Thursday, October 20, 2022

One Success .... Two Failures

If you looked to the right as you were driving by the row of houses, you might have looked through the dirty window pane into the dim light of the computer resting on the table ... to see someone going bonkers as they jumped up and down doing a little happy dance.  

Yup ... I caught the fox on video.  This is right after he broke the egg on the concrete, having been scared by the click of my camera as I sat stick still in the back of the RV.  I'm pretty sure there was not one, but at least two roaming around the yard.  Each video had them coming back again and again within just a few minutes, hoping to find one more egg.


He must have been bitten by the same thing that I was.  He's itchy in several of the TWENTY EIGHT videos the camera recorded.  I was in Seventh Heaven, watching every one of them.  


I'm conducting a little experiment.  It's interesting that the coyotes in Arizona actually love to play with dog toys.  So completely without his permission, I stole one of Cooper's toys and left it by the camera.  I'm curious to see if they pick it up.  

In the meantime I was actually able to sew this huge thing together.  Still not finished however, it needs two borders to be complete.  I'm beginning to wonder if it will fit on my quilting machine.  It will definitely be a winter quilt ... it weighs a ton!!


SUPRISE!!  My Halloween candy came right on time.  No, no it didn't.  It's actually a week late, but at least it got here.  This time it was packed with an ice pack.  The last time they gave me the entire box for free since it had melted.  Yeah, I ate it anyway because melted chocolate tastes almost as good.  I'm sort of hoping no one shows up to trick or treat so I'll have candy hidden in my freezer to snack on.


As the day passed, I decided it was time for lunch.  I thawed out a package of hamburger.  I would like to note, there is hamburger (ground fat and gristle) and there is HAMBURGER, actual ground beef.  Sadly, I got unlucky with the first kind.  If there's anything a cattle rancher hates, it's bad beef.  This was as bad as it gets.

I took half and made a new recipe of taco soup.  There's so much tomato in this recipe that it turned out very sour, not to mention the terrible bits of tough beef.  When you cook up hamburger and it stays in the exact same squiggly shape it was in the container, you know it's going to be bad.  I choked down a bowl full ..... it was terrible.  Maybe the fox will eat it??


The other half of the package was made into meatloaf for the freezer.  I absolutely love a big helping of meatloaf sandwich.  Oh my gosh ... this was absolutely worse than the soup.  Then it dawned on me.  I checked the package for the words GRASS FED.  It didn't say that, but that's exactly what it tasted like.  Tough, full of gristle ... an epic failure.  That's TWO cooking failures in one day.  I hate being wasteful, but I'm not sure I can tough it out this time.


At least the day ended on a nice note as I snuggled with Cooper on the couch.  Tonight is penguin night at the lodge.  Tuxedos are required to be worn by us out of shape old folks, for yet another late night for the chicken who wants to fall asleep when the sun goes down.  


Thanks for stopping by ... I'll be finishing up my cup of coffee on the patio this morning before finding something ELSE to eat today.


12 comments:

  1. Mr. Ed said put sugar in the tomato it will take the acid tartness out of it
    If you take your infrared / motion sensor driveway alarm You can use that to give you a heads up when the foxes are back
    When you hunt coyotes that’s the easiest way to know when they’re around
    Or sometimes a motion sensor light Set on sensitive will work
    At first it will be skittish but it’ll take about a week and they’ll get used to that light
    Why not order a wireless wi-Fi game cam from Amazon upload the app You can return it after 29 days And delete the app
    free is good remember👍☑️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sugar .... okay I'll try it! Wireless would be pretty nice. Come to think of it, that driveway sensor would sure be nice to use during the day ... for those guys I don't see at the water station in Az.

      Delete
  2. I try and buy most of my ground beef from Sam's only because I know the quality is going to be the same. But WOW, the price of even Ground Beef is just outrageous! The only thing that is still a good deal is the Sam's / Costco Rotisserie Chickens. I buy one each time and it makes a good 4-5 meals for us over the week to 10 days. Can't beat that for $5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess where I'm headed today?? Out to shoot a Costco chicken for dinner.

      Delete
  3. Hamburger from grass fed beef....I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Elva ... it was SO bad!!! No wonder it was on sale.

      Delete
  4. Dolly orders beef and steak from Omaha Steaks and my the patties are so much better than the regular burger patties. Enjoy the penguin party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wondered about their meat. Maybe I'll try it.

      Delete
  5. Your meatloaf does look delicious! We're not soup people, so can't comment on that one! LOL. You got a beautiful sunset though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a soup person either so I make it more like stew! LOL

      Delete
  6. That fox is sure a beauty! Great job getting him on video.

    ReplyDelete