Friday, March 1, 2024

We Are Going To Float Away!!

Here's my little sidekick, never more than a few feet away.  If only I could sleep so well.  Thirty minutes after we are up, he's asleep at my side!!  Probably because it's so quiet this morning.  A nice soft rain has been falling for a few hours.  It seems to quell the morning ruckus! 


Back to the day before ... I received my Hello Fresh food order.  I'm doing this about every two weeks just to get some good food with good recipes.  On this occasion however, they forgot the recipes.  Things used to be so much easier.  

I got someone who lives in a cave with an echo that would impress the Grand Canyon.  I couldn't understand a word he said, so I hung up and tried again.  You've got to love these "service" centers in some obscure corner of the world.  This time it was some guy in Bangladesh who couldn't speak hardly any English.  I could hear him typing in the question ... the problem was he couldn't read the answer.  

He finally said he would send the recipe to my email address.  He also mentioned I could find all the recipes on their website.  REALLY?  My brain kicked into high gear.  If I have the recipes, I probably don't need to buy the expensive food from them as often.  I'll let you know if that works out.

In the meantime, here's the SHOULD look like picture .......


And here the DID look like.  Although two of the potatoes were past their prime, the carrots were the biggest sweetest I've had in ages.  As with everything else however, they don't give you the REAL picture.  See that chicken breast above?  That's a WHOLE one.  But look here ... they give you ONE for this two person meal.  They cut it in half!!  That's false advertising, yes??

Actually, though short on chicken, it really was quite tasty and only took about 30 minutes to make.  


On to the present ... I don't understand why the weather guessers always try to scare the crap out of us.  This is going to be another STORM OF THE CENTURY!  They even CLOSED Yosemite National Park.  No kidding ... they shut the gates and are making everyone leave the park.  Why do they do that???

BRING OUT THE ARK .... we're all going to die under 50 feet of snow and water!  Good grief ... when I first learned to snow ski, we had 12-15 feet of snow in the Sierras every single year!  As you drove up the mountain, you couldn't see anything but white walls.  

Here, they have put out sand bags ... we are all going to be washed away.  Why oh why do they think it's okay to scare people like that?  Seems to me it's all about control, but that's just my opinion.


So to pass the time while the great floods come (it never rained a drop at my house) I whipped up a batch of peanut butter cookies for the freezer.  If I have a sugar attack, I just take out ONE and savor every bite.


Finally it was time to head out ... still no rain ... to the Elks Lodge for the Volunteer dinner.  Workers and their spouses (or your friend from down the street) get a wonderful dinner for free.  It's amazing to see so many people volunteer for something.  Seems like it's hard to find volunteers, but not here!  

This is my long time girlfriend Diane that I worked with at the County offices, along with her good friend and Bingo player Cheryl.  Diane's husband couldn't come, so Cheryl sacrificed her time for a nice steak dinner.  Diane is my counter supreme.  She counts the cards and calls out what they are so I can enter it in the infernal machine.  Two really GREAT gals!!


I ordered the chicken because steak isn't my thing.  The steak was one big slab, cooked to rare perfection and sliced just for you.  This is one of those large containers, so you can imagine how big that chunk-o-chicken is.  It's what's for dinner today!!  Along with this was green salad, asparagus, scalloped potatoes, rolls and the best peach cobbler, smothered in Thrifty ice cream!!!  Oh ... and two free drinks for anyone that wanted them!!


By the way, on any average Bingo night, we have 17 volunteers working.  I'm always amazed that so many people help out.  This last year we donated over $80,000 to local charities, schools, burn centers and hospitals.  Our Elks RV Park donated about the same amount.  We work closely with them because all their proceeds are donated also.  It's a great organization in our little town.  And so ended a really nice but late night.  

This morning I'm going couch sit for awhile and recover from not enough sleep.  Then I'll get out my blowup raft and tie it to the fence so I'll be ready for the great flood of '24.






12 comments:

  1. It's been raining here all night. Yep a raft would sure come in handy! Lol
    Stay dry!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you guys have been getting lots more than us. A little rain yesterday, but not the buckets they predicted.

      Delete
  2. Remember when we could go into a Thrifty's and buy an Ice Cream Cone for 5 cents, double for 10 cents??? Those were the good ole days...

    And our local weather guy said that if you add up all the max snow fall predictions from the National Weather Service it equals 189" of snow over the next four days! Heck, the Central Sierra Snow Lab recorded 56.4 feet last year, so what the heck is 10-15 feet now???? Like you said, they just want to scare and control people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes ... I remember that ice cream ... the best in town. I don't know why they want to scare people. Tell them to be prepared, but not scare everyone with crazy predictions that are really just the normal amount of rain and snow.

      Delete
  3. I was amazed when the heavy Rain hit back in January, but think they need to correct their calculations. Oh by the way, isn't it time for Tornado Season to start. I remember waiting a few days after one hit ahead of us, then had to push it because one was coming behind us.
    Better get that inflatable ready.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Truly there is no tornado season here. Once, maybe 40 years ago a small one touched down south of us. The damage consisted of a 2 x 4 hitting a palm tree.

      Delete
  4. The VFW I used to attend gave us two free drinks on meeting nights. Since I'm not a drinker, I got two cans of Diet Coke unopened to take home.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vote for that!!! We only get free drinks once a year, mostly because drinks are so cheap anyway. I always drink Coke (though I prefer Pepsi, we don't have it) because it's free for members.

      Delete
  5. Totally about media terrorism. We just to get over a foot of snow and still have school the next day. Now, you get a few inches and they cancel everything. Baffles my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly, if we get snow here, they shut down the whole state! LOL

      Delete
  6. There are so many 'worst we have seen' forecasts, it is ridiculous.
    Cooper has the right idea, he just doesn't care. 💕
    Glad you guys all got treated and that you were home for it! Bingo does good things for charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there's no more reporting the truth any more. Everything is exaggerated!

      Delete