Sunday, March 10, 2024

Baseball Gyrations

Mother Nature is trying really hard to make summer happen.  Lows in the 40's and highs barely hitting 64 make Levis and coats linger.  Cooper and I tried hard to sleep in under the warm covers, but it's difficult when the ridiculous rules of California get in the way.  Oh yes, there's another time change coming up.  I try to stay on Arizona time, but it makes me stay awake at Bingo an hour longer.  That's a tall order.

I don't know what time we went for a walk ... I try not to think about it ... but the sun was shining and it only required an extra shirt.  The grass isn't as high as an elephants eye, but it's getting there.


Weeds are blooming everywhere.  I have to admit, this neighborhood doesn't have any gardeners who grow lots of beautiful flowers, which is a good thing, because then I don't have to keep up with the Jones.


This however ... I wouldn't mind planting one of these, even if I have no idea what it is.  Is this a tulip tree?  It certainly is gorgeous.


As is this one.  Anyone know what it's called?  I would love to plant one in my side yard.  This is at the neighbor's house.  When the house was empty and for sale, I contemplated going over at midnight and digging it up for my yard, since that's probably where it came from in the first place.  There was lots of transplanting going on around here when I moved in.


Remember Peggy?  The organic gardener around the corner?  This is her yard.  It's been this way for as long as I have lived here ... sixteen years so far.  Big piles of leaves and yard trash.  She does have one thing going for her ... no gardener to pay for.


Cooper probably could have continued on, but I was getting overheated ... finally ... so we headed back to the house for some sewing.  I didn't get much done because THIS came on.

I know you're going to laugh ...  maybe you've heard of the Savannah Bananas and the Party Animals Baseball teams.  These guys will make you laugh, even if you don't like baseball.  Every one of these players are from the Major or Minor Baseball Leagues.  But here's the difference ... the pitchers try to see how fast they can get through one inning, often with no shirt.  That usually happens in less than two minutes.  Then they dance between innings ... crazy dancing to loud music like Dirty Dancing.  It's hilarious!!

Their scoring is crazy too ... so in the end it's usually 3-2, no matter how many runs they got.  One guy bats while on stilts making him 10 feet tall .... and runs to the base.  One pitcher wears short shorts (woohoo) and several wear cowboy hats.  The antics will make you shake your head.

They tour the U.S. and play at Minor League parks ... but THIS time they played for the first time ever at    Houston's Major League Minute Maid Stadium.  It was sold out.  Roger Clemons pitched for the Bananas along with another pitcher whose name escapes me.  He didn't do all that well, but he sure had fun.  The stadium was completely sold out.  These guys can play baseball like no other and make everyone laugh at every play.  If you've never seen them, you might give it a try, just for an embarrassed-for-them belly laugh.


In the meantime, I got a jump on St Patricks Day.  I picked up a good piece of corned beef at Walmart (because it was cheaper) that I threw in the instant pot.  NINETY minutes it took to cook, but it came out perfectly!!  Boy do it love this stuff ... salt and all.  


Since I had a strange hankering for carrots that came right out of left field, I roasted some along with a few Brussel sprouts that were WAY past their prime.  It was my nod to cabbage.  A big pile of mashed potatoes would have made it better, but this was more than I could eat.  I have enough leftovers to last until the next time change.


And so I ended another short day with a little rodeo.  I don't know about you, but it sure feels like the days are just screaming by.  One second I'm crawling out of bed and the next I'm crawling back in.  What's up with that???


17 comments:

  1. I've never liked Corn Beef but to be honest, it has been years since I have tried it and my tastes have changed over the years. So maybe I do like corn beef!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its an acquired taste I think. I love the beef, hate the cabbage!!

      Delete
  2. Corn beef looks delicious! I bought one yesterday.
    Enjoy your Sunday.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Echo what Jim said. WHY ruin a piece of beef with that salt solution...I see it and expect it to taste like Roast Beef, and have never been able to get past that thought.

    That tree/bush looks like a Black Tulip Magnolia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason I cook corned beef is for corned beef hash. It's one of my favorites that I never get. No one knows how to cook it any more. That's a fancy name for a tree!! Thank you!!

      Delete
  4. That small tree is a crepe myrtle and they come in different colors, including white, red and the one shown is watermelon red. Crepe myrtle trees are beautiful, but are small, slow growing and very low maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low maintenance ... right up my alley!! I'll see if I can find one.

      Delete
    2. Just don't commit "Crepe Murder"! Look that video up. Kinda funny but why o why do people do that to trees?
      We have several and they make great shade, besides the spring blooms.

      Delete
  5. I'm not a fan of corned beef either. We had a couple of crepe myrtles. They were beautiful but messy when all those little petals fall to the ground. Then one got infested with some sticky aphids that we couldn't get rid of so we pulled them out. But they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh ... that doesn't sound good at all. I remember my Mom wanting one when I was a kid because they are so pretty.

      Delete
  6. Hi,
    Right on the first tree. Tulip. But I think the others are wrong on the second one. I believe that is a flowering Japanese plum. The Crepe myrtle has more of clusters of flowers. The Japanese flowering plum doesn't have plums, but the Jampanese plum does with the same flowers. The leaves are dark red or burgandish.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you call corn beef we call silverside and I love it with mash spuds , I nothing about baseball

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mashed spuds ... perfect with that beef. Corned beef hash is what I make ... chop up potatoes, the beef and fry with some onion. LOVE it!! I guess baseball isn't that popular down under like it is here. Hope you have a good day Jo-Anne.

      Delete
  8. Hope you are proud of yourself. The photo of your plate has just made my mouth water at 10PM. An hour which is my bedtime and NOT one where I should have a plate of food. (As for the trees, I agree with Bob on his ID. I lived in the northeast for a while and they call those trees magnolias....being from the southern tier of states, I was confused, but it is a beautiful tree....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Judith ... I'm with you on the food. No eating after 7:00!!

      Delete
  9. I'm behind on reading, sorry, that corned beef looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete