Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Evil I Tell You ..... EVIL!!

Lack of sleep finally caught up with me yesterday.  I had plans and a list of things to get done that did not include falling asleep on the couch.  I thought I had it made after that first cup of coffee.  I was raring to go to Boot Barn and use up that $30 credit (you can't let credits go to waste), fuel up the Jeep (our prices are running about $4.97 for regular GASP!!), return a pair of pants and find a new blue blazer.  Oh ... and mail my taxes off.

Abolish the IRS has become my mantra.  I know, if I didn't make money, I wouldn't have to pay anything. That fabulous retirement I was blessed with for working so hard all those years is a blessing and a curse.  Save your money they said ... so when you get older you won't pay as much, lower tax rates and all that nonsense.  It's all a big fat LIE!!!

Last November my investment company sold a bunch of stock for a BIG profit.  Nice you say??  Until you find out that cost you a huge chunk in Capital Gains that you now have to pay taxes on while never seeing the gain.  They keep it and invest in something else.  It's EVIL I tell you ... the IRS is EVIL!!!

I mailed off a big chunk of my bank account to satisfy the Devil when I remembered I had two rugs coming to the house.  No use letting them get stolen off the porch, so I drove back home and became glued to the couch waiting for them.


That's when I remembered the critter cam was still outside.  There were several drive by kitty visits, followed by a Foxy tail flashing in the distance.  Boy can he run!!  It was just a blur.


By the time the rugs were delivered, I wasn't in any mood to hit the stores.  That's an early morning chore for me.  Besides, I had yet another Elks budget meeting to attend last night ... the final one.  Unfortunately I got roped into attending a meeting in Stockton on Sunday.  Who meets at 10:00 on a SUNDAY???  This should be fun since I'm so anti-social!!

I wasted away the afternoon watching the Fort Worth Stockyards Rodeo in their brand new facility.  This is becoming a bad habit.  Luckily by the time I got home, they were showing the 2014 National Finals Rodeo.   The big news, after oh so many years, the National Finals for THIS year have been moved to their new home ... Fort Worth.  What?  No more Las Vegas??

Dinner found me cutting up some prime rib for tacos at 8:30 pm.  It's never good to eat that late, especially for me.  I'm not all that hot on meat that's too rare.  By the time I nuked it, it was perfectly cooked.  


I did get at least one more thing accomplished.  I heard there was a recall of Grand Design Reflection refrigerators.  Something about a wire that was not secured correctly, which might cause a spark.  After waiting on hold for 43 minutes, I was told my Vin # was not on the list.  That's a big relief ... not having to go back to a dealer who keeps your rig sitting there for two months waiting for that special screw to be delivered.

I'm going to get in as many winks as I can today .... it's BINGO TIME!!


6 comments:

  1. Could not agree with you more! We did our taxes early, mailed them their check and then 3 weeks later we get a letter from the IRS saying they found an error and we owe another $1,600. What was I going to do argue with them? There goes another $1,600....pure Evil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only seem to harass the people who actually PAY them.

      Delete
  2. Dad taught me how to do my taxes when I was 17 (yes, I had my first job at age 16). Feds did not take anything, but Cal did, something like $25, which was heart breaking to a 17 year old kid who earned around $1,800 that previous year. (Since mom and dad claimed me as a dependent, I had nothing to deduct...had I claimed myself then mom and dad would have paid a huge chunk more). Fast Forward about 10 years later and I inverted two numbers doing my State Taxes, ended up owing them another $300 or so PLUS a fine of $75 for the error! Now days we have no write-offs except for charity, and it maxes out around $600 since we do standard deduction. I am very very very careful to do it right, and we pay our own quarterly taxes and I always add a slight cushion in my calculations so that we don't 'owe' any more at the end of the year and deduct the over payment from of first quarterly check the following year. It still makes me lose sleep....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the honest people pay their taxes ... no wonder they can spend billions and trillions on anything they want.

      Delete
  3. I have to agree with you Nancy, EVIL. We're holding out even more this year so hopefully we don't owe next year. There went any raise and more that we supposedly got from SS. Oh those prime rib tacos look oh so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's enough to make you go crazy ... the amount of money I'm paying in!!

      Delete