Friday, March 15, 2024

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

And so we did, though we all didn't lie down long enough.  I could have used another couple hours of sleep.  Visions of numbers were flying through my head and my brain just would not stop talking.  This little guy is so lucky he can just nod off at the drop of a hat and sleep through jet engines and trains.

It happens I live NOT all that close to the old Castle Air Force Base that closed down years ago.  As a kid on the ranch, we used to sit and watch the B-52 bombers fly over during their practice runs.  That happened every time the wind changed directions.  

NOW it has been leased by Fed Ex or UPS for their incoming freights.  Their outgoing flights occur every morning at 2:30 am with a ten minute screaming warmup of those jet engines.  I'm sure most people just sleep through it.  Not me.  The train schedule starts at 3:30 am.  


Here's Mr. Jon hanging out while I fix his breakfast every morning.  I attribute his longevity to his diet, which is about as easy as Cooper's.  He's just as finicky.  Sunflower seed mix, chopped apple, Cole slaw, bananas, a bird biscuit I bake to make sure he gets the vitamins he really needs and his all time favorite (only once in awhile) RITZ crackers.  Jonathan want a cracker??  It's YES every time.


I'm sure you are aware, birds molt.  They lose all their feathers at one time or another throughout the year.  For the last couple of months, it's been the downy undercoat of white fluffy things that fly through the air with the greatest of ease every time you walk by.  At this point in time, it's his flight feathers.  You would hardly know he has RED feathers, along with some very dark blue.  


Oh ... and that picture of him on my shoulder?  He left a nice deposit that dripped all the way down my back.  You never see, hear or feel it ... I'm now cleaning up the couch.

While looking for perches that would work for that OTHER cage, I remembered this one in the garage.  This was Jon's permanent home in the Class A.  It's not too much bigger, but VERY heavy.  I think it will fit perfectly in the 5th wheel.  

I drug it down off the shelf and got it inside to be cleaned up.  I dismantled everything, scrubbed it clean, put in perches and food dishes.  This is IT!  It will be PERFECT!

I drug it all the way back out, scrambled up the stairs, barely slid in between the table and the fridge, only to find it is half an inch too tall to fit under the cabinet.  All the wind got knocked out of me.  I spent two hours getting this thing fixed up and it's the tiniest bit too tall.  TRIPLE RATS!!  I once again managed to get it back in the house ... barely!!  I need to contemplate this for awhile.


Since I was going to be gone for dinner, I whipped up the next Hello Fresh meal for lunch.  This is coconut curry chicken.  I don't know what happened to me when I was younger, but I absolutely LOVE Indian food, which is why I picked this one.  


It obviously doesn't even resemble the picture.  First, they don't give you THAT much chicken, and two, the colors are enhanced on theirs.  I also didn't use tweezers to lay on each piece of green onion!  

But let me tell you ... this was SO GOOD!!  It's definitely a recipe I'll make again.  Tomato paste, curry powder, coconut milk, sour cream ... a very easy meal to prepare.  And I got three MORE meals out of what they give you for just one person.


I then spent an hour on the computer downloading all the financials for the Elks Lodge Trustee Meeting.  It's a lot to go through since we are responsible for the health and wealth of the group.  It was your normal meeting, but at least this time there was no yelling ... loud voices, but no yelling!  It's hard to get twelve people to agree on everything.


PLUS it's time to change the Captain of the ship once again.  It happens every year, which doesn't make sense to me.  It seems if it's all going well, we should just stay the course.  That's what the Trustees do ... keep the ship from sinking.

I'm happy to say everything turned out well, but I didn't get out the door until 9:30.  Ugh ... another short night.  Hopefully I'll catch up today, because tomorrow there's ANOTHER ONE!!!  At least that one comes with a nice dinner!!  

Today I'll pretend I'm a dog, and along with Cooper, we'll be lying (laying?) on the couch!!!



21 comments:

  1. You never really realize how colorful Jonathon is until you really look at him. I, for one, never noticed the red before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is yellow, green, red and navy blue, with all white feathers underneath. Quite the colorful character in more ways than one!

      Delete
  2. Jonathan is a beautiful Parrot! You take very good care of your animals.
    Get some rest kiddo.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon's treat for your shirt reminds me of one of my waiters who owned his own house and had 2-3 other guys living there...had Cockatoos or some sort of birds that they let loose in the house all the time...there was $H!T all over the curtains... Amazingly he ended up marrying a waitress, who had the place fumigated, new furniture, drapes and carpet, and they raised their three kids there and last I looked, still lived in that same home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds like to be high up, so curtain rods are perfect. And oh the mess they can make!

      Delete
  4. A friend from work had a bird that was loose a lot. I saw something on her shoulder and as I flicked it off I asked "what's on your shoulder?" LOL...she started yelling "go wash your hands!" I never flicked anything off her again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha Elva ... I'm lucky that it hasn't happened very many times!

      Delete
  5. Have you thought about putting the Cage somewhere else in the trailer. It would be lots of work to modify the cage.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your rest.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have ... but the only other available space is on the dinette table. Just not a lot of cage space.

      Delete
  6. That looks like a very nice cage and that is probably why you kept it. Perhaps you can figure something out. Jonathan is a nice looking bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good eye Marlene ... it's a VERY nice cage. Hoping I can cut off the little 1/2" legs. One thing I do know, Benno would know how to fix it! LOL

      Delete
  7. People are lying, things are laying. I'm not sure if Cooper is people or thing. :)
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would not have guessed he had red feathers, birds do have a habit of leaving a yucky mess while on one's shoulder or so I have been told. It is so frustrating when something is just a tiny bit too big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone has seen beautiful birds Jo-Anne, you have. Today you'll see how destructive they are! LOL

      Delete
  9. Johnathan is so pretty, white fluff, green or red feathers. He knows it too. 😊
    Cooper couldn't be cute.
    Your meal looks great, can you make it without the delivery? 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely yes on the food. That's kind of my reason for doing this. They all come with recipes. I'm keeping the best ones to make again myself.

      Delete
  10. Mr. Ed said If you get a cage for big J They have outdoor Indoors aviaries one it’s about 35 x 20 x 52 make sure it has wheels and during the day you could wheel it outside
    I used to make them with Square wire mesh. Put Together with hog nails And a double gate They were 30 x 30 x 60 that’s just big enough that they could fly from one side to the other or perch. Like I said, next time you go to Arizona again pick up some Ironwood branches, a lot harder than pine, but never use oak Not good for birds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That red feather is probably an under wing
      people don’t realize that if you have a bird on your hand, raise it up high and then bring your hand down quick the bird will put his wings out to balance himself. You’ll see a lot of different Under wing feathers colors. The prettiest ones are the rainbow lorikeets

      Delete
    2. I had a cage that size once ... but I need this one for inside the 5th wheel. It has to be small enough to fit under the cabinet. Exactly true about seeing bird feathers and the rainbow lorikeets. Some of them are just amazing!

      Delete