Saturday, March 2, 2024

TORNADOS ARE COMING!!! RUN!!!!!

 Good Morning!  I'm happy to announce California is still on the map.  We haven't floated off into the ocean as predicted and as far as I can tell, the 100 mph winds and 12 feet of snow didn't join the party.  Someone made a mistake yesterday and admitted the 100 mph winds would be off the highest peaks of the Sierras ... maybe.  We were warm and cozy yesterday morning as my sidekick never gets far from me. 


It did rain a bit for about an hour, but that was it.  A little on and off during the day and a bit more last night, but no deluge worthy of the crazy predictions.


And then it happened.  TORNADOS ARE COMING ..... RUN!!!  A gigantic tornado was spotted about 40 miles away.  Hmmmmm doesn't exactly look like the midwest tornados they have been predicting.  I think Dorothy and Toto would agree.  Is this even a tornado????

In my very long life in the Central Valley of California, there has only been one tornado, possibly two.  The worst damage reported was a 2 x 4 that went through a dead palm tree in Chowchilla.  What the heck is wrong with the weather reporters.  I think their motive revolves around drama drama drama!  If they make it sound terrible enough, people will watch their news channel and make their ratings go up.  

It's the old Chicken Little ... the sky is falling trick and people are falling for it right and left.  How sad to scare people like that.  

In the OLD days, we used to go skiing in the Sierras every weekend.  The snow was so deep on the way up the hill that we couldn't see over it.  It was like driving through a tunnel.  It was as high as the roof on the lodge, so they cut steps in the snow DOWN 20 feet so we could walk in the lodge door.  This is nothing compared to those days.  


Anyhoo .... my plan was to get Cooper out for a long walk, but that never materialized.  Material got in the way.  I finally unloaded the under-bed storage in the rig.  Who bought all this fabric???????

Good grief ... there was TWICE what I thought I had!  I tried to do some organizing, but it was a waste of time.  I did find a small quilt ready for backing, so I stitched it up and hung it in the "to be quilted" closet.  This was some wild and crazy backing fabric!


Then I got completely distracted by this problem.  This is a very old glass front china cabinet I use for fabric storage.  Anyone remember these roller thingies that keep the doors closed?  The rollers are broken and the doors cannot be shut at all.  I thought to replace them, but come to find out it must have been made in Canada.  Those darn screws that I need to take out .... they have square holes!!


Why would you not build it with Phillips head screws?  I have a screwdriver Bill Richards told me about, but it's for larger screw heads and won't work.  Apparently there's another trip to Harbor Freight in my future.  

Someone suggested getting magnetic gizzies to keep the doors closed, but I don't think there is anything to screw them to unless they are bent at a right angle.  If I buy more like the new one above, I have to drill sixteen new holes.  This is not my idea of fun!!


I did laugh at this one though.  I stole it from Mr. Ed.  


I suppose I could head on off to Harbor Freight, but Snowmagedden and Tornado alley may just keep me glued to my couch for the day.  I'm trying to recover from eating all that food!!!  I hate throwing out good food, so I just try to eat it all instead.

Coming up tomorrow .... my foxy kids are still hanging out.  Thankfully none of them are wearing tuxedos.



18 comments:

  1. We've been patiently been waiting for you to come floating by as California flooded and you house drifted this way. Now you are telling us, that we should be looking in the sky for you to be riding by in a bike with Cooper in the basket?!?!? Be careful out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessirree ... that is EXACTLY right!!! I'll wave as I go by!

      Delete
  2. Pouring like crazy here as I write this. We don't need much more rain but we get what we get.
    Stay dry!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing it's because you are closer to the ocean? We haven't gotten much of anything.

      Delete
  3. Watched a bit of Fox Weather this morning. They went on and on about the 2 feet of snow that hit Truckee. Words like, "Killer Storm" (have not heard of deaths, however) and "Once in a lifetime storm".... Then she says, "At least the idea of a snow drought has been eliminated." They act like the end of the world has arrived. Truckee has an average of 206.6 inches (17 feet) on average each year. If it wasn't for storms like this, they would never reach that level of snowfall...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly. It's just a normal snowstorm and they are making it out to be the storm of the century.

      Delete
  4. I once heard a woman say she had to choose whether to let her extra food go to waste or waist.
    Linda Sand
    ps. We have 57° and sunshine in Minnesota today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we know which one I chose! LOL. Minnesota ... aren't you supposed to be snowed in? YAY for sunshine!

      Delete
  5. Those are definitely Robertson Screws and there are Four Sizes, but the common size used in furniture making is a No. 2 or the Red handled Screwdriver. Woodworkers in the US, used to wish they could get the Robertson Screws more readily because they don't strip as often as the Phillips Screws did.
    If you add pontoons to your rig you could float to the eastern part of the country.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't laugh ... I've seen RV's on pontoons out here! Thanks for the screwdriver info. I'll see if I can find one.

      Delete
  6. Oh-oh, she is swearing at Canada!!! Remember the maple syrup, Nancy. 🇨🇦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHA ... I didn't forget. You'll see it today!!

      Delete
  7. That's the tv for you...hype everything to the max. I just look at my local NWS forecast discussion on the computer for a factual, reasonable version of what they think might happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, all this rain and snow info is coming from the local weather service!

      Delete
  8. Nancy, you probably won't find Robertson screw drivers down here. Try getting a hold of the screw head with a pair of needle nose pliers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm ... I can do that. I'll try it today. I have a small set of screwdrivers in a box, but none of them fit. I'll try the pliers.

      Delete