Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Paying It Forward

It's time to celebrate!!  The coughing has almost gone away.  I spent very little time yesterday bent over coughing my brains out.  Let's hope there's enough left that they will regrow.  I did find that I didn't cough nearly as much when there was a peanut butter cookie in my mouth.  I made the sacrifice and looky here ... I'm BETTER!!

Better enough anyway that I made the long trek out to my mailbox because someone suggested that was a good idea.  It was worth every step.  I wasn't too sure when I saw the envelope from Kenneth, especially since I don't know any Kenneths first hand.  Wasn't I surprised to find this cute Easter card from my childhood school friend Frances.  You surprised me girlfriend ... and I thank you so very much!  This is so thoughtful ... hardly anyone sends cards any more.  AND remember she sent me a case of coffee???????


And then I found this .... this one said Barb and Jim.  What goes around really does come back in spades.  I received these gift cards in return for the quilt and fox pelt.  I wasn't expecting anything at all.  It just goes to show you there really are wonderful people left in the world.  You three friends MADE MY DAY!!  


You had me at Red Lobster!!  See the word HABIT on the right?  That's English for Habit Burger, which just happens to be my all time favorite burger joint and lives just down the road a few miles.  What a coincidence ... I'll be driving right by it because I'm headed to the metal fabrication place in town to fix Jonathan's travel cage.


I thought if I could get these little legs cut off, the cage would fit under the cabinet in the RV.  Surely a metal fabrication shop would have something to chop them off.  I went inside to find two huge burly men sitting there ... kind of scary at first glance.  

I explained my problem.  He said that will be $1,000.  YIKES!!!  Good thing he was laughing!  He said sure ... and sent his guy outside to do the cutting.  I offered to pay whatever he wanted because I appreciated the fact he said yes.  He told me no charge .... told me to pay it forward the next chance I got.  I told him he was a scholar and a gentleman ... and I would definitely do that.


Next stop ... you know where ... Habit Burger!!!  I think I was over the moon for the guy at the fabrication shop and my brain skipped a gear.  Habit has changed their menu ... and the salads looked SO good ... on the sign anyway.  I chose badly!!

This is a Santa Barbara cob salad.  I'm not sure where the cob went, but it had lots of blue cheese, which never touches my lips EVER!!  Well this was a big mistake!!  

Deciding this was a good place to pass it on, I tipped the very young girl with a mouthful of braces $10 for her fast smiling service.  She said I didn't know how much she needed this.  Okay then ... eating the tiny pieces of blue cheese that I could NOT pick out of the salad was worth it.  


On the way back home, there was a guy picking up bottles and cans from behind all the buildings.  He had three big bags hanging on his bicycle.  There's a guy who is maybe down on his luck, but he's sure working hard for all those plastic bottles.  

I stopped him ... said someone just did something very nice for me, so I'm passing it on ... paying it forward.  Here's $20.00.  You won't believe what he said ... I'm good, but I know someone who could really use it.  DONE.

So ... with the taste of blue cheese finally OUT of my mouth, I drug this very heavy cage out to the RV, praying it would fit under the cabinet.  I had a quarter inch to spare.  I wish it was a little smaller ... it takes up quite a bit of my counter space, but Jonathan will appreciate having a little more room.


It even matches the decor!  Hah!!  And he can scream in my ear very nicely!!


Finally back inside with only intermittent coughing, I spotted two of these in the Habit Burger bag.  What the heck?  Okay, I get it.  It's supposed to look like a burger.  Turns out it's a gummy bear type of thing.  I popped it in my mouth ... and popped it right back out into the garbage can.  Who feeds this stuff to their kids?  It tasted terrible and was like chewing on a piece of rubber.  I'd rather have blue cheese!!


And so ended a very nice day of not coughing too much, eating lots of peanut butter cookies, feeling warm and fuzzy from the mail pickup and VERY thankful for friends and the nice people at metal fabrication businesses.  It doesn't get any better than that!!!



18 comments:

  1. Glad that you are feeling better and that you got Jonathan's cage to fit in the RV. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Way to pay it forward. Good things happen to good people. Do you know how many blogs I had to go back and review to choose which restaurants we thought you would like the most? It would have been sooner, but Habit Burger must have had a backlog on getting the gift certificate to us. Glad you like them and glad that you were able to make someone else's day in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was SO surprised!! Good one you two ... good one!! I'll celebrate with a big bacon cheeseburger the next time I go!!

      Delete
  3. Reminded me of the time I made Blue Cheese Dressing in the Restaurant and regretted that my mouth was open. We made it in these big 5 gallon buckets, making about 4 gallons at a time. After adding all the ingredients, and finely chopping up the huge block of Blue Cheese (that alone is enough to make me barf) I started stirring it with this big paddle. Plopped the paddle into the mixture and up comes a 'burp' of blue cheese dressing that landed right in my mouth. YUCK!!!!!! (but I did not barf, nor did I swallow it...and my mouth still tastes that yucky stuff just thinking about it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am NOT a blue cheese fan. Isn't that the dreaded MOLD? LOL. I do not envy that job!!

      Delete
  4. So nice of you to pay it forward!
    Cage looks great in your trailer.
    Enjoy your day!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frances. You made me smile once again! I hope your weather is getting better. We've had enough wet and cold around here.

      Delete
  5. That Jonathan is special. Countertops are precious in a trailer, so he must be really special. Save some of that gratitude. You may need it one day. So glad your coughing is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's pretty special. He's like the kid that still lives at home 49 years later!

      Delete
  6. Well didn't you have a wonderful day. I don't eat salad anymore but sure wish I could. So that salad looks good to me. Have another wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually very good ... bacon, avocado, egg ... you can't go wrong with those ingredients.

      Delete
  7. That burger lollie is horrible tried them myself and yeah spat it out. How wonderful to get cards in the mail just out of the blue makes us feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True on both notes Jo-Anne ... I don't know why they make those horrible treats. It's like jello that's been sitting on the counter for a year!

      Delete
  8. I give you credit for finding a solution for your bird cage thing. Those guys had a good laugh, I'm sure, as the stuff they work on is in the thousands of dollars and they were very kind to do your work for such a good price. Good going.
    bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably could have done it myself, but this was more fun.

      Delete
  9. Certainly good news that the coughing is on its
    way out !! We had it too and don’t want it back.
    I think your a generous person and you surely
    did pass on your blessing🙌.
    Thanks for sharing your real life🎊
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nasty stuff this cough. I'm glad it's on it's way out. I do like surprising people ... it makes me smile.

      Delete