Friday, October 21, 2022

Late Night Blues

I'm singing the blues this morning as I try to get my act together on the patio.  Coffee ... I need more COFFEE!!  It was a really late penguin suit night for me as 32 more people were initiated into the Elks Lodge.  I rather imagine I'm the only one who gets up at 4:30 am and goes to bed with the chickens.  This group ... they are the night hawks who carry on like there's no tomorrow.  

There was laughing and singing, teasing and fines given out just because you were there.  Thankfully none wafted my way because my wallet is empty at the moment.  It's all in good fun, but it makes for a late night and a very bleary eyed morning when my eyes pop open and I can't get back to sleep.  Add to that the 23 sneezes that erupt, scaring poor Cooper into the bedroom.

As I mentioned previously, I finally caught Foxy snatching the egg.  They are very wary these little guys, as the camera is in a new location on top of a large black feed tub.  Just like my horses, they can tell when one tiny thing is out of order.  Curiosity gets the best of him though .... wait for it ..... it's like candy he can't resist.  Check out that gorgeous fuzzy tail.


He knew the egg was there, but the smell of that dog toy was too much to resist.  Sadly, they never touched it, but they certainly did smell it a lot.  Then, with a click of his teeth, the egg disappears.


He (or maybe they) came back several times, not really looking for another egg, but to smell the dog toy.  I'll post a couple more videos tomorrow.

In the meantime, it was an absolutely gorgeous sunny day.  We are looking at highs in the 70's and lows in the 40's for the next week.  I think some of that cold snowy air from Canada is creeping down this way.


I spent the morning getting a quick haircut before trying to finish up that quilt.  No cigar on this day, I still have two borders left.  As I was packing up the pattern that I'm passing on to Ray and Cindy, they called to say I should definitely quilt it square by square.  I don't know, when they see the quilt, they may change their mind about making it, although they do love a challenge.

Cooper's morning walk ended up being a short one in the back yard.  I wasn't feeling it, but he's so darn happy to get outside, it's hard to say no.


Suddenly I heard it ... that lovely sound of tree rats cooing in the morning air.  Pigeons are a problem here.  There were so many empty houses in this area, they took a good hold in attics everywhere and multiplied like ... well rats.  My neighbor and I have been throwing tennis balls at them and shooting them with paint balls.  

When they put up their solar panels, the birds began nesting underneath them, requiring netting to installed.  Same for me ... I got netting strung around the entire outside so they can't get underneath the panels.  


Our neighbor to the East did not do the same.  At first there were just a few flying around.  Yesterday I saw 25 take flight from under the panels on his roof.  Pigeons carry lots of diseases.  I'm surprised he lets this continue.  However ... I suppose as long as they are on HIS house and not MINE!!


I'm running on about four hours of restless sleep, so I'll leave you with another gorgeous sunset.  We don't get these here very often, so I grab a chair and watch the show.


I should be off to hunt and gather a Costco chicken this morning, but to be honest, I'm pretty tired.  There was just too much revelry last night, but thank goodness, no pitchforks or torches.  Maybe I'll scrounge in my freezer for something else so Cooper and I can crash on the couch.  

Happy Friday everyone!!



13 comments:

  1. What you need is a couple of Hawks, male and female...them there Pigeons would be history in just a couple of years. (Hardly see any doves at Arny/Sandy's house since a pair moved in two years ago)

    Interesting how the animals seem to know that the camera is there and that they look at it so much. The Raccoons do the same with the cameras I have on the motorhome, but they move along very quickly because I have no food or water out for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so fun that you have raccoons. You never know what's roaming about. There are hawks here, but only at certain times a year.

      Delete
  2. That cold air from Canada comes from Alaska first. :) If you can find a plastic life size owl, put it on the roof to deter other birds from nesting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, I see. I never paid much attention to the weather before! The owl seems like a good idea. I'll see if I can find one.

      Delete
  3. I like how Foxy did a double-take when he saw the egg, as if to say, "Hey this is too easy. It must be a trap!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? They are pretty smart cookies! I've tried moving the camera around, but they notice it immediately and sometimes avoid it.

      Delete
  4. Love the curious foxes. Checked the toy pretty closely before taking the egg. Sounds like the Elks Club is for the young. What's the average age?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are on the Elks Lodge. I think the average age right now is 45-50.

      Delete
  5. 25 pigeons sounds like target practice to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessirree ... we've hit them with paint balls, but the problem is if you kill them, you have to climb up on the roof and get them off. It's a very steep roof!!

      Delete
  6. We have a plastic owl in our motorhome port, seems to help keep them out of there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky ... I'm getting one!!! Good to know it will work.

      Delete
  7. We are normally early up and early to bed people too. Because we don't like driving at night, that would be our excuse for not attending LOL. Pigeons are horrible creatures in my opinion! What a mess.

    ReplyDelete