Saturday, March 30, 2024

Disaster Strikes!!

 Sometimes I wonder ... why me?  Or better yet, WHY ME at least once a week!!  When I say weird things happen to me often, it's a true statement.

I woke up on this dreary, cold, gray, rain-in-the-forecast day with great expectations.  The weed guys were going to come and spray my back 40 since the backpack sprayer I have is now too heavy for my back to bear.  

When my outside alarm went off at 7:00 I was mightily surprised.  I ran and hid in the bedroom until I could get myself in a presentable state.  Wow ... they sure start early.  

That's when I had a premonition.  It just didn't feel right.  They are going to spray, then it's going to rain.  Little did I know what would happen next.  Notice the three lids on the yellow tank.


Twenty minutes later I looked out the window to see this.  OH CRAP!!!  Or something like that came out of my mouth.  I ran outside to yell at the kid ... maybe 23 years old.  Your hose is leaking!!!!  I should have just gone back in the house and prayed.

Those three tanks in one on his truck?  The fitting came off the middle tank and as he sprayed my corrals, it dumped 30-40 gallons of weed spray on my grass.  At first I thought ... oh it's not that bad ... until I walked over to the fence.  There was a river of white running all the way down the fence line clear out towards the road ... and the tank was empty.  


The poor kid was literally panicking.  He was trying to call his boss but couldn't even hit the numbers on his phone.  It's okay I said ... it's only grass and can be replaced.  I'm thinking "not so much when it comes to my neighbor's trees down the line" .... but it's okay.  No big deal.  Really ... it's okay.

His boss said to get a hose and wash off the concrete, then flood the grass and the little drainage ditch, which we did.  The good news is I will not have any weeds or grass down the fence line for the next twenty years.  The boss said he would come out and inspect the damage in about two weeks.  Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to get all new grass down the entire length of my property.  I'll take a before picture today and we'll see just how bad it gets.  

Oh yeah ... fun and excitement!!!  WAY too early in the morning for me!!


I was back in the house by 8:00, checking the foxy cam.  No video, just a picture.  I thought maybe the sick one would stop by, but he never showed.  This guy looked healthy as could be.


When the pharmacy opened, I drove on over to Walmart to get those pills.  I sat in the parking lot for a few minutes thinking about it.  I had not coughed all morning long.  Are you kidding me?  The threat of taking medication that will dry me out like the Arizona Desert must have had an impact.  No kidding, NO COUGH.  

I picked them up anyway, passing on the Zertec which they were out of anyway.  Antihistamines are not good for me.  This morning I have a bit of a dry cough, but not enough to bother taking pills over.  I guess I will save them for the next big assault.  The Nurse did suggest I come in for an allergy panel and shots, but unless I'm dying, that's not going to happen.

I did finally feel good enough to get back behind my sewing machine for a time, putting together the next two colors in this quilt.  It will all be brown and white, just different color tones.  After it's all done, I'll decide which colors will go where.


Dinner was a simple fridge-cleaning out before all the veggies went south.  To be honest, the Brussel sprouts you see there were past their prime, but I threw them in anyway.  I should have eaten it plain, but I threw in the last of the pasta from the cupboard.  Quite tasty and VERY healthy ... followed up with some ice cream to cancel out the healthy part.


It rained most of the afternoon and half the might.  Time to see if I was able to fix that gutter problem.  





20 comments:

  1. About that zuchini bread, try putting a slice or two in the toaster. I like it darker than lighter. Carmelizes the sugar. Tastes different than not toasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh that's a great idea!! I never would have thought of that one! Thank you so much!!

      Delete
  2. Oh no! Depending on what that chemical was, it could sterilize your soil for years. If it was just a weed killer, the trees should be okay. There are also reporting regulations for spills over a certain amount. I wonder if that kid still has a job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just weed killer. I have sandy soil, so most of it probably seeped in before getting to the trees. Honestly I don't know exactly how much leaked out. They didn't seem very concerned, so I'm hoping it's not a big deal.

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness it wasn't Round-up, or we would be hearing commercials like we do with Camp Lejeune. "If you lived next to, down the street from, Nancy Kissack ..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right!! Too funny!!! No, not Roundup.

      Delete
  4. Nancy my husband, who is a licensed applicator says they should have told you exactly what they are spraying before they applied pesticide.
    They shouldn't even try to spray if it's going to or is raining.
    Watch Cooper when he's outside you don't want him licking grass or concrete after that spill.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a weed killer and pre-emergent, not Roundup. I was surprised they sprayed when it was supposed to rain. It means they will have to come back and spray it again ... for free. It's guaranteed for 6 months.

      Delete
  5. Husband says the owner of that business should have come out and checked the incident immediately!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kid called him twice, but he didn't respond. I think maybe he thought the kid was exaggerating. Wait til they have to pay for the damage!

      Delete
  6. Life is full of why me moments, these are words most people say at some point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky for me they are always small problems. I must have someone looking over me.

      Delete
  7. Depending on how much was spilled and what was used this might need to be reported. This could migrate to the neighbors property and open a whole new can of worms. Cover you liability . Good luck Vern@ Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neighbor knows. He came out and wasn't concerned at all, nor was the boss of the business. I guess we will see what happens.

      Delete
  8. I don't like antihistamines either. They don't make me sleepy; they wind me up. So I'm passing on something about a med that was prescribed when I had a dry cough after being sick last fall. It's benzonatate. It worked so well, and that's ALL it did, that I haven't even looked it up, because as we know, all meds have downsides. Anyway, I didn't take the full bottle, so am hoarding the remainders in case I have that sort of thing again. A walk-in clinic prescribed it; my doc never had...so I'd never had it before. Wonder what they prescribed for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well surprise Judith. That is exactly what they gave me. I'll post it today.

      Delete
  9. Oh dear, poor you and the poor kid. Sounds like they'll look after things though, i hope.
    Your meal looks tasty. Glad the cough is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will definitely fix any problems. I took pictures!! We poured enough water on it that it may not be a problems at all.

      Delete
  10. Oh my, you are getting a new lawn, I think. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete