Friday, November 5, 2021

How To Change A Water Filter

When in doubt, just Google it.  There are You-Tube videos that show you how to do everything, so when it came time to change the water filter under my kitchen sink, I just looked up the directions.  That's not always a successful proposition in my house however.

I've actually had the filters for going on five years, but never had the nerve to give it a shot.  You SHOULD change them every year.  I might spend a fortune on a sewing machine, but a plumber?  Nah ..... I can do it!!

I only found written instructions, but it can't be that hard, right?  I let the water out as it said, and even found the water shut off valve, although I wasn't positive about that one.  Wait five minutes it said.

I waited ten until it depressurized.  Somehow I wasn't too sure about that step either.  Then it said to twist the filter off counter-clockwise, but it wouldn't turn that way.  Clockwise it was.

Water came shooting out in a huge waterfall!!!!  YIKES!!  I was supposed to get a little water on the o-rings for easy installation.  No problem, the filter and I were soaked in seconds.  Luckily I got the new one installed in record time, and cleaned up the mess.


That's when I read just a little further.  There are TWO filters to change.  Big sigh ... I really don't want to do this again.  This time I grabbed a large bowl to put underneath.  Too bad there were no directions on how to depressurize the system.  

I pulled the second filter out and Niagara Falls ensued.  I couldn't even see where to plug in the new one.  Finally it was DONE!!  YAHOO!!

I looked on the floor and there sat another filter with the new little red cap.  OH GOOD GRIEF!!  I replaced the old one with the old one from the other side!!  $%$#@^%#$   I have to go through this all over again!!

Finally done and only half my kitchen flooded, I double checked to be sure I had the new filters in by hefting the old ones.  I think I got it right this time.  Here's my pile of soak-up-the-mess towels, not counting the two bath towel in the sink.  Seriously, this is MAN'S work.  Next time I'll call the plumber.


I went back to embroidery to make me feel better, since I've finally gotten the hang of it.  For every step, there is a color change and thread number.


Lucky for me, when I bought the machine, they gave me 100 spools of thread for free.  Not really, as you can imagine.  There's about $500 worth here and I've no doubt they increased the price of the machine $800 to make up for it.


Surprisingly, for the most part, I have every thread color required, although sometimes I have to just guess, kind of like when I replaced that filter.  At least here it always comes out beautiful.  


I ended the day at an Elks Lodge meeting.  I passed on the steak and green beans this time and opted for leftover chicken salad and crackers.  Thankfully the meeting was short and sweet, meaning I now have four whole days off to recover from working the Patch.  

The hardest part of all?  Not eating all that leftover Halloween candy.  Today I guess I have to head to the store.  I only seem to have Cooper food left in the freezer, along with five slices of bread and a little cheddar cheese.  Me thinks I hear a grilled cheese calling my name!


12 comments:

  1. You continue to amaze me with all that you do on your own. So, you got a few towels wet, you did it all by yourself!! ♥
    Your embroidery put my 24 year old cross stitch project to shame, what a neat machine! I absolutely love the quail, my favourite Arizona feathered critter. You deserve the break after the Patch for sure. Grilled cheese, yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the machine do my embroidery because I can't do cross stitch worth a darn. I've started five and never finished a single one.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on changing the water filter! Love what your machine can do! I love the quail the best too but all the others I've seen are amazing! Enjoy your break, even though I don't see you sitting for long! LOL. Yep, grilled cheese sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly enjoying holding the couch down, but you are right, it won't last for long.

      Delete
  3. 🤦‍♀️ You depressurize it by turning your faucet on. 🤿 That’s OK you needed to do the laundry anyways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have the faucet on for about 15 minutes, but nothing ever happened. I'll remember that next time for sure! Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. Next time, hopefully, someone else will own the house! And since you live alone, and only there about 5-6 months per year, I think 4-6 years is OK for changing that type of filter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The filters were pretty heavy, so I imagine it was past time, however the water didn't taste bad at all. Glad I got up the nerve to do it.

      Delete
  5. Goodness. I don't even know how to put gas in my car. Now I'm craving a grilled cheese sandwich. Elva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Elva!!! That's because you are a smart cookie and learned to let the men do it for you!!!

      Delete
  6. You should start a new game.... Guess what state you are on based on the pictures you post. To me, it looks like you are into the C's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea!!! I'll have to mix them up so you don't have the beginning letter!!! LOL

      Delete