Saturday, October 15, 2022

Pups, Parrots and Pondering

This right here ..... it's hard to do anything when you have this sweet boy snuggling up to you every morning.  He's doing just fine since he's back on his achey-all-over pills.  I thought about getting some of those for myself.  I seem to get creakier every day.  As much as I hate just sitting around, he gets my undivided attention for the first couple hours of the day.

I think it was Loree who asked about Jonathan.  He survived yet another trip from Tucson, although he seems to be a little worse for wear.  Jon is still tearing up his cage in the bottom corner, so he must still feel pretty good at 48 years old.  

I'm been putting off his toenie trim ... those claws grow like dandelions and must be cut off about once a month.  It's a wild dance as I hold him on my finger while sneaking up with the big clippers, trying not to get bit.  Believe me, he can bite like a tiger and boy does it HURT!!  I can usually get it done over three days.  

Parrots are smart and they have a great memory.  When he was young, I had to wrap him in a towel and give him shots in the belly twice a day.  It's amazing that he survived that illness not once, but TWICE.  Any time you move toward him with your hands, he's on the fight.  Can't blame him one bit.  My goal for today is to get two more clipped without any blood ... MINE of course.

Fall has finally arrived as I donned a jacket for coffee-on-the-patio.  Fog rolled into my back yard, reminding me I haven't gotten any pumpkins for the onslaught of kids.  Not really ... I think trick or treating has gone the way of the dinosaurs.  I just finally threw out the candy from two years ago.  It will be interesting to see if anyone shows up this year.

I'm so happy to find that Foxy was back again last night.  It just amazes me they can climb over my six foot tall fence every night.  I may have to put an egg or two down by the gopher holes to entice them into having steak for dinner.


I did notice a problem with my critter cam.  They only recommend a certain type of battery, not alkaline, which I'm out of.  With fuel so expensive, and as much as I hate it, I'm back to ordering everything from Amazon.  You do have to check your prices first, but I usually get delivery the next day (or maybe two days) at their expense.  

Printer ink is another problem since it tends to dry out quickly.  Before leaving, I put mine in the fridge, so it lasts longer.  This time it was empty, so again, I ordered it on Amazon and got a lower price than in town.  Better to save my diesel for quilting exploration ... and even FABRIC can be ordered online ... although I prefer to support my local store.

One down, five to go?  


This is my latest find on Amazon.  It's so hard to see when hand sewing the binding on these quilts.  I have only been able to work when the light comes through a specific window.  Just hang this baby around your neck (it's very comfortable) and you can adjust the lights to whatever angle you want.  


I can now sew twice as fast as previously because I can actually see what I'm doing.  I'm thinking they will also be a boon for getting cactus spines out of your fingers.


Here's my time saving hint of the day, and of course it involves CAKE!!  I used a box mix, adding more chocolate to it along with two tablespoons of mayo (a tip from a professional baker), before baking in four 5 inch pans.  When done (and still pretty warm) I wrap the layers in plastic wrap, then in foil and stick them in the freezer.  

When I get a hankering for cake, I just bring out one layer, slice it in half and stack it up with lots of frosting.  VOILA ... let them eat cake!!!!  This one is from 3 months ago and it's amazing just how fresh it is.  Since this is only 5 inches across, it's perfect for me.  Moist and delicious!!  And I've got THREE MORE IN THE FREEZER!!  Woohoo!


I made up my list and am checking it twice.  I'm pondering a trip to the quilt store (oh darn) to pick up the last of the fabric from that block-of-the-month quilt.  I'll take the Jeep and get fuel along the way, hoping it doesn't leave me alongside the road somewhere.  I'm always nervous about the batteries upon my return.  

And NOW ... it's time to check the critter cam!!


9 comments:

  1. Gophers remind me of Church Camp, yes, Church Camp, outside of Santa Cruz. We would be headed to a "class" and see the grounds keeper sitting on a chair with his shotgun out in the middle of the huge lawn. About 1/3 of the way through class we hear the BAM! We would take bets on if he got him or not...he got him just about every time. (Hint: he would run water into a couple of the other holes to force him out that particular hole.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is crazy!!! I can't believe the church would let him do that!!

      Delete
  2. I don't have gophers but plent of moles to track up my yard. I put my ink in a plastic bag with a damp piece of paper before putting in the fridge to keep it moist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying it Doug! I just put a piece of tape over the end. I bet your idea works better!

      Delete
  3. After we got rid of our prairie dogs the ground squirrels moved in. Not nearly the numbers the P. dogs were at however so we just live with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prairie dogs?? Oh yeah, I bet they can make big holes! We used to have ground squirrels on the ranch, along with jackrabbits, but the Hmong people took care of them in a matter of months.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the picture of Jonathan.
    Can't believe how old he is. It takes me several days to trim my cat Lilly's nails. Oh the looks she can give me. Your quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loree, it's the same with Jon. I'm sure his growls are really bad words!!

      Delete
  5. So good to see Jonathan. He is a proud parrot. That Cooper is so darned cute. Gibbs loves to just cuddle on us too. I'm happy when i don't have to be somewhere so i can oblige.

    ReplyDelete