Sunday, March 24, 2024

Pomp and Circumstance

The good news for today is that I'm still alive and kicking.  Although I'm on day 42, I actually did get well for a couple of weeks (even though I continued to cough) before catching whatever this is again.  I'm sure it was the gal at Bingo who coughed in my face.  Why not go to a doctor?  I tried.  Here's the story about THAT!

It seems there is a doctor's consortium-like thing here.  They took a certain insurance for medical care.  For whatever reason, they decided NOT to accept the most widely used insurance company.  Don't ask me who that is because no one would come forth with the info.  Since those doctors refuse to see patients unless they pay cash, all those patients went to OTHER doctors (mine included) and are now so many that I cannot get an appointment for three months.  

If you go to the hospital here, you are most likely to die, so check that one off the list.  The two Urgent Care facilities can't get you in either ... not for just a cough with no fever or other symptoms.  Heal thyself is the current medical care here.  

On THIS morning, I'm not coughing near as much.  I don't know why since I was up all night.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.  I stayed on the couch all day long, feeling just fine except for the cough. The big Elks Installation was last night ... one I've never been to because I'm always in Arizona this time of year.  


Did I ever mention I'm an introvert?  Being single when everyone else has a partner has always been a problem too.  Who do you talk to?  Who do you sit by?  Upon arrival, I walked around the upstairs bar not finding a single person I knew.  I rarely drink, so I don't hang out there.  Finally it was time to head downstairs to meet the incoming group of officers who usually arrive in a limo.  

There aren't any limos in our little town, so the new "boss" drove everyone in his RV.  Little did he know, there is NO parking allowed on this street.  Sooooooo ... who is going to go park the RV since he needs to go upstairs???  There was a mad rush to find a driver.  I just kept my mouth shut for once.

Finally all together in the lodge room, the installation went as planned with lots of pomp and circumstance and hours of clapping.  That was okay since no one could hear me hacking and coughing.  I actually felt okay ... I just could not stop this dry cough.

Next up ... the best part ... dinner.  Table assignments were made.  They told me there would be a Trustee Table so at least I would know SOMEONE!  They lied.  I was seated at a table with complete strangers.  I can't tell you how uncomfortable that is for me.  They introduced themselves, none of whose names I can remember except one.  

Bart is a new officer, the owner of a small trucking company in a nearby town.  It was nice to meet him and his family.  It certainly made the dinner go by faster (and more comfortably for me) because we had one thing in common.  We both love to drive D9 caterpillars!!  

Dinner was the usual scalloped potatoes, bacon and onion green beans, salad, rolls and a big whopping chunk of beef.  Looks like prime rib, yes?  But this is actually a WHOLE New York Steak (because it's cheaper) cut in 1-1/2" thick slices.  I already ate a good portion of it, so I brought the leftovers home to share with Cooper.  Yes it is rare.  If you've ever raised beef in your life, this is how you eat it.  It's as tender as those scalloped potatoes.


Hopefully I was able to explain some of the sidelines of Elkdom to one of our newest victims ... I mean volunteers.  He's young enough to stay around for many years, yet old enough to be old school.  It's going to be a good year.

I did not stay for the dance afterwards ... with a BAND no less.  Why not stay?  Because I'm the only single person.  Wives do not like their husbands dancing with someone else (yes, its a thing), which was no problem at all because I just wanted to get OUT of that tuxedo!

The clouds looked pretty ominous.  I'm driving right into it!


They got worse as I went along and it began to rain.


By the time I got home and thankfully in the house, I heard a terrible noise.  It was so loud I went to see what was up.  THIS was happening!!  My gutter is once again plugged.  I just cleaned these things out!!!  This is SO not good.  


So guess what I'm doing today?  Maybe in six or seven hours, because I could NOT go to sleep last night at all.  My brain would not shut down and the coughing would only subside if I sat upright.  Cooper was not of any help since he kept wanting to get up ... I've no idea why.

I finally just stayed up ... no sleep at all for Nancy on this night.  I'll try to catch some zzzzz's later this morning, after I fix the gutter!   

Maybe some sugary waffles will help!!!




20 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you still have that dang cough. My brother in Merced has the same thing you have. He said the cough just won't go away.
    Rest on that sofa kiddo!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it ... so annoying!! I hope he gets over it soon.

      Delete
  2. In January we lived on NyQuil Cold & Flu Nighttime. Was surprised how much it helped. Hope your better soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe it's time for that remedy. At least I could sleep.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you found someone to talk too. The weather yesterday was crazy. Be careful cleaning the gutters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I will definitely be careful. The flowerbed is too wet to set up the ladder right now. Just hoping it doesn't rain much more.

      Delete
  4. I am, should say WAS now days, such an introvert. At the restaurant I quickly found it comfortable talking to fellow cooks, the waitresses (well, most of them) and other staff...but when I became an Assistant Manager I 'HAD' to talk to the customers. Made myself learn names (one or two a week) and follow the standard, "How are you all doing today?" "How was your Lunch/Dinner?" "How was your service today/this evening?" Eventually it became easier and easier to talk to them. 15+ years later and I am introducing to a crowd of over a thousand the likes of Lt. Gov. Mike Huckabee, Lt Gov. Winthrop Paul Rockefeller to our Rotary Club, etc., etc. I cam to the conclusion that THEY (the supposed big wigs) put their pants on one leg at a time as I did, and that they were not better than any of us non-important people. Win Paul, as he was called, although VERY RICH, was a down to earth human being who died of cancer way too young...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too ... force myself to talk to people ... but I'm so much more comfortable talking to Cooper and Jonathan! LOL

      Delete
  5. All in all a damn good post, I am an introvert that's for sure and I have no friends but I am happy and have a good life with a great family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if that's a trait of bloggers? I'm very happy conversing with my dog and parrot!

      Delete
  6. Know what you mean about the coughing. Nobody likes being the center of attention for that reason.
    That leftover piece of Steak could feed Two.
    They have gutter protection called Leaf-Guards that fit over your existing eavestroughs.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The steak was enough for four of my meals! I tried the leaf guards. They do keep the leaves out, but then I had to take them off every year to get the dirt and sand out anyway, so I left them off.

      Delete
  7. I was going to recommend NyQuil but you have that recommendation. But it is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try it. I tried some once and it made my stomach cramp up so bad I had to say no. Maybe that has changed.

      Delete
  8. You are brave to go at all but that meal looks worth it!! I'll take the fat around the edges, please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of a different crowd. I always feel like I don't belong, but the people really are nice.

      Delete
  9. That is one good looking chunk of beef. I am envious. Meanwhile, most cough syrups, including over the counter, have alcohol. Prescription ones have a downer in them too, like codeine. You could try a snort of something before bedtime. Old home remedies often included a shot of whisky along with honey. That's just a thought, and not a useful one if alcohol is for some reason verboten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try it Judith. No problem with the alcohol. At least may then I could sleep!

      Delete
  10. Because many of your readers are RV folks, the "limo" used as a shuttle is a 1975 or '76 GMC front wheel drive, 26' coach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW!!! I had no idea! I'm amazed it's still on the road! Now I'll have to ask the owner about it.

      Delete