Saturday, March 16, 2024

Very VERY Destructive

 Mother Nature just doesn't want to give up the ghost this year.  It was bright and sunny here, but I heard rain and hail in Arizona.  In spite of the heavy wind warnings, we had a beautiful day.  Not so much far up in the Sierra Nevada mountains.  The forecast ... spring is here ... oh wait ... winter is back ... noooo, it's toasty warm ... and then it snows.  

While working on that new cage for Jonathan, I finally decided to put on my Maid outfit and get to the next big project .... cage cleaning.


There's lots to learn about parrots.  The first one is they can bite VERY hard and take your finger off if you aren't careful.  Handfed birds like Jonathan are not quite as bad.  He has given me some terrible bites in the past, but all my fingers are still intact.  Yes, he bites the hand that feeds him.

They are also very destructive, as evidenced by his cage.  Parrots chew on wood things ... like furniture ... to keep their beaks short.  If I didn't give Jon pieces of wood to chew on, his beak would become so long he could no longer eat.  They also chew on their perches and anything they can pull into their cage.


These were two huge bath towels at one time.  You can see what's left.  These go on the cage first because you KNOW they will be gone in about six months.  Over that go the other blankets that help keep them warm.  Parrots come from tropical countries and cannot tolerate the cold.  That is always the problem with traveling ... keeping Jonathan warm.


Birds also have dander like cats and dogs ... only they are worse.  It's one of the things some people are allergic to.  Luckily I don't have a problem, other than cleaning the floor where it all lands.

Not trying to scare you, but if you see a dead bird, don't touch it.  Outside birds can carry a disease called psittacosis or bird flu.  Jonathan is never allowed outside because he caught this disease when he was young.  It took several months of me giving him shots in his belly (yes really) to bring him out of it.  It's absolutely a miracle that he survived.  

On to cleaning ... I probably haven't done this in maybe 5 years?  I mean I clean the cage, but I haven't taken it apart and deep cleaned.  Note to self ... you really need to do this more often!!


I brought in his second house from the garage after giving it a good cleaning.  It's easier to switch cages and clean the other one with a power washer.


It took me all morning to get it situated with new towels and freshly washed blankets.  This side is left open because the heater sits here.  If he's cold, he moves closer to this side.


Here he is all tucked away.  You can't see his head because they sleep with their beak under their wing.  Looks pretty awkward and uncomfortable to me, but that's how they sleep.


The rest of the day involved several conversations about budget stuff .... boring .... while I tried to watch the Houston rodeo in the background.

At last I was able to get back to a little sewing.  This is the new quilt I'm working on.  If only I would have known how much I'd like the colors, I would have stuck with just two.  Unfortunately there are EIGHT colors being used to make separate squares.  I hope I like it when done, because this thing is a terror when it comes to sewing all those pieces in the correct spot.  

Jack is really getting a workout.  That's Jack the Ripper ... my SEAM ripper.  No one ever said quilting humor was funny!!


And so the weekend has arrived.  There's a big dinner tonight, a fundraiser for the Sheriff's Department, to be held at the Elks Lodge.  Lucky me, I've been invited to partake.  Our Sheriff can cook like a Master Chef.  It should be fun!!






14 comments:

  1. You have been spring cleaning at Jonathan's house and it looks nice. Another quilt is starting and really like to watch them come to life.
    Nancy you did such a nice job on Deb's quilts and what a treasure to pass down to her family later in life . Grama started it and you finished it.
    Enjoy tonight's dinner !
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm glad I was able to help Deb out. All the squares were finished, I just put it together for her.

      Delete
  2. Wow that was a job cleaning Jonathan's cage it sure looks nice.
    Your quilt is going to be beautiful but then every quilt I have seen on your blog is beautiful. You've got talent my friend!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances ... cleaning that cage was a challenge!

      Delete
  3. You missed your calling...would have made a great Vet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to be a Vet, but way back then they would not let women take Ag classes. Besides that, there was no money for women ... it was a Man's World.

      Delete
  4. Love your quilt pattern. Is it Hunter's Star? Hats off for taking such good care of Jonathan. It rained like crazy last night in Wickenburg,AZ. 38 degrees this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you know your quilts. Yes it is Hunters Star. I heard the weather down there went south again!

      Delete
  5. That cabinet you have for storing your quilts and material is beautiful. Almost as beautiful as the quilts you make. I wonder if Jonathan knows just how much he is loved because it is evident in your posts that is for sure. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Jon is a happy camper or he probably would not have lived this long! I too love the cabinet!

      Delete
  6. As everyone says, it is obvious you love that sweet boy. Well, both of them. You're a good Mom.
    Your new quilt will be lovely. It so far looks similar to the one you gave Bill, he loves it.
    Crazy weather, rain and hail yesterday and now rain today again. Sunny tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you stay dry ... that hail kind of messes up your hanging out in the sun ... said one Dog Mom to another wonderful Dog Mom!!

      Delete
  7. just sharing Talked w a woman who has her birds at her tourist store. She said putting pine needles in bottom of cage helps keep the tiny feathers and dander under control. Worth a try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's an interesting idea. I'll have to try it. Thanks so much!!

      Delete