnakes.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful and healthy coyote. Glad it's getting warmer but not ready for high 80s quite yet. 😀 cutting chunks from your thumb gives umph to your stir fry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Doug ... actually the stir fry needed something!!! I just don't know what!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures of a beautiful coyote! She's so pretty!
    That cheesecake also sounds and looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ... healthy and great fun to watch. I actually eat the cheesecake frozen. It keeps really well in the freezer.

      Delete
  5. The coyote pictures....WOW! Elva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing her come around. She is a beauty!

      Delete
  6. Backhoes and tractors certainly come in handy! Love the coyote pics! Beautiful animal! Stir fry looks yummy and so does your little cheesecakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan says it's the best piece of equipment he ever bought. I totally agree.

      Delete
  7. That cheesecake looks yummy! Was just talking with hubby yesterday about making a key lime cheesecake for son's birthday (tomorrow). They can be so delicious!

    Great coyote pictures! I haven't seen too many here in suburban Phoenix but when we lived in parts of Southern California there were lots of them around (in the city). People were always on the guard to watch out for their small pets.

    Ouch with your thumb cut! Hope it heals quickly!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Key lime cheesecake ... YUMMY!! Same here ... never leave your pets outside without supervision. Most people here have tall chain link fences just for that reason.

      Delete