Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Half Price Melee

 B. I. N. G. O !!!!!   Oh yes my blogger friends ... we are back at the headache-producing local Elks Bingo Hall for some fighting fun!  I mean where else can you go for action like this with the odds of winning cash?  Last night the odds were 129-1.

I always try to sneak in a nap before I go.  I'm up so early in the morning (with absolutely no chance ever of sleeping in), that I have trouble staying awake until I can cash out.  Mr. Cooper waylays that effort most every time.  It's hard to nap with a 15 pound dog sitting on your chest, tapping with his foot to see if you are awake for the ball game.


I did a little sewing and some paperwork, but that was it.  I MIGHT have been on my phone since Facebook crashed at 8:00 for me.  My phone is basically my lifeline to the world.  It wouldn't let me log back in for 3-1/2 hours.  Mostly on Tuesdays, it keeps me informed of who's here and who's out of town so I know if I need to panic and find someone to count cards.


I went in early to get the paperwork for my OTHER Elks job.  It seems I'm now only one of two who know anything about being a trustee.  We have three new people and it's budget time.  Won't THAT be fun!

So here we are in the Bingo Hall.  Probably 15 of those seated here have their SPECIAL chair and SPECIAL place at the table.  They show up at 2:30 to be sure they can sit in their lucky spot.  I start selling cards at 4:30 and we don't play until 6:30.  Oh yeah ... we are serious and oh so superstitious about this game.


Did I mention I found another victim ... I mean "volunteer" ... to learn the infernal machine?  Her name is Nancy ... no relation.  She came along after we began selling and wanted to try it again.  Last time she got so terribly nervous she only lasted 20 minutes.  I did my very best to calm her.

It's hard when you are not familiar with the infernal machine, but are expected to work at lightning speed.  Like little kids on the playground, Bingo players can be cruel. I whispered in her ear a few times, and although she was pretty slow, she did VERY well and only made a couple of mistakes.  I walked away for 30 seconds ... MY mistake.

The infernal machine did a "received on account" transaction.  We don't have any accounts.  It will be fine ... just keep going.  When the line got too long, I stepped back in.  


There were a few skirmishes over who got what cards.  Never EVER grab a card until the person in front of you has completely finished picking their cards.  Papers get torn in half and tempers flare.  The winning card goes in the trash can and it becomes World War III.

Once the line got back down, victim Nancy came back and tried it again.  She did good and I fixed most everything that went wrong.  Later in the evening I let her make all the payouts.  I have no doubt she can take over in a pinch.  YAY!!  

The best part is she's a no nonsense gal like me.  No one is going to pull the wool over her eyes.  She's also an RV person who has invited me to her property in Oregon.  It's a win-win!!

Things did get a little crazy towards the end of the night.  One of our long time players decided she should get more cards for half price.  The only ones half price are the TWO buy-ins and only if you come late.  Extra cards are full price.  She wanted two more cards for cheap and I wouldn't comply.  

She went on to rail at me because she's been coming here for 30 years and they are HALF price in the second half.  Sorry ... not true.  I've been here thirteen years and extra cards have NEVER been half price.  I dodged the pitchfork twice.  Come to find out, if she had just told me she dumped an entire Pepsi on all her papers, we could have completely ignored the fight all together.  Bring me your wet cards and I can replace them for FREE.

She did ... I gave her two new cards ... and off she went.  NOT happy as a clam, but not screaming at me either.  I missed the pitchfork, but not the knives stabbing me in my heart when she left.  Such in Bingo every Tuesday night!

There was no balancing the infernal machine, though I did get within $5.00.  My back wasn't very happy and I just wanted OUT.  I'll have to rest up today, because tomorrow is Penguin Night ... tuxedo time.  And then there are the budget meetings ... oh the fun!!!


11 comments:

  1. That infernal machine looks like a beast!
    Hopefully you can rest up today.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it can be really frustrating, but I couldn't do without it!

      Delete
  2. What is it with the entitled people? They are their own worst enemy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely surprises me. I'm pretty sure most of them live in California too! LOL

      Delete
  3. Bingo again already?? Seems your last Bingo blog was just a couple days ago...oh how time flies when you are having fun visiting Doctors, getting car fixed, having Termite Inspection and oh ya, HOA annual meeting. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Dave ... you have been a busy bee! You have termites there? We have been pretty lucky in this area ... no bugs to speak of.

      Delete
    2. I HOPE to blog about things real soon. And yes, Florida has terrible Termite problems, but the Condo (all 90 units) is Termite Free again...thank God.

      Delete
  4. That's one interesting machine. If we ever get to your area I would love to see it. I read the comments and your responses from yesterday. I hate hate hate the random mailing out of the ballots. I get 3 ballots at our address. There should only be one. If I was good at forging signatures I could vote 3 times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly right ... and I'm sure MANY people do that. I've been in our ballot counting room, and I cannot believe only TWO people can check every ballot signature to the computer signature for the entire county.

      Delete
  5. Your life is a roller coaster, Nancy! How you stay sane is beyond me..........um, I think you are at least! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Patsy ... maybe I'm NOT!!! LOL. Otherwise why would I go to Bingo every Tuesday? Actually the good people make up for it.

      Delete