Thursday, January 13, 2022

Lithium vs AGM Batteries

 We survived another chilly cold night, but got down to 52 degrees in my rig when I turned off the heat.   I won't do that again.   From this day forward, it's supposed to warm up to around 67 during the day.  Woohoo!!  Am I really in Quartzsite or did we take a left and end up in Canada ..  Eh???

I thought I probably needed a trip to the solar store, just to be doubly sure they had me on their list, so off I went around 9:30.  I see literally no one on the corner of Kuehn Street ... no RV's in the lot with electric hookups and no vendors on either side of the street on the East side, better known as Rice Ranch.  I turned left instead.

That is of course the location of the Tyson Wells flea market, we-sell-everything vendors from A-Z.  I think the rows only go to R or S and everything else is a parking lot.  Even many of the rows only go half way.  


As usual, I'm too early.  No one gets up around here until 10:00 and the vendors don't open until about 11:00.  This gentleman is selling honey, but that wasn't on my list.   All I got was one small lantern so I don't trip over Cooper in the morning dark.


With no one getting up, let alone opening their booths, I drove off to Discount Solar for a lesson in Lithium batteries.  This is a LifeBlue battery that takes the place of two AGM's.  The big question is are they really worth the price?  Anyone have an experience with them?  

This battery is $800, about the equivalent of three AGM's.  Lithium batteries are guaranteed 10 years, although I'm sure they wouldn't give you full price if it failed.  AGM's run about $250 each and are only guaranteed for 5 years.  So what say ye???

I did a little footwork on the internet, only to find that the "experts" call it a tie.  It's interesting to note that one lithium battery can take the place of TWO AGM's or regular batteries, meaning less weight.  You can also download an app to your phone that will tell you everything about it's stage of charge.  It's an interesting subject ... and I'm leaning towards lithium at this particular moment.  Anyone have experience with them?


Once back, Bill came over to help put the knob back on my generator.  It's a good thing too, because I never in a million years would have figured out how to take that little rubber cap off in order to reach the screw.    We are back in working order.  

I ran the generator again last night to charge up the batteries, but again, at least according to the light panel which I now don't trust as far as I can throw it .... they are sitting below 12.3.   No matter, they only need to last until a week from tomorrow.  Ugh ... that's a long time!!


In the interest of not posting the exact same thing as the two other rigs, although you know that's going to happen ..... here's Gibbs and Cooper as Patsy and I went for a short walk down the road.  Cooper just trotted along as Gibbs looked for any grand prize he could carry in his mouth back to his Dad for approval.


When we got back ... VOILA ... there were three rigs present.  Tom and Deb pulled in to join the party.


Check out their blogs (patsyischillin.blogspot.com)  for pictures, since I only took pictures of Deb taking pictures.  By the way, the three second rule applies to Gibbs.  If you are out of your chair for three seconds, it's his!!


Such an expressive face for a rambunctious kid you just can't help but hug.


Today is a big day, besides tossing around the lithium ideas ... I'm making spaghetti!  Won't that be fun!!!  I may have to go buy another roll of paper towels for cleanup.  We shall see how it goes.  Seriously, cooking without a microwave or electricity is an art form and I have no talent.  What's your favorite EASY thing to cook in your rig???


27 comments:

  1. Hotdogs. I've been so busy lately I've missed your posts about boondocking. But I've gone back and caught up. Sounds like you're getting lots of help but you need to borrow a Mr Heater to keep Jon warm till your permanent one. Just be sure to crack a window. So much to learn. You should find the lowest usage you can live on comfortably and not the miserable minimum 🥶 it's fun learning this stuff but it never ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I get the blue flame heater, Jonathan will be good. Until then, I'm using up propane and electricity. You are right ... a lot to learn!

      Delete
  2. Since I am looking for the second poodle in my life and the search is not going very well: can you say how and where you got Cooper?

    I want to learn any trick of the trade that I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooper is going on 13 years old and his breeder is no longer in business. I would look for reputable breeders, although I know they are hard to come by. Don't buy from anyone who won't let you visit their facility.

      Delete
  3. If you go Lithium, just be sure that your inverter/controller can work with Lithium and not over charge them. And that your new solar can also handle Lithium. With Lithium, you can get MORE battery power in the space you have, that is for sure. You should read this article just to be sure you know what you are getting into: https://tinyurl.com/2p9hjxeu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guys installing the solar will put it all together so it works. The problem would be if I went BACK to AGMs. Would the system then charge a different kind of battery. I'll find out.

      Delete
  4. This whole boondocking IS a learning experience but in my mind, anyone who can drive cattle trucks, Class A motorhomes while towing a truck AND drive (& turn) 5th wheels can pick up the art of boondocking. You are doing great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting it, but slowly, and only thanks to your husband for helping me out.

