Sunday, April 17, 2022

Happy Easter!!!

 Christ the Lord is risen today!  I hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed day with their friends and family, even if that only includes their fur friends.  


I have to admit, my little guy was a pain in the butt all night long.  I'm hoping it's just tummy troubles because he had me up three times.  I finally gave up at 2:30.  Maybe it's because he just can't wait to get to those chocolate Easter eggs.  Just kidding, he doesn't like them.  No, I don't give him chocolate!!


I take it all back about not being sore yesterday.  As soon as I stood up from the desk, it hit me like a hammer.  I could walk but my legs complained every step.  It quickly became a shuffling walk to the bottle of aspirin, which I now carry in my pocket.

Aren't these eggs just amazing?  I have a friend from Budapest who used to get these when she was younger.  It's rather like painted rocks on steroids.  No way do I have the patience for this, but I look forward to seeing them ever Easter.


By the time I finished my first cup of coffee, the rains came down from the Heavens.  It was truly a downpour, which is great because we really need the water here.  Sadly, it showed me where three more problems live ... up on the roof with my gutters.  One is over 14 feet high and has never been cleaned.  I did get part of it unplugged after removing the piece at the bottom, but it still needs work.  

Somehow two have come loose, allowing water to go underneath them instead of INTO them.  I guess I'll be back up on the ladder later in the week.  But not until it rains three more times!!!  


I had a rather healthy breakfast before heading off to the grocery store for things like Cole slaw for Jonathan.  Like little kids, it's hard to keep their diet varied enough to keep them eating.  He's almost as bad as Cooper!!!  Yes, these are sweet potatoes fries.  Just throw them in the air fryer and BINGO you have a tasty treat.  It's vegetables, right????  These were mine, not Jonathans.


By 8:00 I was out the door.  It's funny who you run into.  This very sweet elderly lady ... I say elderly because I'm sure she was older than me ... was calling out for "Ray" to come help her as we stood by the most expensive beef I've seen in awhile.  The SALE sign caught my eye.  Prime Rib for $6.99 a pound, a right nice price considering it was $26.99 a pound last week.  

I have no doubt they are still making money at the lower price.  In fact, this is probably the same meat they are now trying to get rid of.  This under 5 pound roast was still $33. 00. 


The sweet lady told me to have them cut one since they were out of small ones, and have them season it with Pappy's Prime Rib.  They'll do it for free she said.  And if you need it, tell them to wrap it in freezer paper.  It will stay fresh longer.  She knows the names of all the guys behind the counter, teased them about someone's nose growing like Pinocchio and finally walked out with TWO roasts and two plastic bags for good measure.  I don't know what the bags were for.  

Believe it or not, I saved $56 on one shopping trip, $37 of it on two meat purchases.  They tell you so you will feel better about getting deceived and completely blowing your budget.

We never saw a prime rib in our many years of raising beef.  It was always left for the butcher, along with the tenderloins, for payment.  If we wanted tender meat, we had them hang it in their cold box for two weeks before wrapping.  Now the best restaurants age their own beef and charge you accordingly.

So here comes the hard part ... roasting it.  I've never had one turn out like it's supposed to.  For one thing, they fool you nowadays.  I don't think anyone even knows about prime meat because I haven't seen any in years.  All you get is Choice and more often Select.  The simple truth is because of that, meat is no longer tender.  It's feeding grain that makes it so much better.


Here's a good example.  The fourth grade on the list is standard.  Even though they make it look pretty by making kabobs, THIS meat is tough as nails.  I kick myself for wasting $13 on these.  I guess you're supposed to take it off the sticks and marinate it for days before cooking.

Instead I just stuck it on the barbecue.  Even after cutting it into smaller than 1/2" pieces, I literally could not chew it.  What a waste!!


So today I'll try to cook the prime rib.  If it turns out not so good, I'll recook it in the Instant Pot until it falls apart and make stroganoff out of it.  I did that once ... when prime rib was really "prime" tender ... and never heard the end of it.  I guess it's the same as taking fillet mignon and making spaghetti sauce.  Yeah, I did that too.


Hopefully this afternoon, I'll be like the sleeping bunnies above ... snoozing on the couch with my sleep walking kid Cooper.  I'll let you know how the roast turns out!



17 comments:

  1. We got a box of beef from our rancher neighbor last week. We lease our pasture to him to run his cattle and each year he drops off a box. Tonight we are having T-Bones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo!!! That's how to get good beef. Hope they were delicious!

      Delete
  2. I love all the Easter pictures! Can't wait to see how your prime rib turns out! Those kebabs looked amazing, too bad they didn't taste as good as they looked! Enjoy your day! Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive got my fingers crossed Shirley!!! Happy Easter to you both.

      Delete
  3. Wishing you a Safe and Happy Easter.
    Good luck cooking your roast.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so difficult to choose and buy a good cut of beef. We love it but my choices are never perfect. I still rely on Madame IP to cook it the best for me no matter what we buy.
    HOppy Easter to your and your sweet critters. The indoor ones. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same beef troubles. The IP can help in most cases!!

      Delete
  5. Happy Easter and hoping your dinner was a delicious success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your posts.
    You are amazing in all you accomplish by your self!
    We finally got those gutters that you don’t have to clean,
    so far so good.
    We live north of you and sure didn’t get much rain at all,
    I’d call it a drizzle.
    Hope your little fur guy is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I trained a lot here .... and should again for the next three days. You must have been on the fringe. Cooper is better now, thank you!!!

      Delete
  7. "Christos Anesti" (Greeks greet each other with this starting after midnight on Easter Sunday. This phrase means, “Christ is Risen.” Marcia is Greek)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one I've never heard before Dave ... Christos Anesti Marcia!!! I remember you finding Greek food for here. Love it!!

      Delete
  8. Happy Easter Nancy.
    I've been wondering about Jonathon. He's so cute.
    Hope Cooper is feeling better.
    I agree you sure do get lots done in a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loree!!! Cooper is better and Jonathan is his usually screaming disco self!!!

      Delete
  9. Really!!! That's fascinating ... you'll have to tell us how you did that!

    ReplyDelete