Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Screw It!!!

BINGO!!!!  Always a night of fun and games with some days being more of a challenge than others.  I was up early again, taking the kid out into the dark back yard hoping for no meetings of the black and white kind.  In spite of there being many places where they can dig under the fence, they have chosen not to do so this year.  Instead, they are wreaking havoc over in the orchard where I relocated three last year.


I really didn't do very much in the morning, though my list was long.  When you have to spend half the night placating the peasants with perfect performance, you would really rather rest up.  I finally drug out the ladder to see why the section of gutter over my bedroom window was leaking so bad and ruining the window sills on the outside.


It's a little dicey fixing this one since the ladder has to be in the flower beds.  I discovered one screw holding the gutter tight to the wall was missing and one was loose, leaving quite a gap.  The overhang of the roofing tiles isn't long enough, so it falls BEHIND the gutter.  Perfect, right?  

Trying to hang on with one hand, push the gutter up, lift the tiles over the edge, then put a screw in really needed four hands.  I had one available to try and put the funny headed screw in the wall while I hung on for dear life with the other.  The screw was longer and I wasn't strong enough to turn the driver.  I did my best impression of being handy and came up with this idea.  Vice grips on the handle.  It worked like a charm.  

Too bad I'll have to go back up because I could only find one screw and I needed two!!  I can't say screw it on this one, it needs to be done.  This project will now involve scraping off the paint and repainting the window frame once it all dries out from the rain.  Oh boy!!!!


Finally, it was time to head on down to the Castle for some peasant interaction.  Sadly our fun group of Knights don't meet upstairs any more.  After all these years, it's a miracle that even four of us still show up.  

SO many new peasants on this day, much time was spent explaining the seven different types of cards, no you cannot gamble using a credit card, yes you can get cash back and DO NOT LOSE THAT RED TICKET!!!   We had 128 peasants, which I think is a record for mid month.  We only see that many on welfare and retirement paydays.  I had to be careful, as money was spilling out the sides of the cash register onto the floor.  

We ran them through in record time, like we did when I was younger running cattle through the chutes for shots and worm medicine.  Head em up, move em out!!!

The pitchforks only came out twice on this night.  Our new caller decided to tell some jokes again, which would have been fine except he did it DURING the game while calling.  That's a NO-NO!  There were lots of sticks and stones thrown in a flash!!  The masses were not impressed and no one laughed.  This is serious business here!!

There were a couple of she-stole-my-seat arguments, but the King quickly resolved them by bringing out extra chairs so they could sit across from each other.  Evil eyes and curses went around the room like the WAVE at a baseball game!!

In the end, I balanced perfectly with the infernal machine, which was a good thing.  That hot dog was doing a number on my stomach.  You would think I would get used to them, but they just keep getting worse and worse.  Eating dinner at 2 pm isn't an option, so I guess I better come up with something else to eat.

What I did get to make me feel better was a box of books to bring home.  One of our guys is an avid reader and always has dozens to give away.  I've never read any of these, so they should keep me busy.  I'll pass them along if any turn out to be real page-turners.


And so I survived another night of Bingo.  With less than perfect sleep last night, I'll be looking for excuses not to do things today.  I guess that's a sign of getting old.  Years ago I would drive two hours just to buy a shirt or two.  Today I don't even want to drive two miles to get gas!!


10 comments:

  1. I love the title today!! LOL. You know it's funny I feel the same way as you at the end. I'm happy being home and not driving anywhere if I don't have to. We do have to drive an hour and a half if I want to do any clothes shopping, unless I want Walmart..sooner or later i'll have to do it, but I put it off as long as possible. Wow...nice books! I haven't read Robyn Carr in a while, but used to love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a matter of not having quite the amount of energy I used to!!

      Delete
  2. Telling jokes??? Obviously the caller has never been a bingo player. My happiest days are the ones where I don't have to leave the house. Elva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I think you're right!! It's always so serious, he was just trying to lighten things up. That gets you yelled at! LOL

      Delete
  3. Too bad you don't have one of those "switchdrivers" or "switchdrills" where you can drill a pilot hole, flip it to a screwdriver and driver the screw right in. Not worth buying for ONE screw...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm I may have to check that out! Never heard of a switch driver.

      Delete
  4. I cannot believe people get so worked up about their bingo. Seriously people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how fanatic they are!! Addicted to gambling!

      Delete
  5. I agree with Jim And Barb, aren't games supposed to be fun?
    Good job on the screwing, heh heh. I'm funnier than the Bingo guy!! 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there are always grumpy people!! Thankfully it's not us!!! LOL

      Delete