Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Out Foxed Yet Again

 I absolutely love this time of year.  There's no drone from the air conditioning unit as dollar signs fly through my head.  Only the cool October air, which means I have to turn on Jon's heater.  It's a heat lamp (no light) for an aquarium, like what you would use to keep your snake warm.  For not emitting light, it sure draws a lot of power.  I can instantly tell when Jon's cold ... he shivers ... so it's time to turn it on.  

In the next couple of days, I'll be testing out how long the batteries in the rig will last when I have his heating pad plugged in.  Hopefully the result is "long enough".

I hate to admit it, but I've been outfoxed yet again ... completely skunked in the egg department.  Once again the egg has mysteriously disappeared.  Here's a closeup in-your-face kind of short video ... wait for it.


I've never EVER seen a fox in this country (even out on the ranch) in the daylight.  Here's a couple of cute pictures so you can see what they look like.  There's a dark black ribbon running down their tail which makes it easier to identify each one.


All I know is they are really cute and slink around like .... well, like a fox!  Not to be outfoxed, I noted the time on the last egg disappearance.  I was determined to see what had snatched the eggs.  I strategically located one right in front of the big window on the RV.  

At 7:20 I was sitting with my camera ready.  There was a bit of movement ... remember, it's pitch dark outside ... and wait ..... something just ran off.  Are you kidding me?  I switched on my flashlight for a quick look see.  YUP ... that was the tail of a fox.  He actually came out from under the RV, tried to snatch the egg and ran off into the corral in less than one second.

The camera has a 1 second delay which cannot be changed.  So THAT'S why I haven't been able to film them.  He dropped the egg and it broke, so I waited patiently for him to come back.  You cannot see these guys in the dark at all.  I guess I need my night vision goggles.  Too bad I don't have any.  


I watched the slight blurry movements in the dark as he lapped up the broken egg, eating the shell and all.  Maybe, just maybe, when he came back, the camera tripped.  I'll check it out this morning.

In the meantime, I've been trying to get this quilt finished up and off my wall.  As you can see, it takes up the entire space and then some.  I couldn't force myself to drive all the way to the quilt shop to find out whether or not to cut off those teeth you see on the right side.  I just whacked them off and carried on.  

I'm sewing the strips together, then will sew the entire thing together, add two borders and I'll be done.


Dinner was quick, easy and vegetarian.  I think that's a first in this house, only because I didn't have any meat thawed out.  Really, it doesn't matter WHAT you put sweet corn on, it's GOOD!!


I only had one OH CRAP incident that of course involved the Government.  Who else would steal from you!  I decided I would't pay for that post office box any more and have gone paperless on absolutely everything.  That's pretty hard for an accountant to do.  I even talked to the guy at the post office who said I had until the 10th of November to decide.

What do I get yesterday in my email box?  The #$&@#$# post office charged my credit card $400 ... yes my friends ... $400 for one year.  I tried to get it reversed or refunded, but they refused.  The credit card company was no help.  So now I'm paying this ridiculous amount to get maybe one or two letters and a boxful of advertising crap.  Nancy is NOT a happy camper!!!  I'm not going to give up ... I'm determined to get a refund!

In other news ..... IT'S BINGO NIGHT!!!!!  And I'm supposed to bring some chicken pot pie soup for a friend who sends me these crazy recipes.  THIS is going to be interesting, to say the least!!



15 comments:

  1. I have my PO Box done online, and in looking it over, there is a clickable box that says, "Close / Request Refund". If you close out the PO Box now, you 'should' at least get a refund as follows: "Within the first three months, 75% of the payment is refunded." (that is for a full year payments) I agree though, you should not have been debited until November, so keep fighting if you want the full $400 back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me mad when they do that stuff without any warning whatsoever.

      Delete
  2. That is quite a lot of $$ for mail forwarding and I'm sure a mail forwarding company in your state will be less money and more convenient to use as you are in control. As to the fox, perhaps more eggs in a row?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their mail forwarding is even MORE ... which is why I got the box. And you are right about the fox ... more eggs!!

      Delete
  3. Our foxes are red tailed but just as sly. What if you put the egg in something that he would have work at getting it? Secure it a short distance from the camera so it would trigger while the fox is working at it. Something like cardboard maybe, he can rip it but with some work.
    Keep fighting, that is a ridiculous amount of money for a post box, although ours increased last spring as well. Marlene has a good point, maybe a different type of mail receiver (mail forwarding service vs post office) is the way to go.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to check out some other mail services. At least they would through away all that junk mail I get!

      Delete
  4. Post office ripoff. Hope Dave's info helps. Love the fox. Too smart for you. I'm sure Deb's idea will help. Have fun at Bingo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup Deb's idea is a good one. Those fox are sly guys!

      Delete
  5. Yikes, that's a lot of $$ for a post office box. Ours in Durham went from 0$ our first year to around $130 the second year when we went to renew. That's when they realized we were out of town. So! We got our mailbox at the road and get it delivered PLUS get it free. :)
    Like Deb's above, our foxes mostly have red bushy tails.
    I like their suggestions above to catch him on video sneaking the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping very soon I won't need the post office at all!! That's my plan anyway. Your fox are much prettier than ours, for sure. But I do enjoy watching them.

      Delete
  6. So then, the point of this post is that the USPS is the ultimate fox?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, you have been out fixed again! If you know the direction the fox comes in move the camera so you catch it's movements a little sooner but not too far away that you don't get a good video. I took like Deb's idea of making it more challenging for the fox to get the egg.

      Delete
    2. I like her idea too. Outfoxing the fox is kind of difficult!

      Delete