Monday, March 18, 2024

A Working Sunday

 The sunshine is working again in California.  It's been gone for quite a long time, hiding out behind the clouds and rain.  We should actually get up to 75 degrees this week.  What an odd weather year.  There are two things about all that rain .... the first one being it makes the weeds grow like they are on steroids.  

That's a bad thing since we have some fireworks fanatics around here that could set my back corrals on fire.  And so I spent the first two hours of the day carrying around a large backpack, spraying said weeds.  My back complaineth.  It wasn't a full 4 gallon load, but enough for me to call the Weed folks today.  I didn't quite finish the left side and never even TOUCHED the right side corral.  

It's worth the price I guess since if the weeds are gone, the grubs are gone and the SKUNKS are gone.


On the other hand, the roses are starting to bloom like crazy.  As long as it doesn't require any care at all from me, plants seem to thrive.  If I get involved, they die.


Next up ... empty the tanks on the RV.  Why oh why they would put the dump handle right over the axle, I don't know.  This has to be a MAN engineering job.  Us women would put an extension on it so we didn't even have to bend over.  On the other hand, you do get a nice splash of water in your face to wake you up when you pull the handle.  I now reach in with a very long hay hook from my days of bucking hay for the horses.


Next up ... the hot water tank.  My old rig had endless hot water that I never had to do anything with.  This one, it's a lot of work remembering exactly what to do to empty and fill it.  If I'm on super saver mode, it takes one plastic bottle full before it becomes hot.  In the other rig, it took three bottles ... so there's that.  Why use bottles to capture the water?  So I could last well over a month before refilling.

The little green cutting board is just to keep water off the directions on the door.  The last time I removed some directions like that (on a house), it cost me a chunk.  DO NOT remove those labels.


Along the path to the rig, I discovered my rosemary was blooming like crazy.  I guess spring really is here and summer is on the way.  I don't know what variety this is, but it makes the BEST tasting pork loin.


With three things on my to-do list marked off ... which gives me great satisfaction ... Cooper and I watched the Houston Rodeo Finals.  So far this rodeo year has been about as weird as the weather.  The top guys are all out with injuries and the 19-21 year olds are taking over.  They look like they are 14!

While that was going on, I began yet another "wonderful" dinner from Hello Fresh.  Honestly, I don't think I chose these meals.  If you forget, they send whatever they want.  Mistakes can be made ... this came with chicken instead of PORK.  I also just noticed the calories listed at the bottom.  This is what it SHOULD look like.


Here's what it DID look like.  Carrots must be in season because I seem to be getting them with every order!!  AND everything once again was roasted in the oven.  I admit, it's a quick no-dirty-dishes way to fix dinner.  The sauce on this one made my mouth pucker up like eating a lemon.  Woohoo that balsamic vinegar was SOUR!!

I didn't make the potatoes.  If I have to choose between roasted or mashed, it's mashed every time.  I'll have them later with something else.  At least this time I got a WHOLE piece of chicken.


I really can't complain ... it hit the spot and was semi tasty, but I won't put this one on my order again. 

Lucky me, I have a dentist appointment today.  Just cleaning so no big deal.  Then it's Amazon return time.  That reminds me, while at the fundraising dinner, there was a table next to us purchased by a BID company.  I finally asked who they were.  

It seems all that merchandise that's returned to Amazon, doesn't go to Amazon after all.  It is picked up by these guys and sold at auction (kind of like Ebay) several times a week.  It's not shipped to you, you have to go pick it up in person.  Anyone know if this is legit?  Surely Amazon just doesn't give it all away.  I'll let you know what I find out!!




9 comments:

  1. Your dinner looks good.
    You got a lot accomplished yesterday.
    Happy Monday!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that the engineers that design RVs don't actually use them, so it's not uncommon for them to make things inconvenient. It also depends on if the workers are having a good day.
    Your meal still looks tasty, just not like their picture. I've mentioned about staging food pictures in the past. Now most producers are using AI generated pictures. Your chances of getting it exactly the same as their's is zip.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right Rick. It should be mandatory they take a two week trip in one before they become a designer!

      Delete
  3. Mr. Ed said Anything you return (UPS is usually a major Amazon Return store ) to Amazon is Put in a 4 x 4 x 4 Pallet box an sent to a fulfillment warehouse. (nothing goes back to Amazon ) Each box is marked and sold to the highest bidder for them. Some people by 1 an or 8 to 10 pallets And yes, some people sell it back through Amazon account. Most are on eBay Facebook, and other resellers or they have a store. It’s a win, lose or draw affair. That’s why you went to pick it up You have no idea what’s in the box until you dig through it . if you pay 100 or $1000 for the box you do your best to recoup your
    There are three of four return sellers here within 10 miles of me it’s very popular even they’ll sell you a pallet for 200 I’ve actually seen some of the stuff that’s been donated to Goodwill stores. The seller can get a tax break doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting ... these guys probably buy the pallets and then sell individual items by auction. More on that today.

      Delete
  4. Interesting about the Amazon return stuff, I didn't know. Your dinner looked pretty much as in the photo, just dice the carrots differently if they don't come pre cut. Love the rose photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinner was okay, but I think I'm getting tired of carrots!! LOL

      Delete
  5. Glad Amazon came up with something for their returns. They used to just throw them all away!

    ReplyDelete