Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Bye Bye Baby!!

I feel like I sat around and did absolutely nothing yesterday.  But there was progress in spite of it.

I called the quilting machine manufacturer pretty early since they are back East.  I got a very nice lady who seemed to be very knowledgeable.  I took a picture of the back of the carriage, only to have her say the communication cable was installed incorrectly.  It had two twists in it when apparently there should be none.  At her request, I removed and reinstalled it correctly.  

Then I set an area, pulled up a pattern and sized it according to her instructions.  There was one very important step my Tech missed. She said to hit the "baseline" button.  That compresses the directions so the machine is not overwhelmed.  Sadly, nothing worked.

She said she would immediately send out a new cord and a new front panel.  YAY ... but it won't arrive until I'm gone.  BOOOOO!!!!!

And so I occupied myself with making up several lists of what I need to take to Yuma.  I put air in the tires with my mini-compressor, which midway through refused to work.  All you men out there .... don't laugh too hard .... I plugged it into a long extension cord to reach the second back wheel.  I hit the ON button and it didn't work.  I found out later upon my second try that the tank was full of air.  All I had to do was air up the tire for it to continue.  I can hear you laughing because that's what I did!!!!

Mr. Chance came over mid morning to work on the concrete wall he's building to keep my hill intact.  It's a one man job he said, so I tried to stay out of his way until the bottom layer was set and leveled.


I thought it went really fast as he used the backhoe and a hoe to scrape away the dirt.  When I came back out, it was time to hand him the blocks for stacking.  


Woohoo ... it went really quickly from there.  Rebar will be pounded into each block and concrete poured. This is going to be an amazing addition to my driveway!  I feel bad that I'm leaving soon and won't be able to help much.  


In the midst of trying to figure out what to take for food since I have little freezer space, I got a phone call that my quilting machine would be picked up and taken back to their shop for repairs.  BUT ... I had to wait until 7:00 pm for him to arrive.  

They gave him directions to my house, but literally NO ONE comes to visit after dark.  I didn't realize you cannot see how to enter the house in the dark.  I found him wandering around the garage.

We dismantled the machine while I gave him the lowdown on the cable.  As I suspected, he mentioned the front piece they replaced really WAS different inside, meaning it wasn't meant for my machine.  This is turning into a comedy of errors.  

By the way, this guy was a tall handsome drink of water.  Too bad he was so young!!!  I said bye bye baby as my quilting machine went out the door.  I sure hope it comes back in working condition and doesn't cause me any troubles in the future.  I have a four year contract that covers absolutely everything, which is going to be extended five months since that's how long I haven't had it in my possession.  


Today's schedule includes shopping for groceries and packing up the rig.  There will probably be some Dan helping in there too to get my mind off quilting.  

FYI the cigarette lighter electric blanket for Jonathan does not work on anything but a cigarette lighter connection.  I plugged it into a USB and it doesn't work at all.  I may have to sleep with Jonathan under the covers!!!  Won't THAT be fun!!


13 comments:

  1. The retaining wall is looking awesome! Hopefully your machine will come back in working order! What a shame they couldn't fix it "in house". Interesting about the electric blanket...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The electric blanket .. interesting and even though I looked everywhere, I could not find a blanket NOT made in China. I'm sure the machine will be fixed, I just have to be patient.

      Delete
  2. They make an adapter for that: https://tinyurl.com/3xfva548 (amazon link) and have it sent to a Amazon Lock Box near where you will be at when it is scheduled to be delivered. Just be sure the blanket does not exceed wattage output: 12V 8W Max

    Another possibility is this: https://tinyurl.com/5bhapf2u We use this when we are boondocking to run Marcia's computer It can be hooked directly to your trailer batteries, or to your truck. Wire is thin so the window almost closes over the wire.

    If you never used a Amazon Lock Box, it is very simple. They send you an email/text telling you it is there and the code to open the box. When you check out just put delivery location to the nearest box, which you can search for as part of the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that last tinyurl was to a smile.amazon, try this instead: https://tinyurl.com/4myz6exd

      Delete
    2. Ahh I see. Well hopefully when (and if) I get the blue flame heater, the blanket won't be necessary. By the way, it too came from China and was only $20. So if that doesn't work, no big loss.

      Delete
  3. Nice job, Dan, on the retaining wall. What an improvement that will make. :) Good luck with the packing and with your machine. I'm glad they will extend the extended warranty. They needed to!! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposedly they have installed 30 or 40 this year with no problems. These things are selling like hotcakes because everyone is staying home now. I too love the wall!!!!

      Delete
  4. USB power is only design for low-voltage 1.5 to 3v
    From the owners forum reflection does not have a 12 V lighter type plug-in which a lot of customers wish they would've put them in because they use sleep apps As well as other devices

    Wherever you're going to put Jonathan there should be a 12 V line close to that you could go to any marine store / Napa auto and have it installed really simple It only requires a 1 inch hole

    As far as your sewing machine goes I hope they're smart enough to pre-test it before they deliver it back to you... as well as testing it when they reinstall it


    Last but not least why don't you spend at least two nights in the unit before you leave that way you can find out what you need and what you don't need and things you might forget
    The things that I always forget ? Are there things that are not attached to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup staying in it the night before I leave is a good idea, that way I won't forget things. There is a 110 plug near the cage, so if I get an inverter, I can just plug in his heat lamp, although maybe a smaller watt type. That and the blue flame should work good.

      Delete
  5. That Dan is a power of knowledge. You're so lucky to have him as a friend. Water is not easy to hold back. It's got to come out somewhere, just not through your driveway. Good luck with the sewing machine. Be careful with Jonathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plan is to divert water around that section. It can still cross the driveway, just not at that particular location.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like the retaining wall is going to be a good addition to your driveway. Fingers crossed when you finally get the quilting machine back it does what it is suppose to do. Good Luck packing this is the only thing I have advice about...make lists...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots of lists everywhere!!! Today I'm updating my old list to the new rig. See you soon!!

      Delete