Sunday, January 9, 2022

Quilt Show ... Oh Look ... PIE!!!

There's one thing I learned about quilt shows many years ago.   I'm an old fashioned traditional quilt maker.  Modern is not my cup of tea, although I think it's beautiful.  To put it in simple terms, none of these are COWBOY fare.  

Striking, yes, but I reject out of hand anything that requires circles.  This year there was a lot of appliqué on the quilts.  It's interesting to see the trends and for some reason this year was much more modern.


This is fabulous paper piecing.  I did one and really enjoyed it, but it must have been the easiest one made.  Since then I purchased three more and cannot for the life of me figure out how to make them.  They remain on the shelves.  Yes I've tried to find a teacher, but so far, no luck.

Quilt shows always have lots of vendors ready to sell you their wares, thus the need for cash.  For some weird reason, nothing struck my fancy this time around.  


Just to show you that all quilts are not created equal, we thought this one was aptly named ... Flower Nightmare.  You just have to have the right house to put it in.  It was beautifully done, but again, not cowboy-ish.


This was part of a fascinating exhibit of small quilt projects, all pertaining to Princess Diana.  If you like quilts, check out Ray's Blog.  I'm sure he will post more pictures of the quilts.


My favorite was this beauty ... still no cowboy ... but fabulous anyway.  


I did pick up this panel of images to make into a quilt at some point.  And so we made a beeline to the Marketplace for more kokopeli fabric.   I'm proud to say Ray and Cindy spent WAY more than I did for once!  It's a race you know!


Then we wandered over to the popcorn place ... caramel, my all time favorite.  How can you possibly walk by that smell??  I was actually looking for a small heavy metal step stool for Cooper so he can get up on the chair in the rig, but found nothing.


SQUIRREL!!  I made a trip to Walmart for bottled water in the afternoon.  It's probably the biggest store I've been in.  It didn't take long to get completely distracted by these yummy little 50 cent pies.  Okay, water and pies.  


At some point I got a note on my phone that one of my tires was low on air.  Ray got out his handy dandy mini air compressor and we aired them up.  Now if I can only figure out how I lost 20 gallons of water between Tucson and here.  I know it was full because water came out the overflow.  I have been very careful with usage and now only have about 25 gallons left out of 62.  How does that happen??  There's that learning curve again.

My plan for today was to rest up for the trip to Quartzsite tomorrow, but I keep hearing this whisper ..... you need a mini air compressor (it's always better to be prepared) ...... and go to the quilt store, go to the quilt store!!!!!




12 comments:

  1. My wife, Nancy's grandmother, Audie lived on a ranch in Oklahoma. She was a cowgirl and married a cowboy. She made a quilt called The Yellow Rose of Texas. I have it now and it is like new. Audie lost her mother when she was ten. Then her daddy and brother went to work as cowboys on a big ranch and left Audie with a family that had four small brats. Later her daddy and brother came by to visit her. When they were ready to go and sitting on the wagon, Audie said, wait just a minute. She went back in the cabin and came out with her mattress and stuff and said I'm going with you. Sam in the Ozarks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story!!! I'll have to look up that quilt pattern. I would be an Audie ... I'd rather be on the ranch!!

      Delete
  2. From my point of view, lots of activity in those quilts. All lovely, I admire the craftmanship in each one. Yes! Kokopellis would be nice and cowgirl-ish. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hours and hours spent on some. Not to mention the actual quilting time.

      Delete
  3. The loss of air in a tire might be a stem which needs to be replaced, perhaps even just tightened. I too like the animal one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm didn't think about that. If it continues, I'll have them checked.

      Delete
  4. I got one of those little compressors years ago and it was one of the best purchases I ever made. Buy a good one and it will pay for itself over and over. I could not do without it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It amazing how often we need them. I'm looking ......

      Delete
  5. I liked the second pictured quilt best. Ask Tom about losing water. It happened to me and i lost 25 gallons before Tom showed me the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay ... I'll definitely ask. I can't afford to lose that much with such a small tank.

      Delete
  6. Whoever wrote the story about Audie....I love it. Well everyone talked about quilts, air compressors and water so I'll be different. I love those little pastries from Walmart. One time I got lemon cake....yummy. Elva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Elva. They are a perfect dessert for super cheap!! And tasty too!!!

      Delete