Tuesday, October 25, 2022

When Grass Is Not Green .....

As I sit at the kitchen table and gaze out the window to complete darkness, I ponder scraping all of the mud dauber wasp nests off the patio ceiling.  I'm not sure what possesses them to think that's a good spot, nor have I EVER seen them building said nests.  They just seem to appear out of nowhere.  That's where the long-handled RV scrubber comes in very handy.

It was Monday ... and I usually do nothing, trying to gather up all my extra strength for Tuesday Bingo.

I moseyed through 25 fox videos, trying to pay attention to the times.  They first arrive at 7:30 to 8:00, just after dark, then disappear for several hours.  They come back around 2:00 and again an hour before the sun comes up.  I could watch these guys all day, because ... well I'm weird I guess.  I'm just fascinated with critters and their habits.

This little female is easy to identify.  Check out her not so pretty tail.  It appears to have been broken, poor baby.  


It's their behaviors that make you wonder.  No more eggs, but I threw out a couple pieces of Pupperoni snacks that Cooper refused to eat, thinking they would scarf them up.  Instead, this is what they did.  Pretty funny.  No wonder Coop didn't like them ... neither did Foxy.  

It seems these guys are not scavengers at all, but prefer REAL food.  I thought they probably ate all the dog food in the neighborhood, but apparently not.  Thankfully, even though I got a whiff of a skunk, none were on video.  It's possible the fox troop is keeping them at bay.


Also being Monday, it was gardener time.  Honestly, I try to hide when they come around.  That way I can keep my mouth shut!!  I've finally given up the ghost!  There's no way any of them are going to do a really good job.  At least now I'm not paying as much for mediocre work.  

He promised me when I left last time that he would make all the lawn GREEN.  He didn't say what SHADE of green, just green.  He said he would sow grass seeds and I would see.  Well yes, I saw.

This was a large bare spot.  I can't complain .... it is green.  However, it's no where near the same type of grass as the rest of the lawn.  It sticks out like a sore thumb.  BUT ... I'm keeping my thoughts to myself.  It's grass ... I should be grateful!!  I actually laughed when I saw it.  I've decided to let it go ... it looks just fine from a distance, as does the rest of the yard.  Perfect is unattainable!!


I went back in the house and began to work on this quilt.  The new roll of stick-um seems to be working, although it took some time to figure it out.  You trace the pattern upside down, then glue it to the BACK side of the fabric before turning it over and angrily try to peel off the backing before gluing to the quilt.  Yup this is fun!!! 


Once the pieces are in place, it will be sewed together, then more pieces glued on, including real pieces of leather and jewelry.  We shall see just how far I get!!


By the end of the day, I was tired ... mostly from not exercising enough me thinks.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  I've been trying to use up all those cans of stuff in the cupboard that are close to their pull date.  Be glad you are not invited to dinner at my house.  This was an epic fail.  It's an enchilada casserole.  Doesn't much look like it, eh?

Didn't much taste like it either.  Here's my tip of the day.  Do NOT use GREEN SAUCE in this casserole.  It may work just fine on individual chicken enchiladas, but this?  It was a big fat NO!!!  


Sadly, I now have an entire pan of this green sauce stuff I have to eat.  No, the foxes won't partake of it either!!  At least in Arizona the javelina would eat anything!!

I'm gearing up for Bingo today ... a good distraction from the lawn!  Now where are my rubber gloves for the critter cam?


16 comments:

  1. Perhaps no grass is good, you don’t have to mow it. Haha
    Many great dishes come from cooks not afraid of or out of necessity, tossing things into a pan and cooking it up. Perhaps some cheese or hot sauce, or salsa, etc might help to …to…..to give it the little something it’s missing. Or you could take it for the peasants at Bingo as a threat, er I mean snack. Haha

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT idea ... I could have used it last night as a THREAT!!! LOL. I'll try adding more cheese and salsa.

      Delete
  2. That's funny Deb! I know I'm going to love that new quilt! Your casserole looks good to us, sour cream and hot sauce! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does ketchup count? It's all I have at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Take this new quilt you are doing to a Texas Longhorn Pregame and you could sell it for a mint!

    The skunks are probably eating up the dog food around the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right about the skunks. I never did try feeding them ANYTHING!

      Delete
  4. I cracked up when you said the troop of foxes might be keeping the skunks away. Really! :O) Skunks go wherever they want.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much, but there's so much fox activity around and I haven't seen ANY skunks ... those little rascals!

      Delete
  5. I laughed at the fox rolling along the ground. Reminded me of Gibbs when he smells another critter.
    Another pretty quilt in the making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny? Cooper does the same thing. Whatever it was, they loved rolling in it.

      Delete
  6. I agree....more cheese, regular salsa, a little sour cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More cheese and salsa would cover up the original flavor, for sure!

      Delete
  7. About mud daubers. Are you near a body of water? Used to live close to a big stock tank (AKA pond) here in TX. Mud daubers would build over the place. Since I've moved to town, no mud daubers. I wonder how far they need to be from water. They do seem to actually carry mud. Amazing creatures. And VERY annoying on man made structures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY annoying to clean up constantly. Not much water around here, but a few irrigation ditches. They sure can make big houses in a hurry!

      Delete