Saturday, October 8, 2022

A Rough Day

 It was a cold gray day in the morning light of Arizona.  Storms coming up from Mexico have deposited inch after inch of water, soaking the desert even more.  It's an epic year for green cactus and palo verde trees.  It's also been an epic year to jump out of your skin when lightning cracks right over your head.


It was a sign of things to come.  My "kid" is usually doing this in the mornings.  I know, another doggie video, but he's so darn cute at it!!


On this morning however, he looked like this on the couch.  I instantly knew something was wrong from the look on his face.  He had the most pained expression I've ever seen.  My mind instantly goes to "what did he eat that was bad" or "what stung him".  

When he didn't want to walk down the steps and refused food, I instantly hit my phone looking for a Vet.  There are lots of them around here, but it's very hard to get in the door.  Most do not handle emergency situations.  Lucky for me someone said try Civano Animal Hospital and Emergency Center.  They said to come right in.

You know how sometimes you can tell when you walk in the door if this is a good place?  It was a good place.  I handed him over for X-rays and blood work.  Within 30 minutes the Vet was back.  

Like all us "old folks" (Cooper is 12 years old), he has been on basically an aspirin a day for aches and pain.  Mostly because he hurt his back ... you probably remember me sleeping on the floor for a week.  Well BAD MOM ran out of his pills and the California Vet wouldn't refill it without coming in to the office.  I didn't think it was a big deal, but it was.


X-rays showed his back acting up again, and with no pills, he was in enough pain to make him not eat and not be himself at all.  SO ... we now have pills and will curtail the ball playing for a couple of days.  This beautiful rainbow on the way home brought about a big sigh of relief.

The downside is I won't be buying any fabric for the next 12 months.  No one ever said emergency pet care was cheap.  It's okay though, cuz he's worth it.


Luckily I was able to leave him long enough to partake of another fabulous dinner from Miss Patty.  She made her Mexican Chicken Soup for me, which hit the spot.  The rest of the evening was spent watching Cooper sleep.  I know boring .... but Mom's a happy camper.

In the meantime, this is the only critter found on the game camera.  They are so darn fast!!!  


It's my last pack-it-up day, so I'll be busy trying to fit everything into the truck.  I'm going to miss all my backyard critters ... except the bats ... I'm not going to miss the bats ... or the scorpions ... or the spiders!!  I'll miss everything else though.  


20 comments:

  1. Hoping Cooper is back to his old self soon. Safe travels back to California. Looking forward to seeing you this winter. We are two weeks away from leaving the Ridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That two weeks will fly by!! Cooper is better and Mom is happy. Will definitely see you in Q.

      Delete
  2. Get well, Cooper!

    "No one ever said emergency pet care was cheap." I have had good luck with vets in rural areas charging reasonable fees, compared to metro areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually are quite reasonable around here, except for emergency care. It's ok ... he's worth it.

      Delete
  3. what medication did they prescribe? My vet only suggested cosequin which doesn't do anything for the pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gets Carprofen or Carprovet, same as rymadil. Works great for him.

      Delete
  4. With Bubba we use to give him a baby asprin. The vet he had at the time said that a baby asprin would be just fine for him...he weighed 25 pounds. Cooper is probably 15 pounds or so, perhaps a half of a baby asprin would do him. Ask your vet (who might not want to answer that question).

    Was out with Indy two nights ago and saw about 3-4 bats flying around...did not know we had any here. Figured they were probably Evening Bats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will ask. He weighs 13 pounds, so baby aspirin might work just fine.

      Delete
  5. Quick stop in Mexico 💊 might sound in order

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked for it last time, but they didn't have it. I'm going to ask for a different name and see if that works.

      Delete
  6. Hello, I am so far in my reading but when I saw your title I knew I had to read further. Glad to read you were able to get Cooper the help he needs and quickly.
    I am going to guess, from the packing it up line you are traveling, be safe. I would not miss any of those critters either. Hugs, Deb and Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's good now Deb. Yup heading out ... will see you in Q this winter.

      Delete
  7. I concur with everyone. So glad Cooper is doing better. You are not a 'bad Mom' in any way shape or form. It is easy to put things off when our sweet companions appear so healthy and happy.
    Can't wait to cross paths this winter. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you guys too. Looking forward to winter in the desert.

      Delete
  8. Glad Cooper is on the mend. Bats are actually good things, they eat an amazing amount of flying bugs. Safe travels!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually do a great job of cleaning up the flying things on my patio, like little vacuum cleaners. Then they disappear.

      Delete
  9. So glad that Cooper is okay. It's always scary when they are feeling sick and can't tell us what's wrong.
    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? If only they could talk!!! Thank you Loree.

      Delete
  10. Poor Coop. Hope he gets better soon so he he is back to his crazy, ball chasing self! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I get frustrated with the ball game, it's nice to hear that squeak now!!!

      Delete