Monday, May 7, 2018

GUARANTEED!!!

Things that are guaranteed to last a lifetime, probably won't.  That's one life lesson I've learned again and again.  Just when you need it, it doesn't work.  That's how my morning began after sleeping in my wonderful soft bed!  

I didn't get as much space as I really wanted, nor as much sleep, but it was definitely better than the floor or the couch!!  I slept in until 4:47.  As soon as I stood up, it dawned on me the sprinklers had not come on for a couple of days.  I grabbed my trusty GUARANTEED-to-work flashlight and went outside to check the control box.

The light flickered twice before going dark.  Luckily, they came in a 3-pack.  I had two more chances to light up the world.  Number three worked.  
The sprinklers did not.  Two more geysers meant another trip to Home Depot and a reminder of why I really need a man around the house.  Two of the packages I picked up from the box with the correct description of what I wanted, were NOT what I wanted.  I didn't notice until I got home.  I need half patterns, not full patterns.  
While there I figured to get a mailbox.  Online, it said this store had four to choose from.  In the store however there was only one locking box.  I know better than to read the side of the box and believe it.  It said "can be mounted on a post".  

This is not my bailiwick.  I called for an Associate who I'm pretty sure knew less than me, but I'm desperate for a mailbox.
He insisted this was the "post" required.  I was thinking more 4x4 redwood.  $187 dollars later, I left with both.  After reading all the instructions, this will work, but must be the correct height or the Post Office won't deliver.  Like they ever "deliver" anyway.  No matter, I'm excited to get it in the ground.

It's not going to be very far in the ground, only about twelve inches.  That just doesn't sound like enough, so my idea is to make the hole deeper, dump in half the quickrete with a quick stir, then set the post and use the rest of the cement.  Sound reasonable?  I have my doubts.  

If this turns out anything like my cooking, I'm in trouble.  Maybe the post will slip OVER a 4x4.  I'm going to measure.  That would be a MUCH better solution, GUARANTEED.
With my stack of returnables on the counter, I decided dinner would be fresh salmon.  At least it was fresh when I put it in the freezer.  It was cooking away beautifully when the door bell rang.  No one comes to my door, so I was suspicious.  The dogs went crazy!!

There stood four kids selling tickets for something.  It's usually for school stuff and I always buy.  This time it was for the political campaign of their Aunt's sister's husband's second cousin, or something like that.  How could I turn them down?  I bought ONE ten dollar raffle ticket, GUARANTEED to win a 20-gauge shotgun.  Did I mention he was running for School Superintendent?

WAIT!!  My salmon!!!!!  I rushed into the kitchen to find it rather on the burnt side.  I love crusty cooked salmon, but this was a tad overdone.  Oh well ... at least the middle was edible!
I finished sewing the last few squares of this quilt ... another one guaranteed to make you go blind.  I'm hoping Joanna will check it out and let me know if any squares need to be moved BEFORE I stitch it together.  I actually did find one error already.  
Early this morning I'm heading out for a short run.  My hips have been bothering me, actually keeping me awake at night.  I'm hoping exercise versus sitting on the couch all day, will help loosen things up.  I'm thinking sciatica?  In which case you are NOT supposed to run, but it seemed to help yesterday, so I'm hitting the road again.  It should also help mitigate those pieces of key lime pie I ate, GUARANTEED!!




12 comments:

  1. Guaranteed, that your salmon tasted good in the middle, at least you got some of it eaten. Good luck with the mail box and mail delivery.
    Walking a few miles a day should help you hips, works great for me, no more running with degenerating discs in my back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would help if there was something interesting to look at when I walked. It's the same neighborhood I've traveled hundreds of times when race training. I think that's what makes it rather boring. I'm trying to think of ways to spice it up!

      Delete
  2. Nancy. First off, you write a super blog. Witty and funny. Your quilt. Love it, but I found 2 mistakes. from the left the second row at the bottom. and the sixth row. bottom three are going the same way and doesn't look like they should. Word of warring, even if you like the look of a basket quilt..........never start one. my mistake. 120 baskets , just when you think you have them all finished , there is always 8, 16 or more to go......the pattern is called " the love of baskets", I have changed it to "my bloody baskets"
    Barb Montreal Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Barb ... that's funny! Thank you for finding my mistakes. The last time I had to take apart a small piece after it was completely sewn together. I'll be sure and stay away from anything with the word Basket in the title!

      Delete
  3. Haha thanks for the shout out. Looks like Barb beat me to it though. Pretty sure I see the same 2. Both in the 2nd row from the bottom. Second from the left and the far right. Good luck with the home maintenance projects.
    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanna .. I knew you would find them. I actually thought there was only ONE mistake. I really appreciate your and Barb's good eyes!!!

      Delete
  4. There not mistakes. there planned that way,,, to test anonymous.

    But I do you have a good recipe for you,, and no mistakes they're great
    https://www.spendwithpennies.com/instant-pot-ribs/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have told people that on occasion! LOL Too funny.
      Looks like a yummy recipe. Next shopping trip, I'll pick up some ribs for my instant pot. That's something I haven't tried yet.

      Delete
  5. We don't worry about the Guaranteed For Life Brands we just get the Eight Pack with Batteries included for Ten Dollars right before Christmas. Strange but we haven't changed the Batteries in years.
    Luckily if you haven't used those sprinkler heads Home Depot will refund you so you can get the proper ones.
    If you are getting pain in your Hips or Knees chances are your Feet are not pointing straight forward when Walking or Running. Straighten up your act and you will avoid painful Surgeries and Therapy.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how those cheap brand flashlights seem to last forever!
      I'll check out my form next time I run. I don't think I ever paid attention to that.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a lot of Guarantees in that post......so I hope at least one of them hits the mark for you!
    Bill found one of those flashlights this spring and I found one in Quartzsite last winter and they both work The key is don't pay for them, apparently! :)
    The quilt looks fine to me, although I had to lay down after looking at it (haha) and your mailbox will be wonderful. Crusted salmon is the way I would love salmon and I'm sure it was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's me Patsy .... I should look at that quilt before I go to bed. I might sleep better!!

      Delete