      Delete
  5. No comment on batteries as I know nothing LOL. Adding to the party with Tom and Deb...awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy: (1) we have a Mr. Buddy Heater in our toy hauler and use it in the morning and perhaps at night before heading to bed. We use the portable propane bottles without using Mr. Heater FAN. Once the RV gets warmed up, David will reduce from two heater screens to one heater screen, again without the FAN. There are times we will use the PROPANE heater from the furnace for extra warmth, but not for very long....usually for showers. (2) I prepare foods in containers for freezing and labeled before heading out. My RV refrigerator in the toy hauler is a nice size so I can carry variety of meals. I usually take my container out the night before for defrosting for next day's meal(s). I will use the stovetop for heating food up and usually not a problem. I will use the microwave with the generator when necessary. You can always go up the road to get your propane bottles refilled. I AM NOT a LOVER OF BOOMDOCKING, but I find planning ahead helps without making meals from scratch. Water usage is tricky, but showers will be every 2 days and empty containers will capture the COLD WATER while the water gets hot. The captured COLD WATER will be used to make coffee. (3) David prefers Lithum. More expensive upfront, but cheaper in the long haul. Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I should have done. Prepared stuff ahead and froze it, although I really don't have hardly any freezer space. And I'm getting a blue flame heater, they just haven't come in yet. Thanks Lynn!!

      Delete
  7. Our Grand Design converter in our 26ft trailer (WF-8955PEC) can, accordingly to the converter manufacturer, safely charge lithium batteries. However, when towing the trailer, the truck cannot charge the lithium batteries. This is one drawback or minus point. We thought about lithium batteries too, but the price for 3 batteries, each 100amp, did throw us off. We opted for 3 Group 31 AGM (100 amp each) instead. Yes we can only use 50% of the battery capacity, but with four 100amp solar panels on the roof, it really des not matter. Having solar panels is more important than spending the money for lithium batteries. As well it is one can of fleas less to worry. There is a website you might find useful:
    https://wfcoelectronics.com/lithium-solutions/
    BTW spaghetti will cook with the heat turned off just standing in hot water and the lid on tight after they first came to boil. I use my pressure cooker pot for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting ... more to think about. I didn't know the truck would not charge lithiums while going down the highway. Maybe 3 solar panels would be better than the lithium batteries. Guess I better go talk to them again. Thank you so much for the info!!

      Delete
  8. Lithium batteries can be depleted much further than AGM batteries which is why the 2 for 1 situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last year had Discount Solar replace two AGM batteries with two LifeBlue 100v batteries. LOVE, LOVE, the difference. I simply pull up the app on my phone and I am able to see the current state of charge and want power is coming in.
    No more looking at the red dots on the panel, with the app I always know whats what with my batteries.
    Yes, they were expensive, but for me the cost was so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about your generator? Does that also charge lithium batteries when it's running??? I did see two different sizes of LifeBlues. One smaller than the one pictured above. Is that what you got??

      Delete
    2. I have a Class C, my alternator, my on-board generator and shore power charges my batteries. I'm having Discount Solar install 190 watts of solar on my rig in Feb. so the panel will also charge the batteries as well.
      I can't tell by the picture if mine is the same size. I don't think they are the smaller ones.

      Delete
  10. Do the math one lithium i battery $800 one AGM battery 150 The warranty on AGM battery is usually good for three years with a complete replacement of failure regardless of who is the fault
    The warranty for your lithium ion battery is only if it's a manufacture defect
    Which would pretty much give you your eight year lifespan what the lithium ion battery will not replace if you depleted because it becomes junk
    If you were into full-time Boondocking and you had the electrical experience I would say go for it
    But as a newbie i would steer you away from it One mistake and depleting the system would cost you the equivalent of the batteries that you put in there
    AGM batteries are a lot more forgiving also 6 V golf cart batteries comes out to a little bit more expensive although there are a lot more forgiving than AGM 12 V batteries they use a heavier lead plates that's the key to longevity over AGM .. lithium ion batteries use copper plates
    One of the things that you need to know is your current lead battery normally charges approximately 13.9 V lithium ion batteries require 14.4 to 14.6 V to be fully charged so if you try to charge it with your truck battery while you're driving down the road you will never be at full charge
    Your solar controller system will need to be able to push 14.6 to bring your lithium ion batteries to full charge yes your http unit will have that capacity but your truck alternator and the inverter in the trailer DOES NOT
    Note when you have your solar controller installed and if you use AGM
    batteries have the tech set your absorbing voltage at 14.3v or 14.6v
    Don't let those numbers scare you they are perfectly normal anyone that has any knowledge of Setting up our solar system will know the technical parameters of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so confused!!!!! I get it ... it's just that they make lithium sound like the be all end all for batteries.

      Delete
  11. One really important technical question 👉 what size solar panels are you going to use and how many

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I wrote it down. I'll check my notes.

      Delete
  12. Nancy you should check out a blog name " love your RV" . His name is Ray and he does a lot of testing on Solar and lithium . He is way above my pay grade but still a lot of great information on all kind of rving things . He is Canadain and in fact his is in southern Cal. at this time . Just watching his u tubes and reading his blog will show you a lot . I learned what was wrong with my RV water heater just from his blog. Saved me big bucks. No he is not as interesting as you but his life does seem to run smoother . Good luck . I know you have Bill there and I follow him and Patty and he sounds like he knows what he is doing . Vern in Boise .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look him up. There are so many ways to go ... and a lot to learn. Thank you Vernon!!

      Delete
  13. I am very impressed with you on your adventure Nancy. It's wonderful that you have had so much helpful advice.
    I'm amazed that you are travelling with Jonathon. He's cute, pups too. We loved our desert adventures. Loree, friend of Patsy and Bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loree! I'm very lucky to have met Patsy and Bill. They have helped me out a lot over the past year. It's been fun to camp out with them!!

      Delete