Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Boondocking .... So Much To Learn!

Miss Penny came to say goodbye as I packed up in Yuma and headed off into the wild blue yonder, about which I know little.  It's a whole new adventure, this dry camping stuff!! 


I'm sure all of you have seen this vista before.  What no one told me was the highway repair leaving Yuma.  Those concrete barriers are the pits, especially when you are trying to talk on the phone to the solar people.   

The alert that my propane tank was completely empty didn't help.  Yikes ... is it leaking?  Did I not turn something off?   A second check said it was fine.  Please just let me get there in one piece!!


I pulled in to LaPosa South and called Patsy and Bill for directions.  But first ... I needed to pay my $40 for two weeks and dump my tanks.  Gosh, there were 13 rigs ahead of me.  At long last we were headed to their parking site.  So here I am folks ... parked in Quartzsite to learn the ins and outs of boondocking.  

With my old rig, it was so easy.  When your batteries got low, you just hit the generator button.  Instant power.  This will be much different.


Thankfully I'm parked not far from Patsy and Bill's rig.  They have been basically boondocking forever.  Who better to give me the scoop?  


Knowing I have no solar, just my generator, Bill loaned me his two portable panels to help keep my batteries up.  That was an easy hookup.  And oh yes, one pull and the generator started for him.  Me ... it always takes five or six pulls.  Obviously I don't have the magic touch!!  Depending on the price, something like this will help, even if I get solar on the rig.  


Cooper got to meet Mr. Gibbs, who wanted to run and play.  Cooper, not so much, since he's so much older.  This Gibbs ... he's the bees knees!  You cannot help but fall in love with this wiggle butt.


We talked the afternoon away until Patsy appeared out of her rig with a bag she handed to me.  Boy did we have a big laugh.  It's a BINGO game, complete with a roll cage, she found for me at a yard sale!!!  Now we have to play!!!


You will probably see lots of Gibbs pictures.  He's even cuter in person and you can't help but photograph him.  

We talked solar for most of the afternoon while the cool wind blew all around us.  It's not near as crowded as I suspected.  The La Paz Valley site where I have stayed before with Patty and Dan ... I saw maybe two rigs from the road.  


About the time the sun went down, I started the generator in order to microwave my dinner.  I thought the generator was going to explode!!  Yowey that was crazy!  I turned the microwave off and ate my macaroni cold.  Next time I'll use the stove.  I'm trying to be ridiculously conservative with both gas and electric to see just how many days I can go without power.


So as the sun set over the mountains, I set up Jonathan in his cage, hoping the furnace will not kill the batteries before morning, when I'll turn the generator back on for a bit.  


I'm hoping and praying the Blue Flame heater will be available in a few days and the temperatures warm up.  Otherwise, I'm going to be sleeping with a bird under the covers!!  

Surprise ... this morning my batteries are good!  I have a cheap little battery flashlight with a hangar on it that works perfectly so I don't trip over Cooper.  A couple of these for morning darkness and I'll be able to use even less electricity!!



6 comments:

  1. Wow, you sure have a secluded spot there! Hopefully everything goes well, and you get the heater you are looking for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite as secluded as it looks. Some guy pulled in almost next to me yesterday. Why do people do that??

      Delete
  2. We have a 120 Watt 'Go Power' portable solar panel. It has its own controller so you don't over charge your batteries, and I got a long cord so I can easily mover it with the sun, or I can park in the shade and move it out into the sun. Works for us, although I either start the engine or run the generator for as short of time as possible when needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like these portable panels. I may just have to get one as a backup.

      Delete
  3. What better person to ask about used solar panels and I'll leave it at that.
    Camping show quartsite Should be opening up but technically it starts January 22 to the 30th so don't think you're alone you'll be rubbing elbows pretty soon
    if you go to Walmart pick up one of their LED camping lanterns it has three settings takes about 4D batteries it'll put out way more light than you'll ever need
    At the same time pick up a light that they call a puck lights looks like a silver hockey puck takes three AAA batteries they also put out a lot of like they're great for your nightstand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!!! I will definitely be getting a couple of extra lights for the rig, although everything in here is LED and 12 volt. I'm learning ... slowly, but learning.

      Delete