Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Have Wings, Will fly

 There's one thing I miss when I'm in Commifornia. Yes, that's the latest name it has acquired thanks to the lovely governor who has now banned gas cars, lawnmowers, straws, trash bags, plastic and even certain kinds of makeup, along with certain clothing manufacturers.  At the moment, diesel is $6.40 a gallon and regular gas $6.00.  Honestly, I don't know how most people can afford it any more, since businesses cannot afford to give raises.  Instead they close up.  It's a sad state of affairs.

My mood only brightens when I see the morning sun come up.  Arizona promotes cloudy skies, which brings color like no other to the horizon.  On this morning however, there's lightning and thunder coming over the mountains.

I'm a little groggy ... I decided to go back into the main bedroom for the night.  Cooper was having none of it.  I've no idea why, but he went and sat in front of the spare bedroom door.  I figured he knew something I didn't, so we again slept in the not-so-comfortable bed, where he went right to sleep.  Weird.


I had to run some errands yesterday, but spent the morning watching this beauty having a little breakfast.  You can tell she's a tad bit heavier than the hummers that usually frequent the feeder.  In fact, the hummers were having a fit because they couldn't chase her off.


Her beak doesn't fit in the hole so well, but apparently her tongue does.  She (I'm guessing it's a she) hung out here for about an hour.  MUCH better to look at than the bats that steal the sugar water at night.


I actually got out before daylight and mowed the back yard.  Of course AFTERWARDS, I decided I should have left all those dandelions to soak up the weed killer I'm going to put on before I leave.  That brought out the quail in record numbers.  They love to eat the grass clippings and dig up the now visible bugs in the grass. 


I'm happy to report after checking the game camera, absolutely NOTHING came out at night to eat the seed I put out.  That's VERY good news.  Here's a beautiful male who chased off two others so he could have dibs on the corn.  


Here's a cute little female standing in front of a dandelion stem I missed.  I never said I was a GOOD lawn mower.  I counted almost twenty birds, but the slight movement of the door caused them all to flee over the fence.  If they have wings, they will fly away.  This was the only brave gal that stayed.


Before I mowed, I noticed this interesting creation.  It's a spider web that captured dewdrops overnight.  It's gone now, having been pecked to pieces by the quail.


Rain clouds coming in over the mountains brought a tad bit of rain with it last night, but the temperatures have remained in the 80's.  It was a perfect day!!


Finally I was off to pick up one more piece of backing material so I can quilt that last quilt before closing up my machine.  It's interesting to note how some shops work.  I was told I needed an additional 8 inches all around to allow for quilting, meaning more fabric and more expense.  She actually figured it at 5 yards.  I figured it at 4.  I guess you could say she was a good saleswoman.  I only bought 4 yards.

Next on my list was something for dinner.  Something that I could make last for at least two days.  I'm in the process of cleaning out the fridge and freezer, eating up everything I can.  Seems I did a good job of it because now I'm out of food.  Oh gee ... I don't have to cook!!

My phone GPS took me a little out of my way, but generally going the right direction.  I drove around that parking lot for ten minutes and never did find Panda Express.  Maybe Siri didn't understand my accent.

Another five miles definitely out of my way and I pulled in for some of that yummy orange chicken.  Here's what I discovered.  Yet again folks, we are being shortchanged.  You may think inflation is not affecting you, but it is.  

This container is 1/3 smaller (if not more) than the previous one.  It's barely as wide as this small salad sized paper plate.  There is probably also 1/3 less food at the same price as before.  Anyone remember fuel at $3.00 a gallon two years ago?  A time when restaurants were open and business thriving?


I try not to think about it much, but it's cutting into my adventure time.  That last trip to Tombstone cost me $60.00 in fuel alone.  I mean really ..... its cutting into my QUILTING money!!!  Just kidding ... that's what a good accountant does ... work magical ways to keep doing what she loves while still getting the bills paid.  I guess it's a good thing I didn't buy that horse after all.




14 comments:

  1. Don't forget they are banning natural gas appliances as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the gas stove ban only applies to new construction, restaurants and residences currently using gas ranges will not be affected as of yet. Buildings currently using gas will not be required to find an alternate heat source unless they move to a new build. Still, many restaurateurs remain concerned as local policymakers hone in on the fact that buildings emit more greenhouse gasses than cars in California. It has been noted that easy environmental fixes are minimal, and tackling future issues will require greater sacrifice going forward.

      Delete
    2. That's one I had not heard of yet! There's no way they can produce enough electricity for all of this without fossil fuels. I can't believe politicians cannot figure this out.

      Delete
  2. I just love watching Quail.

    Just got back from Sams Club. $3.02 a gallon for gas. $4.98 for the already cooked chicken. Another $100+ for the other nine items I got.....gee whizzzzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could sit and watch quail all day. That's a good fuel price. Probably not as cheap as it was two years ago, but still ... better than Calif.

      Delete
  3. Are you sure that's a hummingbird? Looks like a woodpecker to me. I think I've read that some woodpeckers like nectar too.....if I looked it up, I could probably tell you if that's the case, but I"m too lazy. Lovely bird shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith it's not a hummingbird. It's a cactus wren. I love these guys who sometimes tap on my fireplace chimney. Don't get to see very many around my neighborhood.

      Delete
  4. 2035 ban
    That’s 13 more years That only accounts for the new sales it has no effect on existing vehicles in state And California is not the only one to make that change
    But Here’s your counterpoint. https://catalyst.independent.org/2020/10/09/californias-gas-powered-ban-elon-musk-environment/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_7Dq3_7I-gIVk8yGCh20FAXvEAAYASAAEgLg3fD_BwE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think there is a Sam's Club here, but Costco has GREAT chickens. I agree with Elon Musk ... it won't help at all. Making those batteries uses more resources than gas rigs and makes more emissions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got over my lazy spell...this has got to be the bird, red cap and all. https://www.desertmuseum.org/kids/oz/long-fact-sheets/Gila%20Woodpecker.php

    ReplyDelete