Sunday, October 30, 2022

EXPERIMENT .....

 Are you ready for some Halloween?  I rather imagine it will begin tonight, since ACTUAL Halloween is on Monday, a school night.  I can't believe October has slipped away so fast.  I have always been a big fan of Halloween, dressing up in crazy outfits and convincing my fellow workers to do the same.  

This particular year I was the Dead Bride, with worms coming out of my eye, glued to my face of course.  There was Dracula Bride, Miss Piggy Bride, Harley Bride ... the list goes on.  That's my Boss Steve on the far right who got a big kick out of all of this.  We are downstairs in the "wedding" room where he officiated MANY real weddings.  Steve now works with me at the Elks Lodge.


I guess I'm a little too old for that now, as my favorite pastime has become sitting on the couch with Cooper.


Oh wait ..... another fox video!!!  I'm trying to cut back, but this one is fascinating.  You'll have to watch until the end.  I really think I should box him up and take him to Arizona with me!!  He would certainly have plenty to eat around there!!  This .....  THIS is why there are no critters invading my house here!!


So yesterday was EXPERIMENT day.  Let it be known I won't be doing THAT again!  These groceries ... just this little bit here ... came to a heart stopping $74.00.  That block of cheese?  $7.29.  The eggs?  $5.49.  I guess it's back to the discount stores for me!

I didn't even want to know what the Pepsi cost.  I'll make it last a couple of months at the current prices.


Fried chicken!!  That was my experiment for the day ... "the most crispiest chicken you've ever eaten" was the claim.  Luckily I already had the chicken or this would have cost me over $100.  

Here's the secret.  Marinate the chicken for at least three hours in a bag of buttermilk (which I've done before) and pickle juice.  Yes really!  The problem that arose may be because I'm not a dill fan and it called for dill pickle juice.  I used Sweet Gherkin juice.  

Next, I mixed up the dry ... then mixed up the wet.  Dry - wet - dry (what a mess THAT made) and on to a rack for five minutes.  That actually took fifteen minutes since I got distracted by a phone call.


As I turned on the gas stove, I had a fleeting thought of flames and oil not being in my wheelhouse together.  This may not have been such a good idea after all.  I was extra careful, using a candy thermometer to be sure I didn't overheat the oil.  In went the first piece.  Hmmm this is working out okay ..... so far.


I fried each piece separately for the required five minutes before taking them out and setting on a wire rack to cool.  Hey .... these look pretty tasty as my mouth began to water.  I tapped them to hear a nice crunchy sound.  

Okay, they do look a little dark, but really, they are not burned.  My advice is to leave out the smoked paprika.  That is what gives it the too-done look.  It also gives it a terrible flavor.  AND they forgot the salt!!  Chicken needs salt.  My first bite, though crunchy, left much to be desired.  

Nice tender chicken and nice crunchy crust, but honestly, I'll stick with Colonel Sanders for flavor.  


The sad part is now my kitchen smells HORRIBLY of frying oil.  Ugh ... I spent all that time making my house smell "normal" and now it smells like greasy oil.  I won't be trying this again any time soon.  I'm thinking if I chop it up for a salad and smother it in dressing, it will be just fine.  So much for experimenting.

On another front, I haven't heard one bit of loud music, nor seen ANY cars lining the road.  I'm beginning to wonder what happened to the wedding .......







16 comments:

  1. Of all the years working in the Restaurant, the WORSE cooking smell was when I worked the Lodi Grape Festival two times at the church chicken booth. SO MUCH oil fumes in the air, in your lungs, on your clothes, on your glasses. Should have brought a second pair of Levis to wear for the second day, but NOOOO. I think that pair of pants could stand all by themselves when I got home the next evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird how that hot oil can be so pervasive!

      Delete
  2. Take some coffee beans you can substitute for ground coffee put them in a small pan with a quarter of an inch of water bring it to a simmer for about five minutes they’ll get the oil smell
    Although your house will smell like a coffee shop But I guess that’s better than the oil

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an old saying in engineering. Keep it simple, Stupid. Stupid meaning you or me. Simple things are best and less costly and easier to do. :O) Complicated stuff isn't usually better than simple stuff. With my corn problem, that's easy as there's very few things I can eat or drink and I have to avoid most everything. Of course, this has likely made me much healthier as I can't eat most modern day snacks or most modern day anything. :O) The main problem with it besides the full body itch is I can't be very sociable, no eating out or at anyone's house.
    Bobseyes.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right ... simple is better I think. We were made to be able to adapt, but not eating out would be tough for me.

      Delete
  4. Honey, soya sauce, crushed pecans, cornflakes. Makes the best crunch chicken.
    Maybe the party takes a while to get going, you know, day 1 is meet and greet and day 2 is.....etc. Be patient, the music will start, the cars will come and the neighbour will complain. It's all good!!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last line ..... SO true! I'll try your recipe next time.

      Delete
  5. Fried chicken is something I now, in my old age, just leave to the pros. My grandmother was a pro. My mother almost was, but I never have been.So I'm glad you tried this and gave a good report....that is, not worth the muss and fuss. Once again, I can just leave it be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ... and I'm never making fried chicken again! My mom was good at it, but she would fry it, then put it in the oven for 45 minutes ... super tender.

      Delete
  6. Ugh, I do not like the overpowering smell of vegetable oil. But I do like a good deep fried fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree ... or peanut oil, which this was. But oh the crispy chicken and fish!!

      Delete
  7. Nothing better than fried chicken. My mom
    used to whip out her black cast iron pan.... wash chicken,
    pat dry.... throw some flour in a paper bag with seasons...in
    went the chicken ..... shake, shake... fry in Crisco and
    there you have it.... delicious and crunchy.
    Mine never tastes as good as hers.
    Colonel Sanders always good.
    We have foxes too. They don’t seem to bother the horses.
    I think they are filling up on the neighbors cat food.
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried putting out a little cat and dog food, just to see if they ate it. They declined. Seems the fox are after fresher meat.

      Delete