Saturday, October 29, 2022

Well That Was Fun!!

There's nothing more fun than running around outside in your short jammies, screaming at your dog to COME HERE!!!  Those words are not in Cooper's vocabulary.  They never have been.  He's always been a runner at heart, but really never brave enough to chase a cat.

Today however, in the pitch black of darkness, he and I both spotted the shiny fox eyes at the same time.  It wasn't an I'm-going-to-kill-you race, he just wanted to know WHO was in his back yard.  I'm sure the neighbors appreciated all that screaming at 4:30.  Oh well, it just prepares them for the wedding dance music to begin tonight. 

The fox ran off and Cooper finally turned around to see where I was.  That's when I say something like OH NO ... and run the other direction.  Cooper follows every time.  Well that was fun!!  I'm awake now!

It was also a fun afternoon at the University.  I don't know how this little podunk town was selected as the site of the University of California, but it was, some years ago.  Every year they add more and more buildings until it's become a huge complex.  Bring your bicycle.  In years past, you could park in several different locations close to the buildings.  Now you are relegated to a huge parking lot and a half mile walk to get anywhere.

I did take note of this beautiful grass blowing in the breeze.  I was sure it would be pokey, like cactus, but it's soft as can be.  Anyone know what it is?  It stands about three feet tall.


The occasion was the gifting of all those quilts people have been making this last year.  I quilted six of them for the Guild and donated two of my own.  The group receiving them is called Guardian Scholars.  they are all first year students who are foster kids, now basically kicked out completely on their own.  I'm pretty sure they get absolutely everything paid for them, but they also have to work for it, as in get a job.  

The University is way out in the boonies, but provides lots of hiking trails, a lake full of Canadian geese at the moment, and many places to hang out.  Our group finally found parking spots and began the long hike to the building carrying about 100 pounds of quilts.  As you know, they can be heavy.


It took twice around the building before we ran into two young men who grabbed the bags from us and carried them to our appointed room.  How nice!!!  We laid them all out on the tables.  I'm guessing there were maybe 40 or more.  The one sitting on top of the orange one pictured here, is one of my own I donated.


There were many beautiful ones, and some not so pretty, but they are all warm and cozy.  One gal had to leave for a class, so she got to pick first.  Wasn't I surprised that she picked my blue and white striped one. She came back later and modeled it for us.  

They went around the room and asked everyone to introduce themselves and give a little info.  You know me, I said my name is Nancy and I'm addicted to fabric.  Since I'm not an actual member of the Quilt Guild, I was surprised to find that most of those quilters who came were actually former teachers.  

Come to find out, they also make up huge bags full of sheets, pillows, bandaids, blankets, toothbrushes, toothpaste ... everything the kids need since they bring absolutely nothing with them other than the clothes they have.  Now this is an organization I can get behind.  


The kids all stood up and told us about themselves too.  Interesting that most of them were psychology majors, along with a couple engineers and a cyber security major.  I almost jumped up and down, but kept my composure when the second quilt picked by the kid in the white jacket, was also mine.  Woohoo!  Note to self ... make more "manly" quilts and use minky for backing because it's so soft.  


This kid was so funny ... he picked the minky quilt.  He was SO excited to have a warm quilt to wear, he modeled it for everyone in the room.  As the kids get out of class, they will stop by and pick from the remaining quilts.  We saw about ten kids make their selection.  They were all so happy because they said it's cold here, so now they have something to wrap up in!!


Yup ... this was a REAL fun day.  I'm going to go through all my quilts and start stacking them up for next years donations.  

I spent the rest of the day watching the World Series, though I have no pony in that race.  Somehow it's just not as fun as it used to be.  Especially since the only way I could watch it was to add the local channels back on to my programming, increasing the cost to $90 a month for TV.  Oh well, its only money.

Today I'll see about fixing up that dog box.  In the morning light, I discovered that little fox had been marking my entire concrete walkway every ten feet!!!  Won't Cooper just LOVE that!!


13 comments:

  1. Oh Nancy, this post really touched my heart! Love the smiling faces. When I was working, Volunteers of America opened a facility for "aging out" foster kids. Our volunteers would raise $ and buy things for them, it was amazing. Sad to think that once the $ stops, so does the "love" for most of these kids. Glad they are getting some help here and education. Thank you for what you did and will do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true ... hard to believe they get kicked out when the money isn't coming in any more. This is a great organization to help out.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Shirley. This was a lovely read! You are so kind as are the other quilt makers. I'm glad you saw a couple of your quilts being chosen. ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made my whole week!!! I'll definitely be making more.

      Delete
  3. Have you tried getting Over-the-air TV with a digital antenna? Our antenna is in the attic and we are pulling in channels that are 40-50 miles away.

    Nice thing about those quilts...and thumbs up for your quilts being chosen so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried an antenna because the closest station is over 60 miles. Not sure anything would come in.

      Delete
  4. An extremely wonderful and generous gift you ladies are giving, not just the time, material and effort but the love and compassion that is sewn into each quilt.The pretty ones and the not pretty ones are all filled with the same love and kindness. What a wonderfully caring thing to do for those in such need.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really makes you appreciate what you have, that's for sure. These kids with nothing still try their hardest. This isn't just a community college ... it's a University with strict entry standards. It's nice to see them succeed by themselves.

      Delete
  5. Now that was a good day, and your addiction was of benefit to and enjoyment by others. Good going!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ... definitely an addiction, this fabric thing, but it has it's up sides too!

      Delete
  6. Good on you for donating those quilts. Having yours picked 1 and 2 had to make it all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun seeing where they go, rather than just donating and never knowing.

      Delete
  7. What a great idea for the kids.
    All who donated the beautiful quilts are very special people.

    ReplyDelete