Monday, March 11, 2024

Goat Goats!!

It's still cold in California.  We go from 45 at night to 60 every day with cloudy skies that keep the sun from shining and we've got several more days before she decides to peak out and warm up the land.  No sunrise and no sunset ... but we have GOATS!!

Cooper was barking like crazy yesterday morning.  Mostly it's at the ghosts that frequent the neighborhood.  Every time I look out the window, there's nothing there. It could be a kitty, a fox or a car driving by ... but on this day when I finally went to look ... THIS is what I found.  

We call them goaty goats on the ranch.  About that time my phone started going off.  I wasn't the only one who saw him and the Facebook postings began.  This time however, I knew where he lived.  Right next door at "THE" neighbors house ... you know, the one.  It's the house who walked their dog in my flower beds.  Thank goodness they no longer have any dogs.  I digress.

These guys are pretty funny ... they walk with long steps, their heads high in the air.  Prancing comes to mind.  I thought we were completely done with the raising of goats for the 4-H kids to show at the fair, but apparently there are still some residing in their back yard.  I love the critters ...  the people, not so much.

About the time I went outside to round him up, they came out, shocked to see them running around outside on the street.  They put the goaty goats back inside.  Good job Cooper!!!


I could have ... should have ... gone back to bed.  This spring forward time change is the one that gets me the most, even though I stay on Arizona time.  Looking at the clock messes with my brain, making for a definite lack of sleep.  That means I'm moving pretty slow.

I did get out once again to mail more tax documents and got some diesel in the truck to the tune of $5.09 a gallon.  Gas for the jeep was a whopping $4.59 a gallon.  I didn't fill it up.  Summer is coming and the prices are going through the roof.  

I spent the rest of the day ... you guessed it ... sewing binding.  It's the penalty I pay for buying all that gorgeous fabric and happily making quilts.  I could probably use my sewing machine, but my binding skills are lacking.  They never turn out as nice as when I do it by hand.


There is one bad thing about staying home all day.  All these thoughts of stuff you need go flying through your brain.  Amazon makes a fortune.  The drivers wish I would just buy it all at once so they don't have to keep coming to my door every day.  

The little heater I have in my rig just doesn't do it for me in spite of what the ad said.  It ran all night and could barely keep the temperature at 65.  Yes I can use the rig heater, but that makes sleep elusive as the train rolls through every 30 minutes.  

This one should do the trick.  It's twice the size, heats up quite nicely and even has a remote control.  That's it laying on the top.  It even oscillates, though I'm not sure that helps.  This is obviously for when I'm plugged in, which I've discovered is much nicer than worrying about how much battery I do or do not have.  Jonathan will thank me.


Dinner was simple.  I found some tiny potatoes and whipped up my latest recipe.  What could be better than lots of butter, garlic and parmesan?  This will be the last dinner because there's something much better to make with corned beef.  Corned beef HASH!  It's why I buy the thing in the first place.  

It's an old time favorite, one you can rarely find nowadays.  On the ranch we had lots of hash made from top round roast beef that was left over because no one would eat it.  It's not the most tender, nor the most flavorful ... but mix it up with potatoes and onions and VOILA!!  A quite tasty dinner.  That's what I'll do with the left over corned beef.  YUM!!


It's Monday morning, which means absolutely nothing because I'm happily retired.  Cooper and I will hang out before I begin the awesome task of working on the Elks Lodge Budget.  That should take a week or two ... more accounting fun!!!  Oh yay!!!




12 comments:

  1. Dinner looks good and so does your hand work on the quilt.
    Have a good day Nancy !
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue ... dinner was okay, but already I'm getting tired of corned beef. LOL

      Delete
  2. Goat is cute but they can damage a yard real quick.
    They will eat anything.
    Your dinner looks great!
    Enjoy your day.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about that! These guys are spoiled however. It's one of the breeders and she only eats alfalfa and grain. I tried to get them to eat the nice green grass coming through the fence, but they refused. Weird.

      Delete
  3. The city of West Sacramento "hires" goats to keep grasses and weeds down. Your neighborhood goat is a cutie 💓.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that. These goats are very spoiled though ... they don't eat the grass, as evidenced by the two foot tall green weeds covering their back yard.

      Delete
  4. We had goats on the farm once to keep the back area clear of weeds. Once they started getting out there was no stopping them. No longer have any. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure I'll see them out out again soon. These guys are more like pets ... he wandered a long way, but came back almost to the right house .....

      Delete
  5. I have that same heater. It's amazing how well it works. When Bill wasn't doing well, he'd always be cold (even in the summer). I would put it by the recliner and it would warm the whole room.
    Now that he's doing so much better, I haven't used it much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear Bill is doing better. I was really surprised at the heat that thing puts out! Jonathan will like it.

      Delete
  6. We had pygmy goats when we lived in Colfax..they were adorable. They actually went with the house when we sold :) Dinner looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say goats make great pets. They are so darn cute and love attention.

      Delete